Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACORN Crime Family Shutting Down Nationwide: Launching Renaming Effort

NWIFencingClub + MCHS Fencing + Red Devil Fencing

Read More ACORN Crime Family Shutting Down Nationwide: Launching Renaming Effort

Thought some folks might be interested in this since tax time is rolling around and you may still have time to get your tax deductible donations in for 2009.
    ACORN Crime Family Shutting Down Nationwide: Launching Renaming Effort - Big Government

ACORN Crime Family Shutting Down Nationwide: Launching Renaming Effort

by Matthew Vadum

ACORN is attempting to perpetrate yet another spectacular fraud on the American people in order to keep tax dollars and foundation grants flowing into its coffers.

With the fallout from the hidden camera videos last fall, congressional funding of ACORN’s election fraud and racketeering business is no longer guaranteed, so ACORN is trying to pass off various state chapters as ”new” groups

As part of the radical group’s fraudulent rebranding scheme, ACORN has renamed its New York chapter New York Communities for Change. Unlike on the West coast where ACORN is at least pretending its renamed California chapter (Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment or ACCE) is not part of the ACORN network, New York Communities for Change shares the same Nevins Street address as ACORN’s Brooklyn office.

A March 4 fundraiser for New York Communities for Change is being hosted by Debra Cooper.

Meanwhile, the Massachusetts branch of ACORN has been renamed New England United for Justice.

[/LEFT]
    More state-level name changes are expected soon while the basic structure of ACORN, which is controlled from the top using interlocking directorates, remains essentially intact.

The ACORN network’s interlocking directorates are deliberately organized to help ACORN escape legal and public scrutiny. “ACORN hides behind a paper wall of nonprofit corporate protections to conceal a criminal conspiracy on the part of its directors, to launder federal money in order to pursue a partisan political agenda and to manipulate the American electorate,” according to a report from the Republican investigators of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

Under indictment in Nevada for election law violations, ACORN feels it can do all this in the light of day because the Obama administration and the Democratic-controlled Congress have no interest in a real investigation of its criminal activities.

These improprieties include but are in no way limited to:

*a nearly $1 million embezzlement by the founder’s brother that was covered up for eight years while the brother (Dale Rathke) remained on the ACORN payroll

*misuse of pension funds

*commingling of public funds

*illegal loan from ERISA-covered pension fund

*failure to pay excise tax on illegal loan

*use of public funds on partisan activities

*money laundering

ACORN doesn’t care about the growing mountain of credible allegations against it because ACORN thinks it is politically untouchable.
    Armouror for Marian Catholic H.S. fencing team, reluctant Saber coach for Red Devils Fencing Club/Lowell H.S., custom rifle builder and ammo maker, dog lover, gentleman farmer, military snowcat/tank collector, cigar smoker, collector of Detonics CombatMaster pistols.

Well, it worked for Blackwater... er Xe.

I just donated the other day to the ACORN national organization, and the www.acorn.org website didn't look like they were trying to rebrand or anything, and Bertha hasn't mailblasted anything suggesting it yet. I'm on their mailing list, so I'll let you know if I hear anything.
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
    ~
    ^[:wq

Also worked for Philips Morris^h^h^h^h^h^h Altria
    Last edited by Fiat Slug; 02-22-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: typo

OT: One in a while someone will post with a snippet of C, vi, or Unix-ey command text, like the control-h Fiat Slug used before to indicate backspaces. Do non-computer civilians actually get this?
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice, theory and practice are different."

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    No.

( and characters )
    Use the Shift key, people! Keyboard manufacturers everywhere are ineffably saddened when you ignore what they made just for you!

That's pretty obscure.

Before keyboards had backspace keys, the sequence "Ctrl h" (Ctrl is an invisible character, denoted via "^") behaved as a backspace in some operating systems. It's stayed on as a legacy. Fiat Slug's "Philips Morris^h^h^h^h^h^h Altria " is a fairly common (among computeristas) expression of typing something, oops, and crossing it out with destructive backspaces followed by a correction.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice, theory and practice are different."

Thank goodness I'm not Kelly Bundy.
    Use the Shift key, people! Keyboard manufacturers everywhere are ineffably saddened when you ignore what they made just for you!

Sorry, you lost me on that. I remember who the Bundy's are, but the reference escapes me...

Kelly's brain could get "full". Once that point was reached anything she learned would displace an existing fact.

I'm just happy that I won't have to lose the ability to do a lunge because I learned that thing about Ctrl H...

