Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Site Selection Survey in today's USA Fencing newsletter

Blog Entries

Site Selection Survey in today's USA Fencing newsletter

For all of us who like to complain about the venue at every opportunity:

Today's USA Fencing newsletter contains a link to a Site Selection Survey. It's buried pretty far down in a Web Part that's mingled with a bunch of other ad callouts, and easily missed. People here seem to care the most about the locations that are chosen, so it makes sense for as many of us as possible to tell them what we really want.

It's geared towards getting feedback about National tournament venues, hotel selection feedback, travel feedback, etc. The survey is fairly short, and took me less than two minutes to complete.
    fencerchica likes this.
    The poetry that comes from the squaring off between,
    And the circling is worth it.
    Finding beauty in the dissonance.
    --TOOL, Schism

I think food and entertainment should have been two different categories. To us, good, healthy, fairly priced food and access to grocery stores is important but entertainment is not as important. Of course, others may feel differently.
    Last edited by teacup; 02-16-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    hello? likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by teacup View Post
    I think food and entertainment should have been two different categories. To us, good, healthy, fairly priced food and access to grocery stores is important but entertainment is not as important. Of course, others may feel differently.
    So... The survey is flawed?

Quote Originally Posted by K O'N View Post
    So... The survey is flawed?
    I mean, that's hardly the only place it's flawed... it's a terribly designed survey which is unlikely to tell them anything.

-m

Quote Originally Posted by epeemike81 View Post
    I mean, that's hardly the only place it's flawed... it's a terribly designed survey which is unlikely to tell them anything.

-m
    Actually, you can only assume that it is flawed. We do not know what they are looking for.
    U.S out of Vermont!

I think the key question was about paying a surcharge for Tier 1 cities. Everything else is unimportant.
    catwood1 likes this.

That question would have been better asked with a 'range' of what you would or would not pay to fence at Tier 1 cities.

Quote Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
    I think the key question was about paying a surcharge for Tier 1 cities. Everything else is unimportant.
    Since that's likely going nowhere, the follow the (kickback) money to find the real key question of interest to PSA and USA Fencing ... "Do you currently use the official USA Fencing hotels? If not, please tell us why."

Blog Entries
    Over the years, because of fencing, I've spent so much time in cities I would never deliberately visit. I'm sure they are nice places. South Bend. Cincinnati. Dallas. Lovely places. I wouldn't know. I spend the entire time in a hotel room or a convention center.

Every other conference I attend, I get to go to neat cities, eat well, and sightsee.

I'd pay extra to fence in a Tier 1 city, but on the other hand my employer wouldn't pay for it.
    “The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.”
    Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures

To be fair, my appreciation for Kansas City, Virginia Beach and Portland is greatly expanded by having gone there for tournaments. But I skipped Des Moines and many others.

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fencerX View Post
    Since that's likely going nowhere...
    Doesn't that assume that the NO actually cares about any negative opinions they're likely to get on that question?

If it happens that the results support what they want, great. If not..."Er, the results were favorable, and no, you can't see the actual numbers, just take our word for it".

Call me a cynic...
    Use the Shift key, people! Keyboard manufacturers everywhere are ineffably saddened when you ignore what they made just for you!

"Cynic" is what an idealist calls a realist.
    "There's this kind of adrenaline rush when you really create something. I mean, why do you think Albert Einstein looked like that?" - Robin Williams

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    Thank you, Sir Humphrey.
    Use the Shift key, people! Keyboard manufacturers everywhere are ineffably saddened when you ignore what they made just for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Peach View Post
    Over the years, because of fencing, I've spent so much time in cities I would never deliberately visit. I'm sure they are nice places. South Bend. Cincinnati. Dallas. Lovely places. I wouldn't know. I spend the entire time in a hotel room or a convention center.
    You need some friends. Maybe try switching weapons. VET epeeists are all into finding the best local cuisine, sights, etc.

Every other conference I attend, I get to go to neat cities, eat well, and sightsee.
    Why the difference.

I'd pay extra to fence in a Tier 1 city, but on the other hand my employer wouldn't pay for it.
    Self Employed? The poll was a bit weird about what is a 1st tier city. New York I can understand. It's pricey any time. But I've attended NAC's in the suburbs of Chicago. No problem there. San Francisco may be 1st tier but you can still find hotels/motels on the BART etc. Seattle, I don't consider it a 1st tier in terms of expense. Portland as well. And even in New York there are localities. Manhattan, way off the chart but out in the sticks or Long Island?
    J Jefferies

I don't know what convention space in Seattle costs. It might be incredibly expensive. I can't imagine what the Moscone Center costs.
    It's entirely possible we looked at various cities and couldn't get them to work. I know Boston is getting a deeper look, and DC got a big boost from the Capitol Clash. I think we will see some newer and bigger cities coming up.

The typical problem for a Tier 1 city is hotel cost. Will you pay $200/nt for a room in a downtown hotel convenient to the venue? That also drives up the cost for staff.

The venue costs in SOME cities (downtown NY and Chicago) for example tend to be higher mostly because the labor rates are astronomical. The space itself is somewhat more expensive, but not usually the determining factor when all the costs are totalled.

another survey, and will USFA really pay any attention to it?

I wonder if the DC Armory could accommodate a NAC. Great big open space roughly comparable to the normal convention center halls, nice sprung floor, public transportation on the Metro, and surely orders of magnitude cheaper than the actual convention center(s).
    trcm likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jjefferies View Post
    You need some friends. Maybe try switching weapons. VET epeeists are all into finding the best local cuisine, sights, etc.
    You suggest friends and offer me vet epeeists? Heh. As for dining and seeing sights, the places I've gone for professional conferences are generally located in the center of popular areas, so that I was able to be comfortably accommodated, make all my sessions, and still find it convenient to sightsee. I have fond memories of Boston and New York, and San Antonio was delightful when I was there for a conference. As for my employer paying, my employer pays for a lot, including a trip to New Zealand a couple of years back. Not that fencing hasn't taken me many wonderful places, including Limoges, Bath, Moscow, Tampa and Porec, Croatia, but I had to pay my own way to those. And I have to say my hotel in Limoges should have been called the Discomfort Inn.

At least I haven't had to go to South Bend in January the last few years. Though I miss Palm Springs, just for the scenery.
    notalent likes this.
    “The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.”
    Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by fencerchica View Post
    I wonder if the DC Armory could accommodate a NAC. Great big open space roughly comparable to the normal convention center halls, nice sprung floor, public transportation on the Metro, and surely orders of magnitude cheaper than the actual convention center(s).
    It looks reasonable. Someone might suggest it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast