Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Rest time between pool bouts

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Rest time between pool bouts

Fencers are allowed a 10 minute break between DE bouts. Is there a rule that establishes a minimum break for a fencer between pool bouts? In the official order of bouts, no fencer ever fences consecutive bouts, which should normally ensure a break of at least a couple of minutes. But what happens if the order is disrupted (for example because of a fencer who withdraws, or because of double-stripping)?

If there is no rule about this is there a generally accepted guideline?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Check o.16.2.

-B
    epeemike81 likes this.
    "Oh but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Thanks. I could have sworn I had already checked that page. So the answer is three minutes.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Is there guidance on a fencer doing 2 weapons, caught between DE in one and pool in the other?

In SoCal, the rule of thumb is that DE takes priority over pool. I've never seen a break given while switching weapons, save whatever time is taken to change gear.

Heck...I got knocked out of an epee DE once time and had to do all of my sabre pool bouts in a row. Tiring, but at least I didn't have a chance to cool down....won the pool, as I recall.
    Need fencing equipment? See me at H.O.M. Fencing Supply

Going to your first tournament? Read "Choose yer weapon, Laddie (or: Dude, where's my foil?)"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    There is no rule covering rests for fencers in multiple events. At the national level it doesn't happen, at the local level it's whatever is most efficient for the tournament.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    If you choose to fence two weapons, you are not entitled to any extra time.

-m
    Ninja Forever likes this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Fencer View Post
    Is there guidance on a fencer doing 2 weapons, caught between DE in one and pool in the other?

In SoCal, the rule of thumb is that DE takes priority over pool. I've never seen a break given while switching weapons, save whatever time is taken to change gear.

Heck...I got knocked out of an epee DE once time and had to do all of my sabre pool bouts in a row. Tiring, but at least I didn't have a chance to cool down....won the pool, as I recall.
    Was is it the Anaheim Righteous Steel Open?

"He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad. And that was all his patrimony."
    Rafael Sabatini - Scaramouche
    http://www.facebook.com/SwordSportPR

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by epeemike81 View Post
    If you choose to fence two weapons, you are not entitled to any extra time.

-m
    I never understood why people would think they should be. I see each event as a separate entity. If you had a foil bout, you're allowed 3 minutes before they will call you for another foil bout. If you happened to be entered in a pushup competition (or epee event) in those 3 minutes, that's your prerogative.
    DavidX likes this.
    Bonehead

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allex View Post
    Was is it the Anaheim Righteous Steel Open?

Ha ha....actually, it wasa regular SoCal event (back when we had them about every weekend....remember THOSE days?). I think the epee was unrated (I ended up 9th, as I recall)..sabre may have been a D and under. It was up in the cafeteria at Chaminade HS, either 2000 or 2001.

Going to your first tournament? Read "Choose yer weapon, Laddie (or: Dude, where's my foil?)"

Just Joined
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    In Utah we've instituted a policy of politely asking foilists to remove their lame when they switch to their epee pool. Compliance is optional, though. Would this be a problem?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Absolutely. A foil Lamé can ground out the epee so that a glancing hit will not register on the scoring box.
    "Rub her feet!" - Lazarus Long, Time enough for Love, Robert A. Heinlein

"Never moon a werewolf."
    Mike Binder

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by half-baked View Post
    In Utah we've instituted a policy of politely asking foilists to remove their lame when they switch to their epee pool. Compliance is optional, though. Would this be a problem?
    Actually, yes. If an epee point lands and depresses the tip while some other portion of the weapon is in contact with the lame (usually the barrel, especially if the point catches a fold in the lame material), the hit could ground out and not register. Same thing foe allowing people to use a sabre mask for epee.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I never understood why people would think they should be. I see each event as a separate entity. If you had a foil bout, you're allowed 3 minutes before they will call you for another foil bout. If you happened to be entered in a pushup competition (or epee event) in those 3 minutes, that's your prerogative.
    Well, it's usually not just that the bouts in different weapons have no break. If you're fencing a DE in epee, but it's your turn to fence a bout in your foil pool which is running concurrently, they will probably just skip that bout. It's not uncommon, then, to have 2 or more bouts in a row when you get back to the foil pool. In this case, the organizers accommodate the two-weapon fencer by reordering the bouts in the pool, but they generally won't also give the fencer three minutes between those pool bouts when they finally run them (often at the end of the pool).

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Let's use the proper terminology, hmm? For foil and sabre, the correct word is "pool". For epee, it's "poo". Please get it right.
    Use the Shift key, people! Keyboard manufacturers everywhere are ineffably saddened when you ignore what they made just for you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    In college, I once had to fence all three of my bouts in a row (vs CSUF) because I had to get back to the GRE exam.
    =)=///

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
    There is no rule covering rests for fencers in multiple events. At the national level it doesn't happen, at the local level it's whatever is most efficient for the tournament.
    I once fenced a division qualifier for Div2/Div3. There were two separate events. For some reason the organizers finished the pools for Div 2, and then did not immediately run the DEs. They started and completed the Div 3 pools and then ran the DE round simultaneously for both. I finished the DE for Div2. They were waiting on the strip to run my DE for Div 3. When I asked for 10 mins I was denied on the basis of the DE being for a completely separate event. It was a drag.

Quit (no longer with us)
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    At least you didn't have to see inquartata fence in drag.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by half-baked View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erik_blank View Post
    Absolutely. A foil Lamé can ground out the epee so that a glancing hit will not register on the scoring box.
    Actually, yes. If an epee point lands and depresses the tip while some other portion of the weapon is in contact with the lame (usually the barrel, especially if the point catches a fold in the lame material), the hit could ground out and not register. Same thing foe allowing people to use a sabre mask for epee.
    I know I already used this one in another thread, but it's awfully true here too:
    telkanuru likes this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by epeemike81 View Post
    I know I already used this one in another thread, but it's awfully true here too:
    However....I was thinking of this line from Half-Baked's very first post:

"A. Junior Epee I stopped a bout to make the fencer remove his foil lame (he was fencing two events at the same time.) I was told that they were told it was OK and it would speed the competition along."

So it WOULD actually be a problem in that it could've easily cost a fencer some points in a qualifier...since someone fencing both foil and epee was allowed to wear their foil lame during their epee event to "speed the competition along."

In reality, the amount of time needed to don a foil lame is minimal. Double-cording is not an issue....people do that all the time.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    However....I was thinking of this line from Half-Baked's very first post:

"A. Junior Epee I stopped a bout to make the fencer remove his foil lame (he was fencing two events at the same time.) I was told that they were told it was OK and it would speed the competition along."

So it WOULD actually be a problem in that it could've easily cost a fencer some points in a qualifier...since someone fencing both foil and epee was allowed to wear their foil lame during their epee event to "speed the competition along."

In reality, the amount of time needed to don a foil lame is minimal. Double-cording is not an issue....people do that all the time.
    ...so, you had seen that post and still failed to recognize his post here as snark relating to that instead of a legit question...

hello?, telkanuru and crquack like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast