Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: CONFIRMED: Kaidanov out at Penn State

Blog Entries

CONFIRMED: Kaidanov out at Penn State

I received this rumor yesterday (but from a good source) that Emmanuil Kaidanov is going to be stepping down as Penn State's fencing coach.

Whether this is his choice to retire, or something forcing the move is unknown.

Kaidanov has been coaching at Penn State for 31 years and holds an amazing win record over his time over the men's and women's fencing programs at PSU.

Who is to take over is also up in the air. The same rumors report that Wes Glon will not be promoted to the head coaching position, but there was no definite name thrown about as to who would be taking the reigns.

Kaidanov's bio at PSU: http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...manuilg00.html

Just Joined
    Blog Entries
    Any idea at all when a press release might be made about this?
    They call me MockTundra.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MockTundra View Post
    Any idea at all when a press release might be made about this?
    I can't recall the last time I heard a rumor, and -- included with it -- was the timing of the press release to confirm or deny the rumor.

Am I just not on the correct social media sites?
    hello? and prototoast like this.

Just Joined
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Evans View Post
    I can't recall the last time I heard a rumor, and -- included with it -- was the timing of the press release to confirm or deny the rumor.

My apologies for asking. I just figured since the semester is starting up next week, there may have been some mention from the "source" about when the university might publicly explain why the head coach disappeared.
    They call me MockTundra.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Evans View Post

I heard a rumor (I read this message aloud), that I am in the process of starting, that there will be a press release (can't say what it will say) within the month (which month I can't be sure).

EDIT: Recent events lead me to believe that Kris Ekeren will be named head coach of PennSt.
    Last edited by fdad; 08-23-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MockTundra View Post
    My apologies for asking. I just figured since the semester is starting up next week, there may have been some mention from the "source" about when the university might publicly explain why the head coach disappeared.
    (laughing) No apologies are necessary, of course. But I will point out that he hasn't disappeared yet, so there isn't really anything to explain (or put a press release out for). See, that's why it's rumor.

Of course, on the other hand, this is the internet, and things work very differently here.

For example, in "real life", I'm funny.

Interesting it might be time for a major shift at the top for several programs where you have coaches entrenched for a number of years. Things might be a little different at PSU since they have a considerable budget for fencing and a mandate to win, unlike many of the other programs. Who knows it might be time for a new American coaching sensation to come on board and set the table and direction for American collegiate fencing. PSU would be a perfect place to start for sure, high profile program.

I heard speculation from a very good source based on solid reasoning that this was happening, but from the details (if true) it could be he will remain through this season. That would explain the lack of a press release. Then again, so could the rumor being false.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by piste off View Post
    he will remain through this season. That would explain the lack of a press release. Then again, so could the rumor being false.
    The rumor is true and he will not remain through this season.

Was there an "incident" that triggered all of this? Seems like odd timing, though perhaps long overdue.

Notice that you've never seen Emik and Steve Ballmer at the same time?
    academe and Privateer like this.
    =)=///

Quote Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
    Was there an "incident" that triggered all of this? Seems like odd timing, though perhaps long overdue.
    No one knows why. Yet. Long overdue, you say? I suppose the Patriots ought to fire Bill Bellichick for only getting them to the Super Bowl twice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by indypacers View Post
    Interesting it might be time for a major shift at the top for several programs where you have coaches entrenched for a number of years. Things might be a little different at PSU since they have a considerable budget for fencing and a mandate to win, unlike many of the other programs. Who knows it might be time for a new American coaching sensation to come on board and set the table and direction for American collegiate fencing. PSU would be a perfect place to start for sure, high profile program.
    Before my time but my understanding is that a step down of an entrenched coach at Cal was when the Univ. decided to down rate the fencing program from NCAA to club status. My point being that the old coach had the political traction to keep the NCAA membership. No idea if this is at all analogous to PSU but not all shifts are beneficial.
    J Jefferies

MdA
    Quote Originally Posted by fdad View Post
    EDIT: Recent events lead me to believe that Kris Ekeren will be named head coach of PennSt.
    If that's true then we know that anyone at PSU remotely involved in fencing will have a background check.

CF360 reports Big News should be coming from PSU soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jjefferies View Post
    Before my time but my understanding is that a step down of an entrenched coach at Cal was when the Univ. decided to down rate the fencing program from NCAA to club status. My point being that the old coach had the political traction to keep the NCAA membership. No idea if this is at all analogous to PSU but not all shifts are beneficial.
    I believe that per their agreements post-Sandusky, Penn State is not allowed* to cut any of their other sports for a few more years.

*or risk further, immensely costly sanctions on their football program

Quote Originally Posted by MdA View Post
    CF360 reports Big News should be coming from PSU soon.
    CF360 was unaware of the happenings at Penn State. My paraphrase of his posting is "By now you've heard that Emik is out at Penn State. We will tweet more information as it becomes available publicly."

Why would Wes Glon not be offered the position, I wonder? Age? Or is there a foil coach who's the new flavor of the month?

Rumor has it that all the assistant coaches will share duties. Of course, when no concrete reason is given for a departure such as this, rumor runs rampant. Who knows what we will come up with collectively before what really happened is known!

Odd timing a week after Miles wins World Championship...

Quote Originally Posted by nahouw View Post
    Odd timing a week after Miles wins World Championship...
    Not really.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast