Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By flechewounds1

Thread: Maccabiah 2013

  1. #1
    Just Joined
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    9

    Maccabiah 2013

    Anyone going to Israel in July for the World Maccabiah Games? The national organization hasn't officially announced the fencing team yet, though most have likely already accepted or declined appointment to the US team.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,695
    Quote Originally Posted by David Minton View Post
    Anyone going to Israel in July for the World Maccabiah Games? The national organization hasn't officially announced the fencing team yet, though most have likely already accepted or declined appointment to the US team.
    Well, it certainly won't be the guy who defaulted as noted in post #39 from the Porec thread.

    It's incredible how this stuff happens all the time.
    Last edited by pillow; 04-11-2013 at 04:24 PM. Reason: clarity

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by David Minton View Post
    Anyone going to Israel in July for the World Maccabiah Games? The national organization hasn't officially announced the fencing team yet, though most have likely already accepted or declined appointment to the US team.
    Yes, my son will be fencing Senior Sabre. We have completed a number of forms. Fencers will be there three weeks and we will be visiting for two weeks.
    My understanding is that the fencing is not great but it should be an amazing experience for him. While no official announcement has been made we do know
    several team members attending.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    13,146
    Does USA Fencing select fencers for this event or get involved?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
    Does USA Fencing select fencers for this event or get involved?
    No involvement at all but Maccabiah USA selects the fencers based on USFA national rankings. I believe only 3 are selected per weapon for Juniors and Seniors/Open. Juniors who are ranked high enough in Seniors can choose either division to fence.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,695
    Quote Originally Posted by lovethemvols View Post
    Yes, my son will be fencing Senior Sabre. We have completed a number of forms. Fencers will be there three weeks and we will be visiting for two weeks.
    My understanding is that the fencing is not great but it should be an amazing experience for him. While no official announcement has been made we do know
    several team members attending.
    I believe I read that the Games are self-funded. What's the cost of sending a fencer?--do the organizers cover any expenses?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    49
    It is self funded but I believe there are some grants for those in need. Cost for Junior fencers is 8k and Seniors 5k. Understand that this includes airfare and
    housing for three full weeks in Israel. No more expensive than sending kids (juniors) to sleep away camps for the summer. The athletes spend the first week traveling throughout the country
    while the competitions are the last two weeks. There are individual and team events for all weapons. Fencing spans 2-3 days.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,695
    Quote Originally Posted by lovethemvols View Post
    It is self funded but I believe there are some grants for those in need. Cost for Junior fencers is 8k and Seniors 5k. Understand that this includes airfare and
    housing for three full weeks in Israel. No more expensive than sending kids (juniors) to sleep away camps for the summer. The athletes spend the first week traveling throughout the country
    while the competitions are the last two weeks. There are individual and team events for all weapons. Fencing spans 2-3 days.
    Not that bad considering what you get. Fencing could be better than you think, but it really depends on who shows up.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Damien Lehfeldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by David Minton View Post
    Anyone going to Israel in July for the World Maccabiah Games? The national organization hasn't officially announced the fencing team yet, though most have likely already accepted or declined appointment to the US team.
    Team has been announced.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    259
    http://friendraising.towercare.com/M...dCode=W9991OVV

    I don't know if it includes all the fencers but a lot are here.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Damien Lehfeldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by joralemon View Post
    http://friendraising.towercare.com/M...dCode=W9991OVV

    I don't know if it includes all the fencers but a lot are here.
    Donate to Damien Lehfeldt?!?!? :-p

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    57
    Madison Zeiss (my daughter) will be representing the University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish at the 19th Maccabiah Games - don't know if she's the first ND'r to go - I think there may have been one in the 70's, too.

    Her fundraising page is here

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Gary Z
    Allex and Damien Lehfeldt like this.

  13. #13
    Just Joined
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien Lehfeldt View Post
    I believe that list is still "unofficial" according to Maccabi USA. It's disappointing the Masters team looks to be so small.

    I was also given the impression when I last communicated with them, early last week, that they haven't received commitments from the coaches. Anyone know who is being considered?

  14. #14
    Posting Hound oiuyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Pennsauken, NJ
    Posts
    12,587
    Quote Originally Posted by David Minton View Post
    I was also given the impression when I last communicated with them, early last week, that they haven't received commitments from the coaches. Anyone know who is being considered?
    Coaches are on the linked list.

    B
    "Oh but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

  15. #15
    Senior Member Damien Lehfeldt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Washington, District of Columbia, United States
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by oiuyt View Post
    Coaches are on the linked list.

    B
    I think Brand and Marshall Davis are in.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    653
    Isn't Sara Kass serving as a coach in addition to being a competitor?

Similar Threads

  1. Holy Grail 2013 - March 30, 2013 in Pittsburgh, PA
    By Stormbringer in forum Tournaments and Camps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-22-2013, 12:01 AM
  2. NWFC 2013 Pre-Nationals Foil & Epee Training Camp, Jun22-26, 2013
    By ElGregAndrey in forum Tournaments and Camps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 07:37 PM
  3. NWFC 2013 International Foil Camp - Aug 5-11, 2013
    By ElGregAndrey in forum Tournaments and Camps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 07:31 PM
  4. NWFC 2013 International Epee Camp - Jul28-Aug3, 2013
    By ElGregAndrey in forum Tournaments and Camps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 07:28 PM
  5. Maccabiah
    By alexmb in forum Fencing Discussion
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 12:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26