Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Light Turnout for 2012 SN Quals

Light Turnout for 2012 SN Quals

Seeing a light turnout for this years SN qualifiers in Northern Califormia. Men's Div II foil has only 20 competitors. Women's Div II foil has 9. That's with a base competitive membership of 536. When the SN was in Reno we got way more. Even Atlanta had more entries. With the change in venues to Annaheim one would have thought the turnout in Northern California would have been higher.

Go figure.
    J Jefferies

How many people have been qualifying through ROCs?

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I have just reviewed brak's contribution and found it wanting. He's going to have a lie down now...
    Well he says he quit. So I would guess he no longer has any opinion. Which is probably best.

Been here since 9:30 this morning doing the bureaucratic thing. It's now 6:30 and will probably go for a while. Next year I'm signing up to fence it so's I can't be dragooned into acting as an official. Who would have thought a beautiful sunny day in S.F. could be so cold down in a fencing salle. Still I wonder if Prototoast's thought about ROC's might be a clue about the light turnout. Perhaps the NO will post numbers about how many qualify through Div qualifiers versus ROC's. Still with SN within driving distance I'm surprised at the light turnout.
    J Jefferies

mfp
    Quote Originally Posted by jjefferies View Post
    Seeing a light turnout for this years SN qualifiers in Northern Califormia. Men's Div II foil has only 20 competitors.
    When your division's separate Div II foil qualifier has fewer fencers registering for it than your Div III foil qualifier, one really wonders about the "logic" your EC is using ...
    fdad likes this.

Blog Entries
    Are the number of division members with a C or lower rating and 13 year old or older similar to last year? Just because its the same number of competitive members doesn't mean the number eligible for this event is the same.
    "Sir, didn't I parry"
    "You didn't take advantage of his blade enough, so no."

(I guess i should have romanced it a bit more..."

Quote Originally Posted by mfp View Post
    When your division's separate Div II foil qualifier has fewer fencers registering for it than your Div III foil qualifier, one really wonders about the "logic" your EC is using ...
    The Div II and Div III for men was the same number of competitors. So Perka, as usual I think you're barking up the wrong tree. But either way that should not affect the numbers competing. The women's side was lower in Div 3 than Div 2 but that seems natural with numbers like 9 and 4.
    J Jefferies

Quote Originally Posted by brak View Post
    whats even more sad is that u take something like only 20 ppl showing up at a competition instead of 25 ppl showing up as something very important and worthy of public discussion when there are in fact more important things going on in the world such as war, cancer, poverty, etc. if ur life is so boring to the point where u find that worth public discussion, then that is what's really sad.

to rephrase i guess i speak for most ppl on the forum***
    nthngs more sad than like bad spelling and punctuation so when ur ready please come bck 2 this forum, then most ppl on the forum will surely welcome you unless theyr all dead from war, cancer, poverty, etc. which would be even more sad.

Blog Entries
    Well he says he quit. So I would guess he no longer has any opinion. Which is probably best.
    That's what it shows up as when someone is shown the door by a moderator.
    Alydar likes this.

mfp
    Quote Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
    How many people have been qualifying through ROCs?
    NorCal has only two fencers who are both eligible to fence their Div II or III qualifiers and who have already qualified for Div II/III via an ROC result.

There were 37 in Div 2 epee in EBFG

mfp
    Quote Originally Posted by misha View Post
    There were 37 in Div 2 epee in EBFG
    So why did they make you fence off for third then?

[I thought you were too old to volunteer for extra unneeded bouts now ]

Originally Posted by jjefferies
    Really? Does that mean that hippo didn't disappear under his own volition?
    Your life is not a prize you get at the end of it. But I did get a champagne sabre for my birthday.

jjefferies, where are the results posted? I checked norcalfence.org and results are for 2010-2011 season. Indeed, there's been no update to the site since 2011, mid-year.

Askfred also doesn't have results posted, but I understand that the results should be posted to the norcal division website and not on askfred.
    =)=///

Quote Originally Posted by mfp View Post
    So why did they make you fence off for third then?

[I thought you were too old to volunteer for extra unneeded bouts now ]
    Because whoever was running bout commetee is stuck in the last century?
    They also fenced off bottom 8 of top 16
    "Because you can not qualify just by seeding high"

I wanted to start a separate thread about it but I guess I will just hijack this one

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montoya View Post
    Really? Does that mean that hippo didn't disappear under his own volition?
    It is not a coincidence that a few individuals that were decreasing the overall level of discourse on the boards left at roughly the same time.

This feels really early to me to be running a SN qualifier. I'm much more used to April in my region.

Quote Originally Posted by misha View Post
    Because whoever was running bout commetee is stuck in the last century?
    They also fenced off bottom 8 of top 16
    "Because you can not qualify just by seeding high"

I wanted to start a separate thread about it but I guess I will just hijack this one

WHAT?

Also, I'm pretty sure it's been determined that the vast majority of the time you get more overall qualifiers by having the Div II and III events combined.

Quote Originally Posted by edew View Post
    jjefferies, where are the results posted? I checked norcalfence.org and results are for 2010-2011 season. Indeed, there's been no update to the site since 2011, mid-year.

Askfred also doesn't have results posted, but I understand that the results should be posted to the norcal division website and not on askfred.
    The usual issues. the Div secretary doesn't want the results posted until she's had a chance to double check them. There's always the odd person trying to enter who shouldn't. This year in foil it was an Italian gentleman who hadn't quite understood what qualifier to a national event meant. Thought it was just another tournament. But he was most pleasant and understanding once he grasped the implications. Why the Division website hasn't been updated is another issue entirely.

Anyway someone at EBFG was being too efficient, didn't read their instructions and posted to askfred before they should have. Hopefully the Division will survive.
    J Jefferies

Quote Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
    Also, I'm pretty sure it's been determined that the vast majority of the time you get more overall qualifiers by having the Div II and III events combined.
    It has been argued back and forth ad nauseum. The Division EC examined the different options and voted to have it this way. It gets brought up yearly by those of us who have to suffer through the whole day, 9:30AM to 7:45PM.
    J Jefferies

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MyrddinsPrecint View Post
    I'm sure you meant ' when u get shown the dor by the modr8r'.
    hello? likes this.
    Use the Shift key, people! Keyboard manufacturers everywhere are ineffably saddened when you ignore what they made just for you!

mfp
    The usual issues. the Div secretary doesn't want the results posted until she's had a chance to double check them. [...]
    Anyway someone at EBFG was being too efficient, didn't read their instructions and posted to askfred before they should have.
    And the usual issue that the detailed Fencing Time results posted to askfred don't reflect the oddball format Misha mentioned the division uses, meaning they're quite likely different from the results the division sends in to the USFA.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast