Thread: Old Uhlmann/New Uhlmann/AF Viscontis

Old Uhlmann/New Uhlmann/AF Viscontis

A little while ago, I took noodle's advice on Visconti grips (he said that Uhlmanns are really good for epee flicks), and I traded somebody for a medium (I think new style) Uhlmann. I was really pleased with it, and so I bought some more Uhlmann and Allstar grips when they were listed in the TP.

When I got them, I was surprised to find out that these grips were different than my first Uhlmann, "fatter" if you will. I'm not sure, but from the low-res pictures on the internet, I believe that these are of the "old style." Am I correct in believing that Uhlmann has changed their grip style from fatter (older) to more "Belgian-esque" (newer)? Or do I have it backwards?

Also, I read in some thread that the AF Visconti handles are completely identical to the Uhlmann grips. Is this true? If so, which "style" of Uhlmann are they identical to?

And a final question (whew): I have fairly small hands, and wear a glove size somewhere between an 8.5 and 9. Should I be using a size small grip, or just cut down the front of a medium a bit?

I wear a size 10 glove and use a size small Uhlmann Visconti on my epees. I file off the forward projection on the bottom so it doesn't abrade my little finger.

I don't know whether I am using new or old style. They are all several years old.

I find the smaller grip is more comfortable than a medium and it gives me better control.
    Last edited by magic_moose; 03-24-2009 at 10:58 PM.
    Reality is the original Rorschach.

- Principia Discordia

\(_o)/

chinbeard:

If you have a several year old Uhlmann grip and want to replace it with the same, you have to get a "FWF" grip. FWF owned(s) the molds that were used to make the thinner grip in Pakistan. Now that FWF no longer sells this grip to Uhlmann, they have their own made using the same molds. The colors are diffrent, yet is the same grip. The grip is a smaller neck, with a more finer finish than most.

Gary Spruill

Quote Originally Posted by chinbeard View Post
    A little while ago, I took noodle's advice on Visconti grips (he said that Uhlmanns are really good for epee flicks), and I traded somebody for a medium (I think new style) Uhlmann. I was really pleased with it, and so I bought some more Uhlmann and Allstar grips when they were listed in the TP.

When I got them, I was surprised to find out that these grips were different than my first Uhlmann, "fatter" if you will. I'm not sure, but from the low-res pictures on the internet, I believe that these are of the "old style." Am I correct in believing that Uhlmann has changed their grip style from fatter (older) to more "Belgian-esque" (newer)? Or do I have it backwards?

Also, I read in some thread that the AF Visconti handles are completely identical to the Uhlmann grips. Is this true? If so, which "style" of Uhlmann are they identical to?

And a final question (whew): I have fairly small hands, and wear a glove size somewhere between an 8.5 and 9. Should I be using a size small grip, or just cut down the front of a medium a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by twisterfencing View Post
    chinbeard:

If you have a several year old Uhlmann grip and want to replace it with the same, you have to get a "FWF" grip. FWF owned(s) the molds that were used to make the thinner grip in Pakistan. Now that FWF no longer sells this grip to Uhlmann, they have their own made using the same molds. The colors are diffrent, yet is the same grip. The grip is a smaller neck, with a more finer finish than most.

Gary Spruill
    Actually, I'm not sure, but I suspect that it's the NEWER Uhlmann grip I prefer. But I don't even know which is which, since both specimens were acquired secondhand. Viewed from the top, the pommel extension of the grip I prefer is skinnier and is angled further away from the wrist than the one I don't prefer.

Here is a picture of the grips, viewed from the top. The left/blue one is what I am suspecting is the old style, but I'm not positive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ಠ_ಠ
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chinbeard View Post
    Here is a picture of the grips, viewed from the top. The left/blue one is what I am suspecting is the old style, but I'm not positive.
    i like the one on the right best. they do both say "uhlmann" right? i've bought "uhlmann" grips before that were really "uhlmann style" house brands.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    i like the one on the right best. they do both say "uhlmann" right? i've bought "uhlmann" grips before that were really "uhlmann style" house brands.
    Yes, they both say "Uhlmann." The one on the left is identical to one I got with it (it was a used lot purchase), that said "Allstar." Since I haven't seen any "Allstar" grips on the fencing sites lately, I am assuming that the one on the left is "old school." Am I correct?

I also prefer the one on the right. If I were to order a new "Uhlmann" grip from a vendor, is this the style I would get? Also, is it true that the Absolute Viscontis are identical to the "new" Uhlmann style?