Thread: Weight training Question

Weight training Question

I use weight vests, ankle, and arm weights in my martial arts training to gain speed and strenght. I was going to transfer this to fencing. I was wondering if any of you have tried it and what were your impressions? Or, has anyone else thought of this?

Since you already know how to use them to the effect you want...yes, use them in fencing training. Most don't know how to use strap on weights and cause more harm than good.

My son uses ankle weights when performing certain strength exercises. But I do limit the use so as not to cause strain and deterioration instead of increase in speed and strength. Same with the wrist weights.

We back country backpack which would be equivalent to the weight vest. I used a weight vest when I used to run competitively. I would assume the weight vest would make you sit in your en guarde more properly and make that position a bit more effortless on the strip. Hmm...that's a thought.

I'm not sure, but I own a VERY good book on weight lifting for the sport called The Ultimate Guide to Weight Training for Fencing, by Robert G. Price. Its very effective- look at it on yahoo!
    touche'!

Weighting is fine for fencing. The main thing to work is what is called core training. Which is the chest and abdominals. You need to work the body, focus the large muscle groups. There are several books out there on this subject. If you can find an experienced sports training who can show you what to work on. The one area weakest with most fencers are the trapes. Develop those areas. The chest is well develop with most martial arts, but the back also needs to be as strong. The stabilizer muscles are also good to work on. Using a medicine ball with a partner is good. The main issue don't over train. Make sure you are resting. I think these are good issues and good questions to ask. Feel free to ask further question, at thebigriddle@hotmail.com Currently I am working on a PE degree and I am a fencing coach.

The Germans have some good books with programs with weight training. Stretching is a very important issue after lifting.

Originally posted by lfortier
    I'm not sure, but I own a VERY good book on weight lifting for the sport called The Ultimate Guide to Weight Training for Fencing, by Robert G. Price. Its very effective- look at it on yahoo!

I took a look at the book on amazon: interestingly there were four "reader reviews" there. Three were glowing praise from anonymous persons all from Boca Raton, Fl. The fouth, from someone who gives his name is pasted below:

3of 4 people found the following review helpful:
    (2/5 stars)
    A RIPOFF September 29, 2003
    This is a workout book only . The exercises are not Fencing -specific. In fact Fencing is only mentioned once and that is the inroduction. There is not explation of how a certain exercise helps say for instance one's lunge, parry, footwork or anything . This book could be about any sport. There aren't even any pictures of persons in fencing equipment. Though out the entire book no Fencer living or dead is mentioned. A major disappointment.Picture a SEAL workout book with no Seals in it , none mentioned and no explaintion of how the program helps them.

Originally posted by Artisan
    I took a look at the book on amazon: interestingly there were four "reader reviews" there. Three were glowing praise from anonymous persons all from Boca Raton, Fl. The fouth, from someone who gives his name is pasted below:

3of 4 people found the following review helpful:
    (2/5 stars)
    A RIPOFF September 29, 2003
    This is a workout book only . The exercises are not Fencing -specific. In fact Fencing is only mentioned once and that is the inroduction. There is not explation of how a certain exercise helps say for instance one's lunge, parry, footwork or anything . This book could be about any sport. There aren't even any pictures of persons in fencing equipment. Though out the entire book no Fencer living or dead is mentioned. A major disappointment.Picture a SEAL workout book with no Seals in it , none mentioned and no explaintion of how the program helps them.
    The book is supposed to strengthen and build the muscles that you use, giving various exercise examples. so for example, when you go to lunge, the muscles in your legs are more developed thus giving you a more powerful lunge. I know this because its one of the things thats improved from the weights. If youre skepitcal about buying, just borrow it from the library and youll see what I mean.
    touche'!