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    OT: One in a while someone will post with a snippet of C, vi, or Unix-ey command text, like the control-h Fiat Slug used before to indicate backspaces. Do non-computer civilians actually get this?
    I use vi so constantly that I almost compulsively use vi commands in other editors. I'm usually pretty careful, but I know I have at least one post that ends with :wq

Hell... my signature for example
    ~

NWIFencingClub + MCHS Fencing + Red Devil Fencing
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat Slug View Post
    Also worked for Philips Morris^h^h^h^h^h^h Altria
    Well to be correct, Philip Morris split the company apart, Altria (ticker symbol MO) is the domestic company, Philip Morris (ticker symbol PM) is the international company. So there are now two companies where there was once one. They needed a new name for the domestic company but kept the original ticker symbol on the stock exchange.
    Armouror for Marian Catholic H.S. fencing team, reluctant Saber coach for Red Devils Fencing Club/Lowell H.S., custom rifle builder and ammo maker, dog lover, gentleman farmer, military snowcat/tank collector, cigar smoker, collector of Detonics CombatMaster pistols.

I get most of the off-the-wall references, but I missed that one. A little too geek for me . I've pretty much never ventured further than Linux.
    Last edited by I_luv_saber; 02-23-2010 at 05:52 AM.
    "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by migopod View Post
    I use vi so constantly that I almost compulsively use vi commands in other editors. I'm usually pretty careful, but I know I have at least one post that ends with :wq

Hell... my signature for example
    That's kind of a 'computer guy' tatoo. Though I think vi is vile...

Quote Originally Posted by I_luv_saber View Post
    I get most of the off-the-wall references, but I missed that one. A little too geek for me . I've pretty much never ventured further than Linux.
    That works on Linux too!

Quote Originally Posted by Inquartata View Post
    Kelly's brain could get "full". Once that point was reached anything she learned would displace an existing fact.

I'm just happy that I won't have to lose the ability to do a lunge because I learned that thing about Ctrl H...
    Hah! That would be like me forgetting how to type mid-sente

That's kind of a 'computer guy' tatoo. Though I think vi is vile...
    Heh, I had an old .signature that was:
    You can't spell "Evil" without "vi"
    ~

Back to the topic, "Acorn Crime Family"?

Has someone gone off his meds again?
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by telkanuru View Post
    Back to the topic, "Acorn Crime Family"?

Has someone gone off his meds again?
    Here's a hint, look at the website the story came from, I'll give you a hint it starts with Big and ends with overnment.

Blog Entries

From CBS News

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/02...y6232622.shtml

Those reports cited sources close to the group. But Kevin Whelan, an ACORN spokesman, denied the reports Monday afternoon, telling The American Prospect that "it is not true that ACORN is closed for business all across the country. It still exists."
    In a statement late Monday afternoon, ACORN confirmed to Hotsheet that "today in New York a group of grassroots leaders and organizers who have worked with ACORN for many years announced today that they are establishing a new, state-based organization."

"ACORN's national leadership respects the decision of this dedicated group of community leaders who have done so much to help make their neighborhoods, cities, state, and the country a better and fairer place," said Whelan, the spokesman. "We know they will continue to do great work and we wish them well."
    From the group in California that broke off to launch its own local group:

http://www.calorganize.org/

Nevertheless, those of us who have been working with ACORN in California believe that we can’t wait any longer to be in full control over our destiny. The leadership and staff that were working with ACORN in California made the decision to break off from ACORN and launch a new organization here in California called Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment (ACCE). The organization will work to advance the mission of organizing and empowering low-income communities, and launch a statewide, multi-year campaign to win key policy changes that will break the cycle of continuous fiscal crisis in the state of California and cuts that hurt ordinary people and their communities. Unlike ACORN, ACCE was formed intentionally as a California nonprofit public benefit corporation, which means that by design, it will be subject to strict regulatory oversight by the California Department of Justice. Also unlike ACORN, ACCE will qualify as a “social welfare organization” for federal tax purposes, which means that by design, it will be subject to additional operational and reporting requirements imposed by federal tax law.

Yes, it's like exchanging the SA for the SS...

There, now I've Godwined the thread.

Oh, thank god.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Tangentially related, Blackwater vs. Acorn:
    http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsid...olen-guns.html

"The Senate is holding a hearing today where several current and former Blackwater employees will be testifying, but honestly the only way Congress would stop giving Blackwater money is if it started registering black people to vote."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast