View Poll Results: Which BF FIE Maraging Blade do you like best?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • BF White FIE

11 35.48%
  • BF Blue FIE

11 35.48%
  • BF Gold FIE

0 0%
  • BF Non-FIE

0 0%
  • Other FIE Blade (please specify in a reply if convenient)

11 35.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BF White, BF Blue, BF Gold - FIE Maraging Foil Blades

Unconfirmed

BF White, BF Blue, BF Gold - FIE Maraging Foil Blades

There's been a few other posts on this but im thinking there has to be more to it.

I'm pretty sure what the technical properties of each of these blades are, but feel free to add in what you know.

I'm just wondering if people can share some personal experiences with BF FIE blades and how each differs and reacts. (Characteristics such as: flexibility, weight, balance, and the 'life of the blade'.)

I've heard that each batch of BF blades are different so finding the 'perfect' one is considerably hard when it comes to a large batch. So if you have an advice on how to choose a blade, please share. I'm sure other people will also want to know about this. (Doesn't have to apply to only BF blades.)

Oh, and if you own or currently use a BF FIE foil blade, vote on the one you feel is the best fit for you.

If you have any other stories or info to share on any type of blades, please feel free to do so. Thankz.

- Joseph
    Last edited by Kryptos; 03-13-2009 at 04:42 AM.

I use BF blue because that is my favorite color and I don't like rust spots to show on my blade. The color is a color, nothing else. I am not sure why this comes up so often. Its like saying one car of given model is faster than another configured exactly the say way because one of them is painted red and everyone knows red makes you go faster. I have had whites that were wet noodles and blues and golds that you could use as rebar. It is just a color. Really.
    Just another lost soul saved by the (hit) First Church of EPEE!

Bona Na Croin. "Neither Collar nor Crown"

Agreed. Colour is to stop rust and to look good. Does not effect properties.

Unless BF carefully select blades with certain properties and then colour them accordingly... but that sounds unlikely.

Either way, properties of the blade are not affected by the colouring process.

Personally I use BF blue, cause it goes with my glove

Unconfirmed
    Quote Originally Posted by CvilleFencer View Post
    I use BF blue because that is my favorite color and I don't like rust spots to show on my blade. The color is a color, nothing else. I am not sure why this comes up so often. Its like saying one car of given model is faster than another configured exactly the say way because one of them is painted red and everyone knows red makes you go faster. I have had whites that were wet noodles and blues and golds that you could use as rebar. It is just a color. Really.
    Hey CvilleFencer, Im sure thats what some people say but thats what im trying to debate on. For example here's a quote that another member had posted (all credit goes to Larkmaj ) -->

"What are the differences among the colored Blaise Freres Maraging blades?"

"BF Blue blades are the most flexible, most resilient, and the lightest. They are also the most expensive. They, though, are much more likely to take a radical bend if it deals a hit that has enough force behind it, for whatever reason.

BF White blades are much more stiff and a little heavier. They are slightly more succeptible to the everyday bends, but when they take a big hit, they're much less likely to take a radical, deforming bend.

BF Gold blades are a happy average of the qualities of the above two.

The colors of the blades are a result of the gaseous environment they are tempered in. The colored coating is also helps to prevent oxidation of the underlying metal. Other information can be found in the Fencing.Net Equipment Review Section."

- end quote -

BF Blue blades are the most flexible, most resilient, and the lightest. They are also the most expensive. They, though, are much more likely to take a radical bend if it deals a hit that has enough force behind it, for whatever reason.

BF White blades are much more stiff and a little heavier. They are slightly more succeptible to the everyday bends, but when they take a big hit, they're much less likely to take a radical, deforming bend.
    And yet I remember for me the complete opposite was true when I used a BF White. It depends on the batch, NOT the color. Period.
    "Preparation is the soul of tactics. And tactics are the soul of fencing."-Aladar Kogler

Unconfirmed
    Quote Originally Posted by epeelion View Post
    And yet I remember for me the complete opposite was true when I used a BF White. It depends on the batch, NOT the color. Period.
    Okay so i almost got that down.. now how can you choose the 'best' (BF or not) blade out of a batch. That's been a problem for a long time and each blade is different so this matters a lot. Buying the wrong one can cause problems because it is significant that you have identical foils for a competition. I've seen people just bending them to see their quality, but how can you tell? Any tips?

- Joseph

I was under the impression that BF had two types of blade which they distinguished by colouring them (rather than one type they colour differently).

A google search on Blaise Frere brings up this interesting link (hope it works) courtesy of LP:
    http://www.leonpaul.com/actinic_pict...ght_tables.xls

this suggests that BF Blue (see row23) are 8 grammes lighter than other BF blades (see rows 34 and 36).
    So maybe they did some testing and there is a difference between BF blue and BF white.
    Note that applies to foils. The weight of the epee blades is the same.

I have noticed as well that some BF blades are square in section and some are rectangular - not sure if this is consistent with the colour.
    I caught this morning morning’s minion, king-
    dom of daylight’s dauphin, dapple-dawn-drawn Falcon, in his riding
    Of the rolling level underneath him steady air, and striding
    High there, how he rung upon the rein of a wimpling wing
    In his ecstasy! then off, off forth on swing,
    As a skate’s heel sweeps smooth on a bow-bend: the hurl and gliding
    Rebuffed the big wind. My heart in hiding
    Stirred for a bird,—the achieve of; the mastery of the thing!

Woah, who said we were talking about foils here? I though we were talking about "blades", not car antennas. Weight, feel etc can all be change according to batch. The foil blades have gone through some changes over the years, from a rectangular cross section to a more square one. As to how to find the "best" one, that is a matter of personal preference. The "best" blade to me could be a club or a pool que for you. Balance is a very personal thing and depends also on your grip and weapon cant as well as fencing style.

That's probably why BF has never bothered to tighten up on their tolerances. Right now you can find a BF from a large selection that suits pretty much anyone. What I wish they would do is the same thing that LP does with some of their premium blades, and that is etch the deflection into the tang so you can order an X blade. If having exactly the same deflection and feel is super important to you, make your own deflection gauge and take it with you when you buy gear.
    Just another lost soul saved by the (hit) First Church of EPEE!

Bona Na Croin. "Neither Collar nor Crown"

when I said "foils" I meant of course foil blades.
    I caught this morning morning’s minion, king-
    dom of daylight’s dauphin, dapple-dawn-drawn Falcon, in his riding
    Of the rolling level underneath him steady air, and striding
    High there, how he rung upon the rein of a wimpling wing
    In his ecstasy! then off, off forth on swing,
    As a skate’s heel sweeps smooth on a bow-bend: the hurl and gliding
    Rebuffed the big wind. My heart in hiding
    Stirred for a bird,—the achieve of; the mastery of the thing!

The colours are purely cosmetic both for foil and epee.

The weight difference shown in that table was probably because someone measured one square and another rectangular. I guess the rectangular ones are marginally lighter.

Alex

Unconfirmed

Refreshment

Sorry if i wasn't that clear, and it was only stated once or twice, but this is all applying to foil blades specifically. also, this doesn't HAVE to be on BF blades alone. people have been debating on BF blades the most i guess, but many other brands such as those STM color blades have had people thinking. Thx.

- Joseph

Wow, I have a totally diffrent perception (which could be wrong) in regards to BF blades. I have always been told that that the coloring identifies the diffrence in the stamping set up. Meaning, diffrent set up results diffrent types of blades.
    Blues are set up for extream point control - also called a medium flex
    Golds are simular yet a little more stiff
    Whites (silver) are set up to be very stiff, yet to last the longest. According to BF, the white is more used for/ as a training weapon - and if a new blade is used, for compitition. This is the most common blade that you will see at any/all international events.

See pricing set up from TCA:
    BF Mar. Whites bare: $94
    BF Mar. Blues and Golds: $101

Your not paying an additional $7.00 for coloring.

Now for STM, the statements "color means nothing" is very correct. Whatever coloring vat that is closest is what the blade gets dipped into at the factory.

I may be totally wrong, yet according to BF, they are constantly changing the set up on the computers that stamps/forges the blades to get the perfect blade. Depending on what batch you get, they will come out diffrently due to the set up.

Gary Spruill
    Last edited by twisterfencing; 03-14-2009 at 11:46 AM.

BF Blue

I prefer BF blue because it is blue and it seems to be a bit less stiff(more flexible) than the white blade, which is very stiff; like epee stiff almost.
    Last edited by Andrei; 03-14-2009 at 07:27 PM.

So, why wouldn't there be an additional charge for a chemical process that inhibits rust?

Unconfirmed
    Quote Originally Posted by cbeaz View Post
    So, why wouldn't there be an additional charge for a chemical process that inhibits rust?
    has been a question for quite a while. bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by cbeaz View Post
    Because it doesn't really work. Colored blades seem to rust just as fast.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and bearing a cross."

Unconfirmed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolano View Post
    Because it doesn't really work. Colored blades seem to rust just as fast.
    wait wait wait i thought they DID have additional charges for the color coating. sorry my bad, i read wrong :x

They usually do, depending. It's just an extra step in the process while they make it. It doesn't really have much in the way of function, though.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and bearing a cross."

Unconfirmed
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolano View Post
    They usually do, depending. It's just an extra step in the process while they make it. It doesn't really have much in the way of function, though.
    then that really suckz.. for the buyer at least... -.-"

Unless you like shiny colored stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast