Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 102
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Light Turnout for 2012 SN Quals

  1. #81
    Senior Member MyrddinsPrecint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,272
    Blog Entries
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
    Unfortunately, all the Divisions in Texas are already crazy, we're just very quiet about it. I nominate New England Divison.
    I have said this time and time again: New England Division is super crazy. However, we don't manifest that by obvious fighting and undermining. We do it by agreeing with each other in public for appearance's sake, and then go off in our own corners to viciously out-perform each other. Largely this means no one interacts with each other unless necessary for most of the year, and then Pomme de Terre comes, and everyone attempts to run their part of PdT better than the other parts of PdT, and STILL attempting to avoid each other as much as possible.

    Now, this creates a certain level of overall quality even in smaller clubs with less experience, and not much observable conflict. But that doesn't mean there isn't a massive sea of conflict just slightly under the surface.

    Which is to say, even just the slight rocking that Chris might provide might cause things to EXPLODE.


    I also humbly suggest that we try very very hard not to allow the conversation to get utterly adrift by trying to point out basic logical forms to those who are unreceptive. I speak from experience, as the last time I was involved in that sort of thing, I failed at convincing someone I wasn't a 50-something year old misogynistic man. And then the thread was closed. And I am trying SO VERY HARD to be a grownup. It's not worth it, we'll just end up putting the thread on timeout and make everyone sit in the corner, and we're having so much fun otherwise making fun of All Of The Divisions!

  2. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,987
    Quote Originally Posted by MyrddinsPrecint View Post
    I have said this time and time again: New England Division is super crazy. !

    Hey, I resent this!!!! I have been a New England Division officer for so many years I've lost count and, as you can tell from my posts on this forum, I am the epitome of levelheadedness and maturity.
    Last edited by hello?; 02-29-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    Peach and MyrddinsPrecint like this.

  3. #83
    Senior Member telkanuru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    8,512
    Quote Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
    Over the line. Knock it off.
    That's over the line? I mean, ok. But... what?
    KShan5[PrFC] likes this.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

  4. #84
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    35
    Knock it off that's what.

  5. #85
    Senior Member edew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    CA area
    Posts
    9,461
    Quote Originally Posted by I'mbetterthanyouandknowit View Post
    Knock it off that's what.
    Agreed.

    Telk's being a bit bombastically juvenile.
    =)=///

  6. #86
    Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Somewhere in your nightmares!
    Posts
    38,474
    Quote Originally Posted by evaluna View Post
    So sorry the fact English is my second language offends you.
    Don't feel singled out. Everything offends him. I suspect that he even offends himself.

    Quote Originally Posted by MyrddinsPrecint View Post
    I also humbly suggest that we try very very hard not to allow the conversation to get utterly adrift by trying to point out basic logical forms to those who are unreceptive. I speak from experience, as the last time I was involved in that sort of thing, I failed at convincing someone I wasn't a 50-something year old misogynistic man.
    A-HA! Another transgender WE fencer!
    Use the Shift key, people! Keyboard manufacturers everywhere are ineffably saddened when you ignore what they made just for you!

  7. #87
    Senior Member telkanuru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    8,512
    Quote Originally Posted by edew View Post
    Agreed.

    Telk's being a bit bombastically juvenile.
    OK, sure, I get that. Or, I understand other people getting that. It just seems an odd example to make.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

  8. #88
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    13,130
    It's a general topic - if someone identifies English as their second language, don't continue attacking them over usage. Argue over logic or evidence or rhetoric.

  9. #89
    Senior Member telkanuru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    8,512
    Quote Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
    It's a general topic - if someone identifies English as their second language, don't continue attacking them over usage. Argue over logic or evidence or rhetoric.
    Ok, but I didn't do that. I pointed out (possibly tersely) a correction, to which I received a very defensive response, to which I proffered the opinion that if you don't want to be called out for linguistic mistakes, you should probably learn not to make them.

    I'm just trying to make sure that the line hasn't moved a couple miles closer while I wasn't looking.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

  10. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,987
    Quote Originally Posted by telkanuru View Post
    the opinion that if you don't want to be called out for linguistic mistakes, you should probably learn not to make them.
    Wow.

    I guess you've never attempted to learn a non-dead language?

  11. #91
    Senior Member telkanuru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    8,512
    Quote Originally Posted by hello? View Post
    Wow.

    I guess you've never attempted to learn a non-dead language?
    You would guess incorrectly. However, when I have been in the process of learning a non-dead language, I have never used the fact that I wasn't very good at it to excuse my errors, nor responded negatively to corrections from a more learned source.
    eac and Oshikuru77 like this.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

  12. #92
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    13,130
    Quote Originally Posted by telkanuru View Post
    Ok, but I didn't do that. I pointed out (possibly tersely) a correction, to which I received a very defensive response, to which I proffered the opinion that if you don't want to be called out for linguistic mistakes, you should probably learn not to make them.

