Thread: Tricks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Tricks

This is my first post in this forum, and i think i need some help in fencing(i'm still a beginner). Can you tell me some tricks or ways to win??
    FencingTeam

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    While your opponent is saluting, quickly fleche and poke him (or her) in the eye. (S)He must withdraw from competition and you win.

Of course, if it's sabre, you must flunge instead.
    =)=///

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I knew someone who would make a little doggy head with his back hand by putting his middle and ring fingers straight together with his thumb and his index and pinkie fingers straight up. He would make this dog head look around, hoping to catch his opponent's attention, and then...pow!
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. -- B. Russel

Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings, however, is justice. -- H. L. Mencken

pkt
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    ... after 'fence/allez' has been given use your weapong to point at your opponent's shoe lace that it's undone, when he looks down...flunge if you do sabre,

PK

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    You shouldn't need to do 'tricks'. Its far easier to fence properly (and I mean without tricks) than it is to go to the hassle of doing tricks that more often than not do not work and will more than likely get you into trouble. Honestly, you shouldn't be asking these questions, as you still have much to learn, and I'm surprised you're even asking this. Think about it, would you like your opponent (wether or not they do it anyway) using snide tricks on you? Wether you are winning or losing, It's best to fence with honour and dignity than dirty tricks of little thought.
    I do hope you seriously think about this.
    *~:§abress:~*

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    What I have always put into perspective is that a competition is based on not how many bouts you win, but actually how many points you score. My Maestro always said to not think about winning (albeit winning is always a good thing) but to focus and play the bout a point at a time.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    i wish i knew! i don't use anything special ideas or gadgets or distractions, i think that's what you mean. some fencers use distractors - and it sometimes works, they see it as being part of the reality of fencing. especially the epeeists [look at the rule quiz, you'll see why].

has anyone seen Shy Heidi? I'm trying to send her something, it's a page of downloadable Fencing Clip Art.

Just Joined
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Originally posted by Dav3ey
    I knew someone who would make a little doggy head with his back hand by putting his middle and ring fingers straight together with his thumb and his index and pinkie fingers straight up. He would make this dog head look around, hoping to catch his opponent's attention, and then...pow!
    I would love to see this one actually pulled off, if only for the effect...

Unfortunately, my little doggy heads look nothing like they're supposed to, or I'd try it at the club one night just to see the reaction it gets.

chris

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I have given this a shot on occasion with mixed results. When it works, it will almost certainly ellicit complaints. When it doesn't work, it fails miserably since you are dividing your own focus between fencing and your little psy-op.

The most difficult part is recognizing the moment of distraction and attacking in that small window. The most common reaction to a distraction like this (visible with a fencing mask on) is a subtle pause in the opponents hand/blade motion as s/he loses mental focus on the weapons. Take the opponent's blade in a high-line bind and flèche away!

Oh, and your doggie head needn't look great. These days, having your back hand classically up is so rare, it may be a distraction in and of itself!
    Last edited by Dav3ey; 02-17-2003 at 01:19 PM.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. -- B. Russel

Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings, however, is justice. -- H. L. Mencken

pkt
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Hey Magma,

Why don't u post the fecning clipart page here so we can all share it?

Please?

PK

Just Joined
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Yeah - even avoiding the whole "what is and what isn't appropriate psy-ops in fencing" debate, I'd think the doggie-head would be too distracting to oneself (or at least myself) to be of much use.

Still, I have this mental image of facing an opponent, and as we both pause for a moment, a doggie head popping up behind his/her head and taking a look about.

Good point about the classic rear arm position. I suppose even a wave would do the trick, and keep you from worrying "Dang. Does my doggie look like a doggie, or more like a rabbit? Oh, heck. I've been hit. Again."

chris

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    While your opponent is saluting, quickly fleche and poke him (or her) in the eye. (S)He must withdraw from competition and you win.
    after 'fence/allez' has been given use your weapong to point at your opponent's shoe lace that it's undone, when he looks down...flunge if you do sabre

rotflmao!!!!!

They're dreadfully funny! (and just plain dreadful... but oh well! )

*mental note: poke out opponents eye with doggy head whilst they're looking at their shoes*
    I wish there were some giant, economy-size asprin tablet that would work on international headaches. But there isn't. The only cure is patience with reason mixed in. - Lyndon B. Johnson.

Member of the Clarendon Blades.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

dessert!

http://dir.coolclips.com/

alot of people do stupid things on the strip to get a point, or influence the director, it's sort of stupid. But the worst is playing around with the equipment. I think some people realize they went overboard in protecting their 'positions'. Had I realized I was so good, I would'a gone to france!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    OOOh, thanks for the clip link magma! Very cool!
    I wish there were some giant, economy-size asprin tablet that would work on international headaches. But there isn't. The only cure is patience with reason mixed in. - Lyndon B. Johnson.

Member of the Clarendon Blades.

pkt
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Thanks magma.

I like those on the 3rd and last page.
    Hey the last one is more kendo than fencing: They'r doing it two-handedly...

If you go to
    http://www.fechtsport-langenkamp.de
    you can down load their cartoon too.

PK

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Something that worked for me a couple of times at the Junior Epee Elites in Saskatoon on younger than me fencers. Not sure if it's legal at all... But during a close tangle-up after the failed attack either by me or my opponent I'd loudly yell "YEEEEEEEEESSS" or something loud like that as if I already scored. Every time (I only did it in 2- 3 bouts) my opponent would glance at the machine and I'd have a second to land a single touch. However tricks are for extreme occasions only and can often play against you.

pkt
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    aah, that's like in steam sabre:
    never show your pain till after the call's been made.

PK

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    welcome all, they're nice because if you add the clips to your favorites, you can run off stationary with a little fencing person on it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Originally posted by Sabress
    You shouldn't need to do 'tricks'. Its far easier to fence properly (and I mean without tricks) than it is to go to the hassle of doing tricks that more often than not do not work and will more than likely get you into trouble. Honestly, you shouldn't be asking these questions, as you still have much to learn, and I'm surprised you're even asking this. Think about it, would you like your opponent (wether or not they do it anyway) using snide tricks on you? Wether you are winning or losing, It's best to fence with honour and dignity than dirty tricks of little thought.
    I do hope you seriously think about this.
    I think you mistaken it. My meaning of tricks is like some examples(tips) to win, not cheating. (my own opinion) Fencing is no longer fun if cheat.
    Last edited by FencingTeam; 02-19-2003 at 03:06 AM.
    FencingTeam