Thread: NCFDP Chapel Hill--Questions from Grad Student

Senior Member Sins of the Fleche's Avatar

NCFDP Chapel Hill--Questions from Grad Student

Hello,

I remember earlier this summer that a few forum regulars mentioned fencing at/coaching at the NCFDP at UNC. I'm a 1st year grad student at UNC, and I've got a couple of questions:

1) Does the club allow grad students to join?

2) Assuming yes to question 1, When does the club begin normal fall meeting hours?

3) Does the club teach/fence epee? Additionally, the club I came from did not require starting with foil, so is it an issue that I have 2 years of epee with no prior experience in foil?

4) Is there any special rules or traditions that I need to be aware of before coming?

Thanks alot guys.

EDIT: On a side note, I haven't fenced since late April, so apologies in advance if I come and stink up the place.
    "All epeeists wear very expensive running shoes which they have invariably stolen. It is a mark of shame in the epee subculture to wear legally-purchased footwear. Naturally this is difficult to ascertain merely by looking, and of course asking about it can lead to other complications."---Dave Barry (assist to Peach)

Grad students are welcome to join. Rates for students are fairly cheap. I want to say $40 including a weekly lesson but I'm not sure. Épée tends to dominate most nights actually although saber may make a resurgence this year. Coach gives excellent lessons in all 3 weapons but I'm gonna go ahead and say that I think saber and épée are his strongest so you've lucked out there. Regular meetings should resume the first full week of classes if thongs stay true to form but if you need specifics I'd call or email the team's coaching staff as they are the ones that run the club. Good luck!
    I now dangle to the left....my tassle. Get your minds out of the gutter.
    "Martin was not an optimist; he was a prisoner of hope." Optimism is about assuming there's evidence that justifies your outlook while hope is about creating the evidence and procuring your own happiness or vision of the world. - Professor West

Blog Entries
    What bigdawg said.