Thread: Does this Jacket Exist?

Does this Jacket Exist?

So I'm thinking about buying a new fencing jacket but I can't seem to find what I want and am wondering if it actually exists.

Ideally I want a full stretch (or nylon) women's fencing jacket that's 350N at around 100 dollars.

Really I want something that's slightly better then the basic beginners jacket (I currently have a nylon) without losing the breathability and stretch. There seem to be a number of jackets that aren't 350N rated at 70 and below, and then the FIE stuff at over 200, with the leon paul 350 stretch stuff coming in at 175. I did look at the FDN stuff on the f.net website but it seems to be cotton and non-stretch and I don't want something that heavy.

So does the jacket I want exist? or am I going to have to suck it up and either go with the cheap jacket again, or coerce someone into giving me lots of money and just spring for some way to expensive gear.

Thanks
    What's the "real" world again? I don't think I can see it from my window

Blog: http://evileprechaun5.livejournal.com

Raises hand

Raises hand...please see link below.

Rick
    Co-Owner Escrime International Limited
    President Escrime USA
    Escrime USA

Absolute Fencing sells a decent full-stretch 350 N uniform, and I've heard good things about EscrimeUSA's stretch uniforms too.

Blog Entries
    http://www.escrimeusa.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=243

That's the jacket I have. Fits well. Haven't had any problems with any of their stuff. It's fitted for us women. The only thing I had to do to the jacket was shorten the sleeves. Give it a try!
    "Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened." ~Cora Harvey Armstrong
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Shellhouse View Post
    Raises hand...please see link below.

Rick
    What is the uniform made out of? How breathable is it?

I have an absolute nylon now, but their 350 stuff is cotton and I've just found that too heavy under a saber lame the few times I've gone to my back-up jacket.

Our fabric is a dyneema based. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyneema . However ours is by no means anywhere near the thickness of the cotton uniforms out there. The performance line especially. It is designed to be lightweight..breathable...and stretchy..the performance pro is lined with a wicking material..

R
    Co-Owner Escrime International Limited
    President Escrime USA
    Escrime USA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seak View Post
    What is the uniform made out of? How breathable is it?

I have an absolute nylon now, but their 350 stuff is cotton and I've just found that too heavy under a saber lame the few times I've gone to my back-up jacket.
    The jacket I linked you to isn't very heavy. It's got the extra moisture wicking stuff to it, which makes it nice. It's not bad under my sabre lame, but I sweat a lot anyways even during practice. It does breathe, but not sure how comparable it is to other jackets as I've only had one other jacket recently, and that wasn't very breathable. Call up and talk to Rick. I'm sure he'd be more than willing to help you out!
    "Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened." ~Cora Harvey Armstrong
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Thanks! I appreciate the information and help everyone!

Blog Entries
    Personally I dislike wicking liners, and have cut the Transpor lining out of my LP jacket and pants.

The issue is that although an additional lining can indeed wick, it also greatly reduces airflow and circulation, so IMHO it makes one hotter and sweatier than without it.

For wicking, I wear a very lightweight merino wool t-shirt (not cotton) under the jacket and underarm protector - lots more comfortable than cotton, breathes much better than any extra layer of jacket lining, and doesn't retain odor.

Here's the men's version - Icebreaker makes very nice stuff, albeit it at a premium price.
    Last edited by EldRick; 05-06-2009 at 02:03 PM.
    Creator of the Sintered Tungsten Pommel - http://leonpaulusa.com/acatalog/Tung...ed_Pommel.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
    Personally I dislike wicking liners, and have cut the Transpor lining out of my LP jacket and pants.

The issue is that although an additional lining can indeed wick, it also greatly reduces airflow and circulation, so IMHO it makes one hotter and sweatier than without it.
    That echoes my experience. My lined Paul jacket feels much warmer that my unlined Allstar.
    Beauty is not the goal of competitive sports, but high-level sports are a prime venue for the expression of human beauty. The relation is roughly that of courage to war.

Triplette has a pretty nice stretch nylon jacket, but I'm not sure if it's 350N.
    It is real light and stretchy and at $65 is quite reasonable.

I will ending up sounding like I have shares in the company (which I do not).

FWF has an stretch 350n jacket. Their stuff we have is very good.

fnet shop for $116.

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seak View Post
    I've just found that too heavy under a saber lame the few times I've gone to my back-up jacket.
    "Too heavy"?

Are you sure you ain't one a them namby-pamby foilists rather than a sabre fencer?
    Use the Shift key, people! Keyboard manufacturers everywhere are ineffably saddened when you ignore what they made just for you!