Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How to deal with bruises?

Blog Entries

How to deal with bruises?

I never bruise so it takes a really hard it for me to turn even the least bit purple. So when today in class I got hit pretty hard but I didn't think anything of it. Until I took of my jacket and where I had gotten hit was already purple and had swollen to the size of a golf ball within and 10 minute time frame. Not to mention a bit of skin taken off. I'm a tad inexperienced with the art of dealing with bruises but I know that I'm kind of screwed until they go away on their own but I am also wondering if there is any way I can prevent these types of really bad bruises from happening. I don't care about little ones but this one is really, really bad.
    "I shall walk this way but once, therefore whatever good I may do, let me do it now, for I shall never walk this way again"- Unknown Poet

First, are you wearing an underarm protector when you fence? Even a thin one can make a world of difference in my experience.

Second, parry and develop better distance.

Third, don't fence people who aren't trying to develop control or who are punching with their foils.

When you get hit, cold compresses and ice will help.

Some folks swear by Arnica gel. I have never tried it, but if things are really bad, you might give it a try.

Finally, you might start doing push-ups or lifting weights to develop muscle tone. It helps prevent bruising and makes hits hurt less.

Where is the bruise? I take you were fencing foil?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldgar View Post
    Where is the bruise? I take you were fencing foil?
    I was fencing epee and even though I'm a beginner my coach thought it would be a great idea to pair me with a nationally ranked epee fencer. Oh and its on my forearm. But at this point it's more of a welt/bruise.
    "I shall walk this way but once, therefore whatever good I may do, let me do it now, for I shall never walk this way again"- Unknown Poet

Quote Originally Posted by foil-luver View Post
    I was fencing epee and even though I'm a beginner my coach thought it would be a great idea to pair me with a nationally ranked epee fencer. Oh and its on my forearm. But at this point it's more of a welt/bruise.
    Forearm bruises are quite common in epee, though you seem to have received a particularly juicy one. It could be your opponent's fault (hitting too hard when not necessary) or your own fault (extending hard into an oncoming attack or counterattack) or a combination of the two. Anyway, from the sound of it, this is the sort of bruise that will fade away fairly soon with no lasting damage.

HOWEVER, if the swelling doesn't reduce over the course of several days, see a doctor. Or if you're the least bit concerned that the injury isn't behaving normally and healing properly, see a doctor. Or if your coach or your more experienced clubmates think it's something out of the ordinary, see a doctor.
    Last edited by Goldgar; 08-25-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    You may want to consider amputation
    I'm happy to answer pointed questions as respectfully as my mood permits

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D'Art View Post
    You may want to consider amputation
    I know I sound wimpy but this is literally my first bruise. I usually never bruise no matter how hard I'm hit. So this hit was apparently a bit more than I could handle. So thats why I sound ridiculous. I'm a begniner and the kid who bruised me is a nationally ranked epee fencer who apparently doesn't care that it was only the second time I had fenced epee and clearly didn't know what I was doing and therefore would have had no trouble winning the bout regardless of how great his urge was to kill me.

Blog Entries
    A similar experience happened to me as well. It was on my third lesson and I was sparring with a girl who clearly knew what she was doing while I had no idea what was going on. She hit me on my thigh and a particularly large and painful bruise was created that lasted for about two weeks. It was, of course, painful but after I put some ice on it the swelling went down. So I guess I know how you feel.
    Your just jealous of my sexy legs! :P
    Sucks to your Auntie! (Lord of the Flies)
    It may not be nice to be good, little 6655321. It may be horrible to be good.
    -A Clockwork Orange

Quote Originally Posted by Burrn'dgirl14 View Post
    A similar experience happened to me ... So I guess I know how you feel.
    Happened to us all at one time or another. Part of the sport. But there are ways to minimize both frequency and severity, some of them mentioned in this thread. Learning to fence better yourself and fencing better opponents tends to reduce (not eliminate) the worst of the bruising. Beginners tend to bruise each other up the most, what with not understanding distance and tending to hit with tense shoulders and all. Don't let it get you down.
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    I was fencing epee
    See, this is 99.9% of your problem...
    Use the Shift key, people! Keyboard manufacturers everywhere are ineffably saddened when you ignore what they made just for you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquartata View Post
    See, this is 99.9% of your problem...
    I know that. That is why I hate epee, well that and the fact that it's just stupid. That was my last time fencing epee. Although sabre looks tempting.

more about bruises and saber

I know that. That is why I hate epee, well that and the fact that it's just stupid. That was my last time fencing epee. Although sabre looks tempting.

Ok, well first, if you get a good bruise, remember to document and post on the Fencing Bruises facebook page! Also, yes, you get the most profound bruises in epee, but the ones you get in saber sting. I love saber and it's my favorite weapon so I am not complaining, mind you! Being saber, you just grit your teeth and suck it up. Besides they are just long welty things, look like a french fry. Good luck with the saber, it's the best!

But of course if you go with sabre you might have to change your name.
    Use the Shift key, people! Keyboard manufacturers everywhere are ineffably saddened when you ignore what they made just for you!

Blog Entries
    But of course if you go with sabre you might have to change your name.
    I'm okay with that.

Blog Entries
    Many of us view those bruises as Badges of Courage, and they certainly give you something to talk about...
    Creator of the Sintered Tungsten Pommel - http://leonpaulusa.com/acatalog/Tung...ed_Pommel.html

There is no courage required for epee. Wait, wait, wait---counterattack. Pick at the arm, pick at the hand, counterattack. Wait some more. Bounce. Wait. Wave weapon around vaguely. Wait. Counterattack.

Somebody do something already!

Blog Entries
    There is no courage required for epee. Wait, wait, wait---counterattack. Pick at the arm, pick at the hand, counterattack. Wait some more. Bounce. Wait. Wave weapon around vaguely. Wait. Counterattack.

Somebody do something already!
    Yes! Do like in sabre and charge aimlessly in the general direction of your opponent!
    Fencing is my only PvP.

No! it's like, advance very quickly, draw their counter-attack, jump back at the last moment, cause them to fall short (if not attempting a stop cut to their wrist on the retreat)...and THEN really attack! It's not ALL rushing forward as fast as you can with swords!

Blog Entries
    Getting hit with an epee hurts, even if you are wearing your PPE. Ice it and and brag about it- that's how most of us deal with bruising. Fencing with an experienced fencer is more safe than practicing with a novice, though. Maybe he was trying to kill you. Seriously,it is possible to tear ligaments and such.

Blog Entries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast