• 2 Post By gladius
  • 1 Post By One-Two
  • 2 Post By piste off
  • 1 Post By gladius

Thread: Edoardo Mangiarotti, 93, the end of a living legend

Edoardo Mangiarotti, 93, the end of a living legend

Edoardo Mangiarotti

From the FIS web site (excerpts)

He passed away in his sleep at home in Milan.

Born April 7, 1919, epeeist and foilist formed by his father, Maestro Giuseppe Mangiarotti (who made him fence left handed even though he was naturally right handed), he was the Italian athlete who won the largest number of Olympic medals competing in Berlin 1936 (1 gold), London 1948 (2 silver, 1 bronze), Helsinki 1952 (2 gold, 2 silver), Melbourne 1956 (2 gold, 1 bronze), and Rome 1960 (1 gold, 1 bronze).

He was at all Olympics from Berlin 1936 until Beijing 2008 as an athlete, journalist/special envoy for Gazzetta dello Sport, FIE Secretary General and FIE representative, Head of delegation of Italian Fencing with CIO accreditation.

FIS President Giorgio Scarso shared the sad news this morning with all athletes competing at the Italian National Championships in Bologna where everyone observed a minute of silence. "Today Italian fencing is an orphan. We all have lost a great athlete, an extraordinary sportsman but also an exceptional point of reference."

"This is the passing of an incredible icon," said Valentina Vezzali, second after Edoardo Mangiarotti in the total number of Olympic medals at the Olympics and World Championships. "Edoardo Mangairotti was alwaus present at each Olympics and I remember his passion in following us from the stand and his final embrace. We'll miss him in London but his memory will be with us. I'm sure that he'll be with me when I'll march in the stadium waving the flag."

"I was very close to him," said ME Olympic champion in Beijing, Matteo Tagliariol. "I remember him in Beijing as one of the first ones to compliment me and embracing me. He told me that he had fun in watching the way I nfence. For me he was the 'grandfather of fencing'. I thought of him as a member of my family and felt very close to him."

"Together with my grandfather they were team mates at the London 1948 Olympics," says Aldo Montano, Athen 2004 Olympic champion. "I like to remember him as a family friend but even more for the way he was following fencing every day, even if today's fencing is quite different from when he was an athlete, with passion, focus, and clear technical insight which every now and then lead him to "give us an earful" but always with constructive criticism. I'll always remember him for his warmes embrace after the victory in Athens."

Some memories:

Christian D'Oriola - Edoardo Mangiarotti video Turin, 1953:

Watch the end of the clip...

PHOTOS

Tribute by the FFE

RIP
    Last edited by gladius; 05-25-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Added FFE link
    mike morgan and Allex like this.
    It is well to know something of the manners of various peoples, in order more sanely to judge our own, and that we do not think that everything against our modes is ridiculous, and against reason, as those who have seen nothing are accustomed to think.
    RenÚ Descartes (1596-1650)

Just Joined
    Probably the greatist epeeist of the 20th century. I know he was widely credited with transforming epee from a poke-and-hope game, to a more athletic and ballistic style. There is some great footage of him on Youtube fencing epee around 1940.
    Allex likes this.

Truly a remarkable fencer and man. I visited him at his club in the 80s, and at the time his students were among the best in epee. To this day, I think they were the most athletic fencers I've ever seen. Here is the National Geographic piece that was done near that time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8RA9q_ep5Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl4PK...hannel&list=UL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6CRC...hannel&list=UL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEA77...feature=relmfu

I remember thinking what a warm person he was to welcome a young stranger into his club so graciously (even nice enough to write me a letter which I still have). He was a legend, and me a nobody from a (then) backwater fencing country.

Pure class.

Rest in peace, Edoardo.
    damianip and Allex like this.
    "Some people are born great fencers, some people achieve fencing greatness, and some people have it thrust upon them."

My pet Monkey on an IBM selectric

What a loss for the World.
    RIP
    "He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad. And that was all his patrimony."
    Rafael Sabatini - Scaramouche
    http://www.facebook.com/SwordSportPR

Quote Originally Posted by piste off View Post
    Truly a remarkable fencer and man. I visited him at his club in the 80s, and at the time his students were among the best in epee. To this day, I think they were the most athletic fencers I've ever seen. Here is the National Geographic piece that was done near that time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8RA9q_ep5Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl4PK...hannel&list=UL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6CRC...hannel&list=UL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEA77...feature=relmfu

I remember thinking what a warm person he was to welcome a young stranger into his club so graciously (even nice enough to write me a letter which I still have). He was a legend, and me a nobody from a (then) backwater fencing country.

Pure class.

Rest in peace, Edoardo.
    I had a similar experience. He helped me to find a place to stay in Milan. I was introduced to him by Michel Mamlouk who also just passed away. They were very good friends.
    Last edited by sheck61; 05-26-2012 at 10:24 PM.

In memoriam

Giancarlo TorÓn wrote a very touching article about the Edoardo he knew. See HERE

The Italian sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport has two video clips of interviews at his 90th anniversary. Some excerpts:

1. Remembering his long competitive career (from age 17 to 41)

About his opponents: "I always respected my opponents" and he cites Christian D'Oriola who beat him in foil--Mangiarotti fenced foil and epee

Mangiarotti and D'Oriola

An athlete today similar to him: "Tagliariol has the cards to make splendid results. I put him in the class and fencing style of one of my father's students, Cornaggia-Medici, who won in 1932 and could have won in Berlin also, but finished third."

Mangiarotti and Tagliariol - Beijing, 2008

About fencing champions: "You are not born a champion, you become a champion. We become champions when we have a good Maestro and we have inside the will, the desire to continue because fencing is a sport where you must continue, always continue when you become a champion with your own maestro who can advise you, who can put you in the mental and physical condition to be able to go forward, otherwise you stop."

2. In the second clip Un Documentario per Mangiarotti

Comment by his brother Dario: "He was competing for eight straight days, foil and epee. When the competitions were over and he'd would take off his jacket you could see his rib cage because he had become like a toothpick."

And Edo's final comment, "Seventeen Olympics are a lot, you know. I mean starting in 1936 until 2008. Beijing for me is the arrival station of the final stage of my epoch...." It was indeed...
    Allex likes this.
    It is well to know something of the manners of various peoples, in order more sanely to judge our own, and that we do not think that everything against our modes is ridiculous, and against reason, as those who have seen nothing are accustomed to think.
    RenÚ Descartes (1596-1650)