Sandro Cuomo succeeds Carlo Carnevali as new epee CT

http://www.federscherma.it/news.asp?i=68099&s=7

Sandro Cuomo was officially appointed today as Italy's new epee (men's and women's) CT. He was born in Naples, October 21, 1962 and started his fencing career at the Circolo Nautico Posillipo with Maestro Armando Coiro. His first notable fencing result as a junior was the bronze medal at the Junior World Championships in Buenos Aires in 1981. As a senior, he earned the individual silver at the Mediterranean Games in Casablanca in 1983. The following year he participated in the Los Angeles Olympics earning the bronze in the team event with Stefano Bellone, Cosimo Ferro, Roberto Manzi, and Angelo Mazzoni. Exactly twelve years later he became Olympic champion (team) in Atlanta in 1996 with Angelo Mazzoni and Luigi Randazzo. He participated in four Olympics.

He earned 8 medals at World Championships: 3 gold in team (1989, 1990, and 1993), 2 silver (team in 1985 and individual in 1989), and 3 bronze (1986 and 1987 as team, 1985 as individual). He won two World Cups separated by ten years (1988 and 1998), and 4 national titles (1987, 1988, 1990, and 1997).

After retiring as a competitor he started a career as a manager. In 2000 he was elected member of the CONI (Italian National Olympic Committee) national committee until 2004. Member of the Executive Committee of the European Fencing Confederation (CEE) since November 2005, he is currently the president of the Competitions Commission of this international body. He was already epee CT from 2001 to 2003.

Cuomo also teaches motor sciences at the University of Cassino, and educational science at the S.O.B. Institute in Naples. Currently he is employed by the Naples Police Department, Personnel division.

This is what Cuomo said after he was appointed: "I am honored by the confidence and trust given to me by the EC and the entire world of our nation's fencing. I will try to pay back this trust with a lot of efforts and selfless dedication. I have a very exciting task just ahead. I will find again a staff with individuals I know well and with whom I want to discuss and debate to put together a working plan which can continue the excellent job done thus far for this weapon."

FIS President Giorgio Scarso underlines the reasons for this selection: "I am absolutely convinced that this decision by the EC will meet the need to establish a reference point for capitalizing on the positive aspects of the work done by Carlo Carnevali [who passed away suddenly on December 31, 2008]. Cuomo's experience will benefit the entire world of Italian fencing, from elite athletes to our youngest fencers as well as their coaches."

Congratulations!