Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr Epee
  • 5 Post By Dev

Thread: epee training epee fencers

Just Joined

epee training epee fencers

Hello
    I have been fencing epee for half a year now and my results div2 3rd place nationals have been great. I have fenced foil for many years and decided to switch. I have had the privilege of susie scanlan(womens epee team trying to qualify for the olympics) to watch and fence trying to improve my skills. Anyways I have had trouble with my footwork and that has caused problems with distance and etc. I am stuck in my foil footwork and I need recommendations for epee footwork drills. Even the most basic drills would be helpful.

Every weapon has different footwork I need some help with epee.=)

thanks

Luckily, you live in the age of youtube. I'd suggest browsing around until you find a successful fencer who has a style you can appreciate, or has physical similarity to yourself. Then try to shadow box -hopefully with aid of a mirror for feedback- trying to get a feel for moving in the style of the fencer you watched.

Mimicry is a powerful tool.

This sort of thing is particularly problematic as internet discussion topic. but, good luck.

Sent from my phone.
    shlepzig likes this.
    Take your time. Read carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Epee View Post
    Luckily, you live in the age of youtube. I'd suggest browsing around until you find a successful fencer who has a style you can appreciate, or has physical similarity to yourself. Then try to shadow box -hopefully with aid of a mirror for feedback- trying to get a feel for moving in the style of the fencer you watched.

Mimicry is a powerful tool.

This sort of thing is particularly problematic as internet discussion topic. but, good luck.

Sent from my phone.
    This is EXCELLENT advice. I've recently challenged how I move after watching myself on video, and have found this tip to be an incredible eye-opener. In particular, slow-motion to really get an understanding is key.
    "Some people are born great fencers, some people achieve fencing greatness, and some people have it thrust upon them."

My pet Monkey on an IBM selectric

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by piste off View Post
    This is EXCELLENT advice. I've recently challenged how I move after watching myself on video, and have found this tip to be an incredible eye-opener. In particular, slow-motion to really get an understanding is key.
    Rick,

Didn't I tell you that like three years ago?

To the OP: since you live in MN and get to watch Scanlan fence a whole bunch, I'm assuming you have access to her coach, Ro Sobalvaro. He's a very skilled coach, and while you should definitely follow Mr. E's advice, you should also make as much use of Ro as you can.
    "If I were ever to challenge you to a duel, your best bet would be battle axes in a very dark basement." Misquoted from The Prisoner

"Technical excellence is the antecedant of tactical creativity." - Nat Goodhartz

But those things which belong neither to God nor to Caeser, feeleth free to writeth them off, for yea, they are deductable.

Quote Originally Posted by RITFencing View Post
    Didn't I tell you that like three years ago?
    Perhaps, but I liked the idea better when Mr. Epee wrote it. Kidding aside, you know I am not short on things to work on; and at the time I may not have been ready for the advice.
    "Some people are born great fencers, some people achieve fencing greatness, and some people have it thrust upon them."

Dev
    Just a word of warning to the OP: while video analysis of one's own fencing is an invaluable tool and will help you fix all kinds of stuff, if you've never done it before, brace yourself. The psychological impact of seeing the difference between what you think you're doing and what you're actually doing is pretty... uh... substantial.

Short version: Most people see themselves fence on video and are horrified. I had to be talked off a ledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Epee View Post
    Luckily, you live in the age of youtube. I'd suggest browsing around until you find a successful fencer who has a style you can appreciate, or has physical similarity to yourself. Then try to shadow box -hopefully with aid of a mirror for feedback- trying to get a feel for moving in the style of the fencer you watched..
    To me, you and Mr. Epee seem to be talking about completely different things, so I suspect that one or both of us has a reading comprehension problem.

That's not to say that it's a bad idea to watch video of yourself. I think that it can be very helpful. But I don't think that's what Mr. Epee was saying. Since the original poster's question seemed to be "what should my footwork look like?", looking at videos of other fencers is probably the most useful advice for sl2f at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by tbryan View Post
    To me, you and Mr. Epee seem to be talking about completely different things, so I suspect that one or both of us has a reading comprehension problem.

That's not to say that it's a bad idea to watch video of yourself. I think that it can be very helpful. But I don't think that's what Mr. Epee was saying. Since the original poster's question seemed to be "what should my footwork look like?", looking at videos of other fencers is probably the most useful advice for sl2f at this point.
    Re-read the post, and don't assume it was written incorrectly or without full comprehension of Mr. Epee's thought. Use some software to slow down your reading if it helps.