Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By prototoast
  • 1 Post By wahrman

Thread: Equipment Vendor unresponsive

  1. #1
    Senior Member NeverWas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    130
    Blog Entries
    2

    Equipment Vendor unresponsive

    Quick survey here: has anyone else ever had problems with delayed service or no response from a vendor, even after having paid for an order? I'm talking a whole week without a tracking number or significant email notification or response.
    Last edited by NeverWas; 02-05-2012 at 04:06 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    3,264
    Who's the vendor?

    Did your order go through (i.e. credit card billed, received some sort of confirmation that the order was complete)? If so, wait a few days and you'll probably have your stuff. I've ordered from a lot of different vendors, and have never had any issues with my orders, however, it's important to remember that most (all) of the vendors are small operations, and the order processing is done manually. You won't get the same automated, real-time status updates that you would with say an Amazon.com order, but that doesn't mean something is wrong. If you're worried, there's no harm in sending a quick e-mail, but I would say that as long as you didn't order from Blade, you should be fine.

  3. #3
    Senior Member jkormann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    1,996
    Blog Entries
    130
    Try calling or emailing to see if they received your order. Sometime the intertubes go down the tubes and things are lost. If you have a confirmation screen, then it should have gone through. As prototoast noted, check your CC to see if the $ has been processed.
    Right-of-way doesn't matter if there is a single light.

  4. #4
    Senior Member NeverWas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    130
    Blog Entries
    2
    Ordered a week ago yesterday (Saturday) with express delivery option (3-5 bus. days). Received confirmation email, transaction appeared on bank statement. That Monday a follow-up (apparently automated; not a small operation) email arrived apologizing for the delay but claiming a huge backlog. Two more days passed with no further shipping notification or tracking number. I emailed to ask what was the deal; no response. I emailed again several hours later asking for either a tracking number or a cancellation/refund within the next 12 hours. I then received what was apparently intended to be a bcc internal response asking another person in the organization to "please deal with this." Then radio silence until Friday when I again emailed asking what was up.
    I'd prefer not to name the vendor, but I was just wondering if this kind of thing is more typical during certain times of the season or from certain supply houses.

  5. #5
    Member Sejanus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    43
    I can take a stab who it is based on your progression of events, and if it is who I think it is you have no reason to worry about whether you will get the order. Without knowing who it is I cannot say for certain if I have dealt with them and if it is normal or not..

    We aren't exactly in a busy season so that shouldn't account for a delay.. could be a stock issue or the shipping email wasn't sent for some reason. Hard to say though..

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    3,264
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverWas View Post
    I'd prefer not to name the vendor, but I was just wondering if this kind of thing is more typical during certain times of the season or from certain supply houses.
    Is there a particular reason why? Are you embarrassed to have ordered from Blade?

  7. #7
    Senior Member NeverWas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    130
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
    Are you embarrassed to have ordered from Blade?
    Heh! Last time I ordered anything from those guys they had the same reputation. Is it telling that it was 20 years ago?

    I'm sure I'll get my toys. This day and age of instant communication just has me spoiled and I can't call and complain until tomorrow morning.

  8. #8
    Senior Member VorpalCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SE VA
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverWas View Post
    Ordered a week ago yesterday (Saturday) with express delivery option (3-5 bus. days). Received confirmation email, transaction appeared on bank statement. That Monday a follow-up (apparently automated; not a small operation) email arrived apologizing for the delay but claiming a huge backlog. Two more days passed with no further shipping notification or tracking number. I emailed to ask what was the deal; no response. I emailed again several hours later asking for either a tracking number or a cancellation/refund within the next 12 hours. I then received what was apparently intended to be a bcc internal response asking another person in the organization to "please deal with this." Then radio silence until Friday when I again emailed asking what was up.
    I'd prefer not to name the vendor, but I was just wondering if this kind of thing is more typical during certain times of the season or from certain supply houses.
    Myself, after receiving the 'bcc' note, I would have called instead of emailed, keeping detailed notes on the call. (I usually prefer to deal with vendors via email so I have the 'written record' as it were' but after the bcc bit, I'd want to be speaking with someone in realtime.
    V

    Pointed Comments - Shirts and more for fencers and other sharp people!
    ...

  9. #9
    Posting Hound Purple Fencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Panorama City, ca USA
    Posts
    14,036
    I can confirm.....it was NOT me he was dealing with!!!
    Need fencing equipment? See me at H.O.M. Fencing Supply

    Going to your first tournament? Read "Choose yer weapon, Laddie (or: Dude, where's my foil?)"

  10. #10
    Senior Member the ancient one's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SF bay area (ca-USA)
    Posts
    1,002
    Sounds like you ordered too close to Chinese New Year.
    "a braggart, a rogue, a villaine that fights by the book of arithmatick. Why the dev'l came you betweene us?.."

