Thread: how to pick the right foil?

Just Joined

how to pick the right foil?

hello everyone,

I am joining a fencing summer program where equipment is not included, which means I will need some foils. I have been fencing at highschool for 2 winter seasons now, and having my own equipment would not hurt. I have only broken one blade, and have a pretty good sense of distance.

I prefer stiff and straighter blades than whipy ones, but I also want something long lasting. I am going to buy 2 and don't know if I should get two of the same, or try out some options. My price range is 80 per foil, but I would be willing to pay more for a more durable blade. Should I get an (FIE) I don't fencing competitions, but I hear they last 5 times longer than the others.

Here are some blades I am considering

http://shop.fencing.net/StM_Standard.../fdn-44201.htm

http://shop.fencing.net/StM_Standard.../fdn-44101.htm

Thanks

If you spend the money to get a Vniti, you won't be disappointed. When I fenced foil about once a week (I'm an epeeist) I would break the non-FIE StM in about 6 weeks. I have yet to break a Vniti.

If you want a stiff blade, do not get the Paul Etoile.
    (\ /)
    ( ..)
    <-- Ole' Pinky Returns
    c(")(")

Vniti sounds like the way to go. More expensive that some, but they last forever. Be sure to order the M series blades if you like stiff, as the normal blades are rather flexible and become more so once they are broken in. We stopped buying anything other than Vniti for club blades a little over a year ago as we were going through StM blades very quickly. We have yet to have a Vniti snap. They are used by everyone from beginners to Div 1 fencers and just last forever. Some of my personal Vniti blades are into their 3rd year and still going strong.
    Just another lost soul saved by the (hit) First Church of EPEE!

Bona Na Croin. "Neither Collar nor Crown"

Just Joined
    Are there any non-fie Vinit blades, or are the soley fie?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by a.fencer View Post
    Are there any non-fie Vinit blades, or are the soley fie?
    The Vniti blades are only FIE. They come in the Standard and the Max varieties for stiffness. While we had a lot of people asking for the stiffer version, it's now balanced out as foil fencers have adapted their technique to either not bother with the flick or to be able to land it with a flexible blade.

In terms of performance, I like the Vniti, Golubitsky-Pro, and BF FIE foil blades.

Craig

I have tried the Vniti, stm, BF, and all the fie and non fie LP blades.
    In my mind, the best blade on the market is the BF fie- pref with all the other bits lightweight and made by LP (esp the tip). This may, however, double your budget.

Definitely buy an fie blade and if you really can't stretch to the BF, go for the indestructable, but less well balanced, Vniti.
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots"

I love Vnitys and haven't used anything else in at least 5 years maybe more. The only issue I have with them is that I noticed they are unpredictable in their stiffness the first 6 months I use them (I'm talking about the non-M ones. The M is too stiff for my liking). After they are broken in though they are very reliable and will last you for at least another 1-2 years of heavy use. Way more if you use them moderatly.

Blog Entries
    I love my Vnitis. Definitely worth the cost. And I will shamelessly plug the fencing.net store for service, reliability and whatever else you're looking for in fencing equipment.

I just switch from Vniti to the Golubitsky and the latter has a lighter feel IMO, without being too whippy. So far holding up well.

Just Joined
    Is there any diffrence other than flexibility with the Max vs the normal stiffness. Im considering the max but not if it is much heavier or less consistant/durable than the normal stiffness ones. I heard that the normal stiffness ones can get whipy after a whille, will the max stiffness not break in as much?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by a.fencer View Post
    Is there any diffrence other than flexibility with the Max vs the normal stiffness. Im considering the max but not if it is much heavier or less consistant/durable than the normal stiffness ones. I heard that the normal stiffness ones can get whipy after a whille, will the max stiffness not break in as much?
    The max are a little stiffer and stay a little stiffer. I haven't had enough reports back to tell you when/if they start to get really whippy.

Craig