Thread: Day of Competition

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Day of Competition

Just wondering what everyone else here does to get ready on the day of a meet.

Me, I just eat a tasty breakfast in the morning, do a few a lunges before the competition and then I'm all set and ready to fence. Simple.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I myself usually roll over, throw up, try to figure out where I am and remember what I did the night before, call my uncle to come post my bail, and bid farewell to my cellmate.

Once I get home I do a few tequila shots to numb the throbbing, take some steroids and a handfull of vivarin, then I headbutt the wall and scream at the top of my lungs a few times to really get the juices flowing. I also find it invigorating to ride my kawasaki to the competition without wearing clothes, since most drivers are happy to let me pass them if I follow them real close and leer at them in their rearview mirrors.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Ugh, too many memories of hung over fencing... I seem to do better when I'm hung over though.

I actually do very little before tournaments. If I try to eat it makes me sick so I just drive to the venue, try to get a few warmup bouts before stuff starts and hope my first bout is my opponents first bout too.
    Methix
    "We have enough Youth, how about a fountain of Smart?"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Originally posted by Sildar
    I myself usually roll over, throw up, try to figure out where I am and remember what I did the night before, call my uncle to come post my bail, and bid farewell to my cellmate.

Once I get home I do a few tequila shots to numb the throbbing, take some steroids and a handfull of vivarin, then I headbutt the wall and scream at the top of my lungs a few times to really get the juices flowing. I also find it invigorating to ride my kawasaki to the competition without wearing clothes, since most drivers are happy to let me pass them if I follow them real close and leer at them in their rearview mirrors.
    My pre-tourney routine is much more traditional. First, the ritual sacrifice of a virgin. Immediately following this, the consuption of raw human flesh (red meat for breakfast) and absinthe. After which I load up the hearse with my fencing gear and drive to the venue, practicing my feint and attack moves in traffic on the way over to the delight of my fellow motorists.

After arriving at the venue and signing in I draw a pentacle on the ground in the corner of the facility and then place a warning sign to passersby that disturbing me in my "circle of doom" is strictly forbidden. I then slump in the middle and assume the sullen and angry look of one with fanatical intentions of pointless violence. Once the initial round of bouts is announced I put on my Happy Face mask (yes Cville, some paint jobs strike terror into the hearts of Nobody) and get down to business.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I try to eat healthy, (emphisize the word TRY) then I'll go run or jump a bit to loose my nerves and go with my mom to the tournament and talk to her (she makes me laugh a lot, I can't eat or drink within a hearing range because I'll spit it up laughing, its happened way too many times!)then I'll sit with my mom while she signs me in. after that I'll do warm ups (ex/ jogging, footwork, sprints, stretching...) then I talk to my friends and/or meditate. Then I hope lucks with me today. ;-)
    Proditio plerumque amatur, proditor odio habetur.
    -Plutarch

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Originally posted by Sarah
    I try to eat healthy, (emphisize the word TRY) then I'll go run or jump a bit to loose my nerves and go with my mom to the tournament and talk to her
    Your mum takes you? Lucky - train tickets around the country do not come cheap, especially with a child's pocket money

As for me, I just drink coffee....!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Yeah, my mom is my closest pal. She knows everything about me, kaind of scary huh? She's not your average mom. Surprisingly all my freinds like her! Its weird...
    -Plutarch

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Sarah, as the daughter of a "cool mom" I know where you're coming from. When I was in Jr. High and High school all my friends would say, "oh your Mom is so cool". At the time I wasn't sure I agreed, but it's true. Wait until you get to be in your twenties and can have real adult conversations with one another. It only gets better (I'm being serious here and I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't/doesn't completely hate her parents).

Now as for humorous warm up routines, you should look at the Mongoose aka Max Callao's, pre tournament routine on the Salle Boise website (I think it's www.salleboise.com). I hope he doesn't get mad at me for blowing his cover, cause he fences in my division and despite being a veteran he's a tough customer. There's a serious essay and a humorous one there, so if the one you're looking at doesn't seem particularly funny, you're looking at the wrong one.
    One cat leads to another--Ernest Hemingway.

Writing is very easy. All you do is sit in front of a typewriter (or computer)keyboard and wait until little drops of blood appear on your forehead."
    -- Walter W. "Ked" Smith

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    For me, I just eat a medium-sized breakfast (like 2 packets of instant oatmeal) then arrive at least an hour prior to the event so I can warm-up, do practice bouts with buddies, and get some instruction from my coach. I also find that walking around the tourny room gets me familiar with the place, so I'm not nervous- And then it bouting time.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Catlady:

I think I'm one of the few people in the world who actually has some intelligent conversasions with my mom. (that's 14)

EX/

me: Mom, I'm thinking about calling the United Nations when I turn 16 and inquiring about an internship. What do you think?

mom: Um, the US's United Nations building is in New York.

me: OH. Never mind. I don't want to live in New York. Ok, how about an internship in Russia? That would be so cool! I mean, I could work on my Russian and work with a government official. I'll be with the US embassy!!! I'll have to look into it.

mom: Yeah, they have good fencing there too, I think. But you'll have to save up some money. And do some research... we'll look into it later. So how was fencing tonight? Did you do well?

me: yeah, I actually was THINKING during the bout! *SMILE*

mom: wow, that's a first! I should write this down in your list of accomplishments! "first time to think. ever."

both: laugh for 5 min.s

mom: well, that's shut

both: laugh all the way home.

At least that one started out intelligent... lol!
    -Plutarch