Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colors in fencing

It
    Where it's 72 degrees year round most of the time

Colors in fencing

Having the ability to now wear different colors other than white while fencing. Like the wearing blue knickers, a red/blue color lame', even a pastel jacket. I'm pretty sure you've seen them being used in your local tournaments even some national/international events.

What do you think of it?

Mo

Colors

In the rule book it says that you have to wear "pastel colors.'
    PASTEL COLORS??
    Pink, baby blue, pale yellow, ooooo tough fencing colors. I think they meant pale colors.....
    A friend will bail you out of jail,
    a true friend will help you hide the body...
    : )

i havent seen anyone fencing in colors but dosent that look a little silly? people fencing in pastels? hmmmmm
    my mom says I'm going to hell.....

I'm a girl dangit!

Does that mean I finally get to buy a hot pink fencing outfit?

Wohoo! HOT PINK!
    Have at thee!

oh wow.....now that would be somthing to see....perhaps you would aquire the nickname pepto...as in bismol (sp)

I'm a girl dangit!

Talking about colors, brings back fond memories of Ivan Lee's last year as a Junior. He has his hair Red, White and Blue, so from the back it was Blue, White and Red. He also brought two lames that I told him all year was not going to make it through control, we wouldn't even attempt to submit them. So he bought a lame from France-Lame, the ones that were illegal according to the rules, but they would be allowed. He wore the French Colors on his back, Blue, White and Red to match his hair. He was very colorful and motivated the whole team to the U.S Men's First Team Gold.

The lame didn't come with a tab, so we had to add one, but that's part of the job.
    Donald Hollis Clinton, Jr.
    DHCJr@juno.com

To Teach is to Learn (Japanese Proverb)

Knowing the rule book by heart means nothing, if you don't understand the rules.

This discussion has come up before; check back threads for info.

The USFA allows ANY colors on ANY equipment up to regional competion. At NAC and National events it still has to be "white or a light color" for the body, but the sleeves/legs/gloves/mask can be any color you want.

Personally, I'm all for color in uniforms, the more the better.

My daughter-in-law once drew a parallel between me in whites and an Oompa Loompa, so now I've taken to wearing orange socks with my kit just to needle her.

I was passing one of the vendor's tables at a recent NAC, and I saw some spiffy colors on gloves. One that attracted my attention was of a rather bright flourescent orange. I was sort of in need of a new glove, and gave it some thought. Then it dawned on me that as an epeeist, the *last* thing I needed to do was mark the target for my opponent with flourscent orange. After all, it caught my eye on the table.

I'll stick to basic all white, thank you. More color gives more contrast to their target, and I'd rather not do that.

I love the colors, and for that matter I love the painted mask. I think it is a great way to (visually) distinguish different fencers and it is easier for spectators to find and root for people. Especially when they are not into fencing. I also secretly hope that it annoys the French.

I wish that the USFA would go ahead and allow full color selections in the National events. Most of the folks at my club anyway are not likely to buy a special outfit just for Nationals!

And besides, fencing jackets and knickers (KNICKERS for crimminys sake?!!) look stupid no matter how you cut it, so why not spiff it up a little? Anything to increase viewership/sponsorship/accessibility I am all for. And my mask is really cool!
    Just another lost soul saved by the (hit) First Church of EPEE!

Bona Na Croin. "Neither Collar nor Crown"

Originally posted by lochinvar

The USFA allows ANY colors on ANY equipment up to regional competion. At NAC and National events it still has to be "white or a light color" for the body, but the sleeves/legs/gloves/mask can be any color you want.
    Am I missing something or is the USFA just bit more nonsensical than normal with this one by the way? Who gives a flying frell what color the target area is (at least for Sabre and Foil, the only two that matter ) when it is going to be covered by your Lame, and those can apparently be any color except black!

Just curious.
    Just another lost soul saved by the (hit) First Church of EPEE!

Bona Na Croin. "Neither Collar nor Crown"

The body in this case would refer to the lame color. If you have a lame over it feel free to go nuts on the main body of your jacket.

-B :)
    "Oh but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Hi!

Originally posted by CvilleFencer
    I love the colors, and for that matter I love the painted mask. I think it is a great way to (visually) distinguish different fencers and it is easier for spectators to find and root for people. Especially when they are not into fencing. I also secretly hope that it annoys the French.

Anything to increase viewership/sponsorship/accessibility I am all for. And my mask is really cool!
    Considering that the French national team outfit contains their flag colors on the sides of their bodies, My guess is that your hope is in vain.

I once participated in a competition where the each club was assigned a specific color of tape, and tape bits were issued to each fencer. The tape was put on the side of the mask, covering the ears (epee only competition). This helped a lot with finding people. I you do a team bout and have to switch sides, it would be particulary helpful.

Have a nice time!

Peter Gustafsson

Quit (no longer with us) 135711's Avatar

colors in fencing

I have a dark blue/white glove, and other than that I can't see any political reason why colors are not worn in fencing. But, in looking at it again, why not think about the ability of a fencer to dodge a touch, or visa-versa, score a touch. Remember that dark colors recede on the canvas. Now, some people would automatically think: aha! recede, he can't see it so good, but, it's the opposite.

I'm not sure, but warm colors: red/orange/yellow and white would function about the same; while cool colors blue/black/brown/greens function about the same. So if your smart, you'll wear warm colors to keep the point off and if you don't know, you'll wear dark colors and get hit!

And i have a question for the other person in the other folder about her row; because, well, i'll see what she says.

~)>>-------
    epee

i went and watched a fencing tournament a couple weeks ago and there was a fencer that had a skull painted on the front of his mask it looked really cool and i guess its legal to do that right?
    but isnt it distracting for the other fencer? can you still see thier eyes?

I'm a girl dangit!

I've seen a few masks that have been painted (many cartoon characters and faces meant to be intimidating). I believe a skull face falls under the 'intimidating' category. Why should the rules for that be any different? I suppose that as long as you can see out (for your sake at least! ) then it's legal. And anyway, what do you care if it is distracting to the other fencer?
    ENGUARD
    -)-----
    "To hit, or to be hit."

skull..

i went to an airbrush artist and had him put a skull on mine ..i like it, people get a kick out of, its harder to see your eyes so they cant really tell where you are looking and such...hehe its neat ill post a photo later....
    Graphix
    )-"Graphixaddict"-(

oops another thing

i think that they are right with limiting it to pastels, i saw an SCA fencer who had hiw whole outfit done ina crazy camo patter, and it actually made him a hard target...for instance it was very hard to tell how far he had his weapon arm extended because the paterns would break up his outline and you would lose his arm against the rest of his body...it was annoying
    Graphix
    )-"Graphixaddict"-(

Quit (no longer with us) 135711's Avatar
    i think i want a red glove.

And anyway, what do you care if it is distracting to the other fencer?
    because i havent fenced a fencer with a painted mask and was just wondering if it affected anything like if it was harded to see their eyes nobody in my club has done it and i doubt ill fence anyone soon thats done it....just a dumb question i guess...

I'm a girl dangit!

Actually, its not really a dumb question... I think I missed your point (I assumed you were going to paint your mask). I don't think it really affects much. I haven't had any problems fencing a fencer with a painted mask, but I don't really remember if I could see his eyes or not. I can find out at training today and see if you'd like.
    ENGUARD
    -)-----
    "To hit, or to be hit."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast