Thread: Dry foil maintenance

Dry foil maintenance

I just started fencing in September of this year and I bought a dry foil. I am wondering what all is required to maintain the dry foil in terms of cleaning, sanding the blade and oiling it? I have looked on the internet and can only find information on maintenance for electric equipment. If any of you have advice on dry foil maintenance, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank-you!

Generally, just wiping the foil down between classes helps. Remember, your body sweat is corrosive. I seldom do more than that and my dry foils have lasted years. I have never had to replace a blade due to rust - but I've never owned a cheap Chinese blade either and my only Russian blade is a StM that I have only had a few months.

If you find your blades rusting a bit, you might use a very light coat of gun oil or 3-in-1 oil. I'd avoid WD-40 as it may be corrosive.

Also, never store your weapons in a bag with your jacket - even a little sweat in your jacket will create moisture in the bag and increase the chance of rust.

I've always stored mine upright, pommel down, against the wall. I don't know that it's the best - perhaps someone else has an opinion here.

As you begin bouting your foil blade will get nicks. I've always used a fine grit sandpaper to clean them up, followed by the obligatory wipe down after handling.

If you practice point control against a wall you might find the tip getting worn. They are relatively cheap to replace, though I've never had to myself. You do need to check them occasionally, though.

That's about all I can think of right off hand. Anyone else?

Oh, BTW - welcome to a wonderful sport!
    Talen
    Beat your plowshares into swords and your pruning hooks into spears. Let the weakling say, "I am strong!" - Joel 3:10

Not much to maintain, like maintaining a .... screwdriver.....or....a hammer. No moving parts. Keep it clean, free of rust. File off sharp burs. If you put some coating on it, wipe it down so you don't leave marks on your opponents jacket. Keep the pommel nut tight. Replace the rubber tip when it falls off.

Tie string to the end and use it as a cat toy when you get electric equipment.

Originally posted by Artisan

Tie string to the end and use it as a cat toy when you get electric equipment.
    Hehe.... My cats already find the tip amusing as it is!

Re: Dry foil maintenance

Minty,

Welcome to our wonderful sport!
    Also I started fencing with a dry foil. The only maintenance I did to my blade was that I removed the rust with paper hankies before every training. And I put a tip of first-aid bandage (Leukoplast) onto it.
    BTW - where are you fencing? How old are you? Please e-mail or PM me! Thanx.
    ***Nusy***
    aka Mrs I_luv_saber
    I'm married to the Hussar of f.net...

My only addition to this list is that you might want to get something to keep your blade in. I DO put my blades and sweaty fencing stuff in the same bag, and as soon as I get home, I take everything wet out and hang it to dry.

But I keep my blades in PVC piping or in foam piping. Either helps keep blades from getting on wet clothes, and helps to keep them from getting damaged in my bag. Worked pretty well.

Good luck

dry foil maintenance

Thanks for your information! I do keep my foil in its own bag away from my clothes and take it out when I get home. For sanding, just any old fine grit sandpaper?

I am training with the University of Calgary Fencing Club here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. website:

www.geocities.com/uofcfencing/

Thanks again!