Thread: Fencing Season

Fencing Season

Before anyone points out that I could use the Search feature of f.net, let me just say I've tried it time and again and it doesn't work very, er, well. Thank you.

Fencing season- is there such a thing? I understand the USFA membership is renewed in August, and that the Summer Nationals are the end of a season, but is that it?

I mean, we have competitions all year. Is there an official "season" as in other sports?

Thanks!
    Visit the HOT Fencing store for awesome fencing T-shirts! www.cafepress.com/hotfencing
    www.HOTFencing.com
    hotfencingclub@yahoo.com

Well, the USFA and your local division calendars are a great place to start. But no, no "official" season. But, summer is pretty much dead. Hope that helps!
    "Life is like a wheel, where everyone steals, but when we rise, it's like Strawberry Fields."

Yeah, summer's pretty much considered the off-season. No competitions to speak of, and the club in my hometown even stops holding practices.

I don't like summer.
    - Will

I, too, hate Summer Breaks, and all breaks in fact, since I love fencing and that is how I like to spend any free time.

(HOT Fencing is hosting a competition in August, btw, so there's *one* to speak of. TAAF Summer Games of Texas.)

Thanks for the help! The "there's no official season" answer is what I was looking for.
    Visit the HOT Fencing store for awesome fencing T-shirts! www.cafepress.com/hotfencing
    www.HOTFencing.com
    hotfencingclub@yahoo.com

In the Southern California region the official competitive seasons start early September, with local comps finished by late April/early May (depending on the division)...July is Summer Nationals...so we DO have an official of-fseason in the US...a SHORT one, tho.

The FIE calendar runs across the US one..so worldwide, it never really stops.
    Need fencing equipment? See me at H.O.M. Fencing Supply

Going to your first tournament? Read "Choose yer weapon, Laddie (or: Dude, where's my foil?)"

Blog Entries
    The NCAA does have an official season, and what those athletes are allowed to do at school with their school coach is controled by the on or off season.

I know that we have official at-school fencing from Sept - Feb, then we go to a city club run by the same coaches for the rest of the year.

Okay, so it sounds like it varies by region?
    www.HOTFencing.com
    hotfencingclub@yahoo.com

Blog Entries
    If the revised national schedule had went into effect now, then my current season would have ended last month and won't start again until the end of fall 2010. :/

This thread seems like a good place to ask: Can someone briefly reiterate the logic of having Junior and Cadet seasons unaligned with both the USFA membership season and all the other age categories? I can't remember the original explanation I read or heard. Is it because JOs are considered the end/championships?

Quote Originally Posted by Guided by Wire View Post
    Is it because JOs are considered the end/championships?
    I seem to recall that that was the given reason -- even though JOs have never been a true "championship" since so many of the top fencers don't even bother going. Perhaps this is an attempt to force them to take it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by hello? View Post
    I seem to recall that that was the given reason -- even though JOs have never been a true "championship" since so many of the top fencers don't even bother going. Perhaps this is an attempt to force them to take it seriously.
    The Junior and Cadet World Championships are usually in March/April timeframe. After that it doesn't make sense to have points events that include fencers that will age out of Cadet or Junior before next year's World Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT Fencing Club View Post
    Okay, so it sounds like it varies by region?
    Think bigger.

It starts at the international level, where Juniors, Seniors and Veterans all have their own season.

It carries down through the national level, where some groups (Div 1 and Junior) may try to align themselves with the international season while others tend to align their season with the membership year, building to a climax at Summer Nationals (although at one time I believe the Y10 and Y12 seasons climaxed at JO's - in fact that may have once been their ONLY national event).

Section and Division level seasons also tend to align themselves to the USFA membership year, with local events usually starting in the Fall, but some starting as early as August (in many divisions it's simply a question of who's ready and willing to host an event), followed by JO qualifiers in the late Fall or early Winter, Division and Section qualifiers for Summer Nationals in the late Winter or Spring (bear in mind that the only tournaments divisions and sections are required to hold are those qualifiers). Summer Nationals is the culmination of their season.

Then just to make things even more complicated there are a number of different academic conferences, many of which have their own seasons. The NCAA classifies fencing as a "winter sport" so varsity collegiate teams are strictly regimented, with a season that starts in November and ends in March at the NCAA Championship (and there are limits on what varsity fencers can do outside of NCAA events during that time). Other collegiate and high school leagues tend to make up their own schedules however most are aligned with the academic year so their season usually end sometime in the Spring, before school lets out for the Summer.

Head spinning, I reply, "Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed answer." You get rep.
    www.HOTFencing.com
    hotfencingclub@yahoo.com

The fencing season is much like the tennis and golf season: 24/7/365.
    =)=///

Awesome. As it should be.
    www.HOTFencing.com
    hotfencingclub@yahoo.com