Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By prototoast
  • 1 Post By wahrman

Thread: Equipment Vendor unresponsive

Blog Entries

Equipment Vendor unresponsive

Quick survey here: has anyone else ever had problems with delayed service or no response from a vendor, even after having paid for an order? I'm talking a whole week without a tracking number or significant email notification or response.
    Last edited by NeverWas; 02-05-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Who's the vendor?

Did your order go through (i.e. credit card billed, received some sort of confirmation that the order was complete)? If so, wait a few days and you'll probably have your stuff. I've ordered from a lot of different vendors, and have never had any issues with my orders, however, it's important to remember that most (all) of the vendors are small operations, and the order processing is done manually. You won't get the same automated, real-time status updates that you would with say an Amazon.com order, but that doesn't mean something is wrong. If you're worried, there's no harm in sending a quick e-mail, but I would say that as long as you didn't order from Blade, you should be fine.

Blog Entries
    Try calling or emailing to see if they received your order. Sometime the intertubes go down the tubes and things are lost. If you have a confirmation screen, then it should have gone through. As prototoast noted, check your CC to see if the $ has been processed.
    Right-of-way doesn't matter if there is a single light.

Blog Entries
    Ordered a week ago yesterday (Saturday) with express delivery option (3-5 bus. days). Received confirmation email, transaction appeared on bank statement. That Monday a follow-up (apparently automated; not a small operation) email arrived apologizing for the delay but claiming a huge backlog. Two more days passed with no further shipping notification or tracking number. I emailed to ask what was the deal; no response. I emailed again several hours later asking for either a tracking number or a cancellation/refund within the next 12 hours. I then received what was apparently intended to be a bcc internal response asking another person in the organization to "please deal with this." Then radio silence until Friday when I again emailed asking what was up.
    I'd prefer not to name the vendor, but I was just wondering if this kind of thing is more typical during certain times of the season or from certain supply houses.

I can take a stab who it is based on your progression of events, and if it is who I think it is you have no reason to worry about whether you will get the order. Without knowing who it is I cannot say for certain if I have dealt with them and if it is normal or not..

We aren't exactly in a busy season so that shouldn't account for a delay.. could be a stock issue or the shipping email wasn't sent for some reason. Hard to say though..

Quote Originally Posted by NeverWas View Post
    I'd prefer not to name the vendor, but I was just wondering if this kind of thing is more typical during certain times of the season or from certain supply houses.
    Is there a particular reason why? Are you embarrassed to have ordered from Blade?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
    Are you embarrassed to have ordered from Blade?
    Heh! Last time I ordered anything from those guys they had the same reputation. Is it telling that it was 20 years ago?

I'm sure I'll get my toys. This day and age of instant communication just has me spoiled and I can't call and complain until tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverWas View Post
    Ordered a week ago yesterday (Saturday) with express delivery option (3-5 bus. days). Received confirmation email, transaction appeared on bank statement. That Monday a follow-up (apparently automated; not a small operation) email arrived apologizing for the delay but claiming a huge backlog. Two more days passed with no further shipping notification or tracking number. I emailed to ask what was the deal; no response. I emailed again several hours later asking for either a tracking number or a cancellation/refund within the next 12 hours. I then received what was apparently intended to be a bcc internal response asking another person in the organization to "please deal with this." Then radio silence until Friday when I again emailed asking what was up.
    Myself, after receiving the 'bcc' note, I would have called instead of emailed, keeping detailed notes on the call. (I usually prefer to deal with vendors via email so I have the 'written record' as it were' but after the bcc bit, I'd want to be speaking with someone in realtime.
    V

Pointed Comments - Shirts and more for fencers and other sharp people!

I can confirm.....it was NOT me he was dealing with!!!
    Need fencing equipment? See me at H.O.M. Fencing Supply

Going to your first tournament? Read "Choose yer weapon, Laddie (or: Dude, where's my foil?)"

Sounds like you ordered too close to Chinese New Year.
    "a braggart, a rogue, a villaine that fights by the book of arithmatick. Why the dev'l came you betweene us?.."

Quote Originally Posted by the ancient one View Post
    Sounds like you ordered too close to Chinese New Year.
    That happens sometimes. When I placed an order for knickers from my maker in Pakistan, I asked if we were close to Ramadan, since the Eid holidays following the month really slow things down.

And sometimes stuff happens that's simply out of your control...like power issues at the factory (BOY, did that one delay the jacket order I just got!)

Going to your first tournament? Read "Choose yer weapon, Laddie (or: Dude, where's my foil?)"

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Fencer View Post
    I can confirm.....it was NOT me he was dealing with!!!
    Or me!
    Available Now!!"The Care and Feeding of All Things Fencing", Third Edition go to The Armorer's Store or Fencing.net

Just Joined
    That happens sometimes. When I placed an order for knickers from my maker in Pakistan, I asked if we were close to Ramadan, since the Eid holidays following the month really slow things down.

And sometimes stuff happens that's simply out of your control...like power issues at the factory (BOY, did that one delay the jacket order I just got!)
    Is it safe to assume that knickers means something different in the US? Or are you actually ordering acoutrements de lingerie from Pakistan?

Quote Originally Posted by st599 View Post
    Is it safe to assume that knickers means something different in the US? Or are you actually ordering acoutrements de lingerie from Pakistan?
    You must be from the UK!

Knickers in the US means pants that fasten just below the knees....short for Knickerbockers...fencing pants, in our usage.

Sometimes you have to be careful when you say the word. I was eating at a fast food place just after a tournament a couple of years ago and was talking about a specific bout with someone else who'd been there...a bout where one fencer's knickers had split from front to back.

Apparently, when I said something about "knickers had split" to the other guy (who had not seen the bout), a few black guys a couple of tables away thought I was saying the N word. Almost got into a fight there until I explained it.

You lot have special pants for fencing?!

You must be from the UK!

...fencing pants, in our usage.
    crquack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wahrman View Post
    You lot have special pants for fencing?!
    Leiderhosen....but you do NOT wanna see me in those!

Blog Entries
    You must be from the UK!

Knickers in the US means pants that fasten just below the knees....short for Knickerbockers...fencing pants, in our usage.

Sometimes you have to be careful when you say the word. I was eating at a fast food place just after a tournament a couple of years ago and was talking about a specific bout with someone else who'd been there...a bout where one fencer's knickers had split from front to back.

Apparently, when I said something about "knickers had split" to the other guy (who had not seen the bout), a few black guys a couple of tables away thought I was saying the N word. Almost got into a fight there until I explained it.
    Did you hear that Kanye recorded a song about fencing? It's called Knickers in Paris.

Sejanus,

It may not be your busy season, but the vendors are headed every direction you can think of.

I personally just got back from Salt Lake, just long enough to get unpacked, and now headed to Columbus Ohio and then on to Cinncy for the NAC.

Most vendors here in the US do not have 3 to 4 employees. Most of us are just one or two folks trying to keep the cost down so that we can compete.

If you are having a problem, call them. You would be surprised where you might find them. I have more conversations with customers while driving to the next venue than you could imagine. Reaons for the call, I a lot of times don't pull over to check email.

Gary Spruill

Quote Originally Posted by Sejanus View Post
    We aren't exactly in a busy season so that shouldn't account for a delay.. could be a stock issue or the shipping email wasn't sent for some reason. Hard to say though..

I only meant it was not a holiday season, did not suggest or mean that vendors were not busy people. Apologies for any misunderstanding.