    I'm just trying to make sure that the line hasn't moved a couple miles closer while I wasn't looking.
    I don't find that to be a useful response to the situation.

    Yes, we are moving the line to try and improve the forum discussion.
    Peach, schlager7, hello? and 1 others like this.

  13. #93
    Senior Member telkanuru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    8,512
    Quote Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
    I don't find that to be a useful response to the situation.
    Sorry to disappoint.

    Yes, we are moving the line to try and improve the forum discussion.
    Fair enough.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

  14. #94
    Senior Member MyrddinsPrecint's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,272
    Blog Entries
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by hello? View Post
    Wow.

    I guess you've never attempted to learn a non-dead language?
    Hey now, he attempts to use English all the time.

    : P

    While I do not overlook the arguments that others might have made, I wish to add that continuing to engage in an argument about the less than flawless English skills of an ESL speaker is (among other things) pretty freaking lazy. There is a level of creativity and humor that can make up for a certain amount of offensiveness, but it usually requires at least a small amount of effort.
    Peach, qatet and Sinestra like this.

  15. #95
    Senior Member catwood1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Redwood City, Califoria
    Posts
    2,279
    Blog Entries
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by MyrddinsPrecint View Post
    There is a level of creativity and humor that can make up for a certain amount of offensiveness, but it usually requires at least a small amount of effort.
    I disagree! Today, we had a 9 year old doing something stupid. Another 9 year old simply "[Name], what the heck are you doing?"

    No effort, just good comic timing. Had all the adults in the room cracking up!
    "Sir, didn't I parry"
    "You didn't take advantage of his blade enough, so no."

    (I guess i should have romanced it a bit more..."

  16. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    The periphery
    Posts
    2,100
    I'm sorry.

    I've forgotten the topic of this thread.

    Does anyone remember what it was?

    Thanks,

    -w
    Sinestra likes this.

  17. #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    843
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Apostrophe View Post
    I'm sorry.

    I've forgotten the topic of this thread.

    Does anyone remember what it was?

    Thanks,

    -w

    It was about the fact that Division is screwing around with USFA rules
    The results in USFA form are published on AskFred
    http://askfred.net/Results/results.p...989h6fu3#73722

    But final qualification results published on Division website are different in the bottom 8 of top 16
    http://norcalfence.org/images/Files_...ng_2011-12.xls
    Please notice that the guy who was 5th seeded after the pools and lost his DE into 8
    is listed as #10 on AskFred and should have qualified, but listed as #13 and is out of qualifier range

    .

  18. #98
    Senior Member swordsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Statesboro Georgia
    Posts
    1,369
    Well I for one am hoping the USFA will rule on this. It is an interesting question of formats. I really think we sometimes put too much emphasis on getting things over with quicker.
    If you give a man a fire, he is warm for the night.
    If you set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

  19. #99
    mfp
    mfp is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by misha View Post
    It was about the fact that Division is screwing around with USFA rules
    The results in USFA form are published on AskFred
    http://askfred.net/Results/results.p...989h6fu3#73722

    But final qualification results published on Division website are different in the bottom 8 of top 16
    http://norcalfence.org/images/Files_...ng_2011-12.xls
    Please notice that the guy who was 5th seeded after the pools and lost his DE into 8
    is listed as #10 on AskFred and should have qualified, but listed as #13 and is out of qualifier range
    Looks like the NorCal "solved" the problem of the results generated by Fencing Time and posted on askfred differing from the what the division put on its qual sheet by, drum roll .. editing the results on askfred and reposting!

  20. #100
    Senior Member Mauler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Being helpful in Breeland
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by mfp View Post
    Looks like the NorCal "solved" the problem of the results generated by Fencing Time and posted on askfred differing from the what the division put on its qual sheet by, drum roll .. editing the results on askfred and reposting!
    That's pretty f****ing sick!

    Maybe this whole thing is a big joke for them.
    When you have three Romulan Warbirds blocking the escape route, Worf has an emotional breakdown about his childhood toy, Riker announces he's gay, Data's positronic brain gets a virus, and Geordi quits because he's had just one too many imminent warp core breach.... Just sit back, breathe, and follow these simple steps:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2012, 05:36 PM
  2. Foil: White Light, White Light!
    By twisterfencing in forum Armory - Q&A
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 09:47 PM
  3. Not much turnout for DiTD
    By counterattack in forum Fencing Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 03:53 PM
  4. Div II/III quals and the Sep 2006 BoD meeting
    By mfp in forum Fencing Discussion
    Replies: 109
    Last Post: 03-12-2007, 10:46 PM
  5. NAC-C expectations: big turnout?
    By Victor in forum Fencing Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 03:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26