Thread: After watching some videos from plovdiv

After watching some videos from plovdiv

1st zone saber calls make this sport lose credibility. I just got done watching the videos Cyrus of Chaos has uploaded from Plovdiv and I must say WTF? Refereeing criteria is really hard to gauge in the bouts I saw, and at some points one could make the case it's blatantly biased. If you have read some of my previous posts and know who I am, you'll know I am no fan of ROW but this latest stuff is just a bunch of BS. If the latest fad is calling it this way or another then why don't the refs stick to it all the time? I think at one point you even hear some of the US's top saber fencers commenting on one of the videos ( Apithy vs. Oh last touch) about an ''interesting'' touch. These guys are the best in the country and if they seem to have some potential issues with the calls in the the box then maybe this sport needs to take a better look at ROW and how it is called in the first zone and/or everywhere else. I think after watching this shiat I am gonna just go play soccer and learn to take a dive in the penalty area if somebody touches me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYiUNCAPPG0

Atleast if I'm good enough somebody'll pay me. Fencing champions sure as hell ain't gonna get the same kinda snatch this SOb brings in.
    Last edited by esgrima; 02-24-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by esgrima View Post
    If the latest fad is calling it this way or another then why don't the refs stick to it all the time?
    "This is fun for them."
    Use the Shift key, people! Keyboard manufacturers everywhere are ineffably saddened when you ignore what they made just for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Inquartata View Post
    "This is fun for them."
    just like in these bouts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ghn...eature=related
    or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWdX8...eature=related

WTF?

I'm not saying you're wrong.....

But those videos are from a medium sized British competition, where the best you can hope for is volunteer refereeing from competitors.

Check out any sport in any country at domestic amateur level and the refereeing will be questionable at best.

Let's stick to FIEVideo for looking at refereeing consistency/inconsistency shall we?

Watch Phillipe beat Ochiuzzi (sp?) at least 4 times and still lose!

Just Joined
    Quote Originally Posted by Foil.Leicester View Post

But those videos are from a medium sized British competition, where the best you can hope for is volunteer refereeing from competitors.

Check out any sport in any country at domestic amateur level and the refereeing will be questionable at best.

Let's stick to FIEVideo for looking at refereeing consistency/inconsistency shall we?
    I see plenty of the same faces in other international competitions. Definitely not "volunteer refereeing from competitors"...

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    I once remarked to a top referee after a Div I pool that I felt that after every NAC I needed to go home and learn to fence sabre all over again. The "interpretations" seemed to change that much every time.

That was some years ago, and it's abated some since then, thank goodness. Abated, though, not ceased, alas. I still get surprised occasionally, like the most recent instance of learning after 25+ years of fencing sabre that upon successfully evading a monster search for an established PIL one can ONLY hit with a replaced point and not a cut, else the opponent's remise takes precedence. I can only imagine what it's like at the international level.
    Use the Shift key, people! Keyboard manufacturers everywhere are ineffably saddened when you ignore what they made just for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Foil.Leicester View Post

fair enough

Yeah I think a lot of people were wondering about that bout.