  11. #11
    Posting Hound Purple Fencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Panorama City, ca USA
    Posts
    14,036
    Quote Originally Posted by the ancient one View Post
    Sounds like you ordered too close to Chinese New Year.
    That happens sometimes. When I placed an order for knickers from my maker in Pakistan, I asked if we were close to Ramadan, since the Eid holidays following the month really slow things down.

    And sometimes stuff happens that's simply out of your control...like power issues at the factory (BOY, did that one delay the jacket order I just got!)
    Need fencing equipment? See me at H.O.M. Fencing Supply

    Going to your first tournament? Read "Choose yer weapon, Laddie (or: Dude, where's my foil?)"

  12. #12
    Senior Member Mergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Staying in DC; headed back to Texas
    Posts
    2,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Fencer View Post
    I can confirm.....it was NOT me he was dealing with!!!
    Or me!
    Available Now!!"The Care and Feeding of All Things Fencing", Third Edition go to The Armorer's Store or Fencing.net

  13. #13
    Just Joined
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Fencer View Post
    That happens sometimes. When I placed an order for knickers from my maker in Pakistan, I asked if we were close to Ramadan, since the Eid holidays following the month really slow things down.

    And sometimes stuff happens that's simply out of your control...like power issues at the factory (BOY, did that one delay the jacket order I just got!)
    Is it safe to assume that knickers means something different in the US? Or are you actually ordering acoutrements de lingerie from Pakistan?

  14. #14
    Posting Hound Purple Fencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Panorama City, ca USA
    Posts
    14,036
    Quote Originally Posted by st599 View Post
    Is it safe to assume that knickers means something different in the US? Or are you actually ordering acoutrements de lingerie from Pakistan?
    You must be from the UK!

    Knickers in the US means pants that fasten just below the knees....short for Knickerbockers...fencing pants, in our usage.

    Sometimes you have to be careful when you say the word. I was eating at a fast food place just after a tournament a couple of years ago and was talking about a specific bout with someone else who'd been there...a bout where one fencer's knickers had split from front to back.

    Apparently, when I said something about "knickers had split" to the other guy (who had not seen the bout), a few black guys a couple of tables away thought I was saying the N word. Almost got into a fight there until I explained it.
    Need fencing equipment? See me at H.O.M. Fencing Supply

    Going to your first tournament? Read "Choose yer weapon, Laddie (or: Dude, where's my foil?)"

  15. #15
    Senior Member wahrman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    670
    You lot have special pants for fencing?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Fencer View Post
    You must be from the UK!

    ...fencing pants, in our usage.
    crquack likes this.

  16. #16
    Posting Hound Purple Fencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Panorama City, ca USA
    Posts
    14,036
    Quote Originally Posted by wahrman View Post
    You lot have special pants for fencing?!
    Leiderhosen....but you do NOT wanna see me in those!
    Need fencing equipment? See me at H.O.M. Fencing Supply

    Going to your first tournament? Read "Choose yer weapon, Laddie (or: Dude, where's my foil?)"

  17. #17
    Senior Member larkascending's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,110
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Fencer View Post
    You must be from the UK!

    Knickers in the US means pants that fasten just below the knees....short for Knickerbockers...fencing pants, in our usage.

    Sometimes you have to be careful when you say the word. I was eating at a fast food place just after a tournament a couple of years ago and was talking about a specific bout with someone else who'd been there...a bout where one fencer's knickers had split from front to back.

    Apparently, when I said something about "knickers had split" to the other guy (who had not seen the bout), a few black guys a couple of tables away thought I was saying the N word. Almost got into a fight there until I explained it.
    Did you hear that Kanye recorded a song about fencing? It's called Knickers in Paris.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,039
    Sejanus,

    It may not be your busy season, but the vendors are headed every direction you can think of.

    I personally just got back from Salt Lake, just long enough to get unpacked, and now headed to Columbus Ohio and then on to Cinncy for the NAC.

    Most vendors here in the US do not have 3 to 4 employees. Most of us are just one or two folks trying to keep the cost down so that we can compete.

    If you are having a problem, call them. You would be surprised where you might find them. I have more conversations with customers while driving to the next venue than you could imagine. Reaons for the call, I a lot of times don't pull over to check email.


    Gary Spruill




    Quote Originally Posted by Sejanus View Post
    We aren't exactly in a busy season so that shouldn't account for a delay.. could be a stock issue or the shipping email wasn't sent for some reason. Hard to say though..

  19. #19
    Member Sejanus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    43
    I only meant it was not a holiday season, did not suggest or mean that vendors were not busy people. Apologies for any misunderstanding.

Similar Threads

  1. NAC Vendor
    By Greg in forum Armory - Q&A
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 11:46 AM
  2. Fencing equipment vendor in Hong Kong?
    By mfp in forum Armory - Q&A
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-25-2005, 01:48 AM
  3. Vendor
    By Foilboy in forum Armory - Q&A
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 03:14 PM
  4. Equipment Vendor Quality
    By CvilleFencer in forum Fencing Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 08:13 PM
  5. A shameless plug for an equipment vendor...
    By lochinvar in forum Discussion Archive
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-01-2002, 08:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26