Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Summer Nationals Day Schedule Up!

Summer Nationals Day Schedule Up!

And, unbelievably, WE Vets is not the very last event!!!! It's on the very first day!

http://usfencing.org/events/5868/page/13051
    ladyofshalott99 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hello? View Post
    And, unbelievably, WE Vets is not the very last event!!!! It's on the very first day!

http://usfencing.org/events/5868/page/13051
    Thanks for posting! As usual, I have two events that are not next to one another I'm assuming LAX is the most suitable airport.
    “The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.”
    Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures

I heard that LAX was NOT the best place, but can't remember now which airport people had said was the better alternative. Santa Ana? (Only posting this most unhelpful answer in case you were thinking of booking your tickets right away. )

Blog Entries
    I looked at flights but haven't booked yet. John Wayne (SNA) is the closest one, but I'd have to do a connecting flight. LAX is dreadful, but direct. All alternatives seem horrid, as usual
    “The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.”

Horrid from Boston as well. As you posted in another thread, I go there to fence, not to see the sights...so I would have much rather had the convenience of Texas. Oh well. (At least there will be vendors there when I fence, for a change.)

You could also fly into Ontario or Burbank. Probably more expensive financially than LAX, but TONS less stressfull....getting in and out of LAX is a nightmare at the best of times.
    Need fencing equipment? See me at H.O.M. Fencing Supply

Going to your first tournament? Read "Choose yer weapon, Laddie (or: Dude, where's my foil?)"

Wow. With this schedule I might be able to skip close to a week.
    I now dangle to the left....my tassle. Get your minds out of the gutter.
    "Martin was not an optimist; he was a prisoner of hope." Optimism is about assuming there's evidence that justifies your outlook while hope is about creating the evidence and procuring your own happiness or vision of the world. - Professor West

Quote Originally Posted by hello? View Post
    Horrid from Boston as well.
    Really?

BOS-LGB nonstops are available on Jetblue, at decent fares, with first bag free.
    wakeup likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fencerX View Post
    Really?

BOS-LGB nonstops are available on Jetblue, at decent fares, with first bag free.
    Darn. From Philly LGB is twice as expensive as LAX.

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg2121 View Post
    Wow. With this schedule I might be able to skip close to a week.
    Without breaks to eat or sleep? Truly a feat of physical prowess!
    Use the Shift key, people! Keyboard manufacturers everywhere are ineffably saddened when you ignore what they made just for you!

Blog Entries
    Schedule seems odd to me. A polar opposite of what we consistently saw a few years ago.
    "Sir, didn't I parry"
    "You didn't take advantage of his blade enough, so no."

(I guess i should have romanced it a bit more..."

Quote Originally Posted by catwood1 View Post
    Schedule seems odd to me. A polar opposite of what we consistently saw a few years ago.
    Yes. And it means that some of us will have legs when we fence this time.
    SEM Fencer likes this.
    U.S out of Vermont!

Quote Originally Posted by Peach View Post
    Darn. From Philly LGB is twice as expensive as LAX.
    Are you looking for flights in June/July or flights in March/April? The actual low priced airfares don't get released until about 3 months before travel and are usually valid if available until between 21 and 10 days before travel. Before then, airlines figure if you want a ticket that far in advance you're willing to pay extra to get it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
    Are you looking for flights in June/July or flights in March/April? The actual low priced airfares don't get released until about 3 months before travel and are usually valid if available until between 21 and 10 days before travel. Before then, airlines figure if you want a ticket that far in advance you're willing to pay extra to get it.
    Oh, I'm aware. I've also found that certain proportions tend to stay constant and that if I wait long enough I can no longer get the direct flight to the close airport, or the aisle seat. Plus I get backed up at work and miss the window even though I have alerts set up. But based on experience, I'm comfortable with my under-$300 Virgin PHL-LAX flight. And now I don't have to think about it any more.

Quote Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
    Southwest fares for all LA area airports can be booked six months in advance. If the fares go down, one can always rebook and use the credit for a future flight.

In for the annual avalanche of complaints from people for whom the schedule is inconvenient. Some times it works out in your favor, sometimes not.
    kathe23 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emfuser View Post
    In for the annual avalanche of complaints from people for whom the schedule is inconvenient. Some times it works out in your favor, sometimes not.
    No complaints here. My only two events have two days in between them, not much better than last year when I decided the cost didn't warrant staying for the IA, but it's Anaheim and I want to go to Disneyland. I realize USA Fencing lost quite a chunk of money when they moved SN to Anaheim, but for me it worked out. Besides, I've been to Dallas. Repeatedly. I've never been to Anaheim.

Blog Entries
    I looked at flights but haven't booked yet. John Wayne (SNA) is the closest one, but I'd have to do a connecting flight. LAX is dreadful, but direct. All alternatives seem horrid, as usual
    I actually flew through this airport (Wayne/SNA) once to attend a conference at the venue hotel. It was VERY easy to get in/out, and the Super Shuttle was *maybe* a 15-20 minute ride to the venue. Any other airport, ANY time of day, you *will* get caught in traffic. Even at 2am.

Do not underestimate LA.
    The poetry that comes from the squaring off between,
    And the circling is worth it.
    Finding beauty in the dissonance.
    --TOOL, Schism

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emfuser View Post

...You do know I booked our hotel three months ago, right? I did this to minimize your complaining about our events being scheduled so inconvienently far apart.

-EDIT-

<looks up schedule>
    <looks up events>
    <looks up dates actually reserved>

...Dang it.
    Last edited by ladyofshalott99; 02-20-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    The poetry that comes from the squaring off between,
    And the circling is worth it.
    Finding beauty in the dissonance.
    --TOOL, Schism

but it's Anaheim and I want to go to Disneyland.
    Don't worry about taking a cab, then....the park is across the street from the convention center.
    ladyofshalott99 likes this.
    Need fencing equipment? See me at H.O.M. Fencing Supply

Going to your first tournament? Read "Choose yer weapon, Laddie (or: Dude, where's my foil?)"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast