Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By Jason
  • 1 Post By lewis

Thread: Youth Patches. They're Back

Just Joined

Youth Patches. They're Back

Hadn't thought about youth patches, since they seemed to be a thing of the past, as discussed in previous threads. Out of the blue, my daughter just received the Points Winner 2011-2012 patch in the mail. I'm not sure how it was calculated in the past, but the letter that came with it said it was based on results of the 3 Y14 NACs. She didn't get any patches for winning the NACs, let alone the Nikes or warm ups of the past...just a patch out of the blue.

For her, the coolest things are the National finalist t shirts. A medal is worn for a few minutes, but the t shirt is a silent bragging right that can be worn over and over. She never wore her patches after she started fencing opens and cadet events.

I don't know if this means they'll be back for each NAC of the season or what the future plan is. The letter didn't say.

Blog Entries
    US Fencing is saved!

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    It wasn't US Fencing. It was Patch Adams.
    Use the Shift key, people! Keyboard manufacturers everywhere are ineffably saddened when you ignore what they made just for you!

Yeah, patches are back now can I get my back patches from back in the day when USFA frowned upon patches???

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyden View Post
    A medal is worn for a few minutes, but the t shirt is a silent bragging right that can be worn over and over.
    Some medals are better than others. Some live forever in the sock drawer. Some get tossed in a box. Some never leave the fencing bag some never leave the warm=up pocket. Depends on what it was for and who they beat to get it. I take all the medals that are in the shoeboxes the rest of the year and hang them on the 'Christmas' tree - the ones I like best in the front (none is mine so the choices are for the actual result or for the color of the ribbon - red white and blue nac medal ribbons are kind of a bummer - the solid ones in bright colors look better with lights..........). This initiates conversation with the relatives, but more fun for me is to hear the kiddos discussing them - doesn't matter how old the medal - they know who they beat to get the gold ones and the score, and who they lost to and the score for everything else. Points patches are generally won by a kid whose parentals could take junior to every nac.

I disagree - for me the medals are the best. T-shirts are also cool - but in our house apparently better if stolen from a sib than if they belong to you.
    Cracked Pot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyden View Post
    Hadn't thought about youth patches, since they seemed to be a thing of the past, as discussed in previous threads. Out of the blue, my daughter just received the Points Winner 2011-2012 patch in the mail. I'm not sure how it was calculated in the past, but the letter that came with it said it was based on results of the 3 Y14 NACs. She didn't get any patches for winning the NACs, let alone the Nikes or warm ups of the past...just a patch out of the blue.

For her, the coolest things are the National finalist t shirts. A medal is worn for a few minutes, but the t shirt is a silent bragging right that can be worn over and over. She never wore her patches after she started fencing opens and cadet events.

I don't know if this means they'll be back for each NAC of the season or what the future plan is. The letter didn't say.
    YEAH! That means my daughter's patch is in the mail. She will be excited!

Lewis, you don't get this particular patch for just showing up. There is only one patch given for the entire season for each weapon/ age/ gender. Yes, we brought our son to both NACs (some kind of crime, I'm sure), but he was the one who spent countless hours preparing for these tournaments. For him winning this patch was the culmination of an incredibly tough season (and superb coaching). Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Inquartata View Post
    It wasn't US Fencing. It was Patch Adams.
    No, it was Patches O'Houlihan from DodgeBall.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...44136063448745
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WON'T YOU BUY MY TACTICAL WHEEL!!!????

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    Just as long as it isn't Patches the hyena.
    Use the Shift key, people! Keyboard manufacturers everywhere are ineffably saddened when you ignore what they made just for you!