Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question for the New BOD: Olympic Capitalization

Blog Entries

Question for the New BOD: Olympic Capitalization

Kalle et al:
    This is the most stunningly amazing Olympics that US Fencing has ever had. Blows Phelps out of the water.
    How can the USFA capitalize on this? What's the plan?

Please tell me you have a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Kalle et al:
    This is the most stunningly amazing Olympics that US Fencing has ever had. Blows Phelps out of the water.

No, they obviously don't have a plan. Nothing about the women's foil on the website as of right now - but the Anchorage press got the full story as of 6:30 this morning....

Please tell me you have a plan that doesn't involve a hotmail account, and a request for plans to be submitted for perusal.

That would be cool.
    Take your time. Read carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Epee View Post
    Please tell me you have a plan that doesn't involve a hotmail account, and a request for plans to be submitted for perusal.
    Don't worry -- it doesn't.

The new officers have a gmail account.

First, Kalle and the others are the USFA Officers, not the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors are a separate entity, although the Officers are also on the BoD (as per the Bylaws.) The complete BoD is 20+ people and will have their first meeting of the new season in September.

Second, the new Officers don't take office until the conclusion of the Olympics, which I believe is August 21st. The current administartion would be the people responsible for the plan (if any) to promote the medal accomplishments during the Olympics. That includes directing the Executive Director (who manages the National Office) to update the website since they are the ones who manage it.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dberke View Post

Second, the new Officers don't take office until the conclusion of the Olympics, which I believe is August 21st. The current administartion would be the people responsible for the plan (if any) to promote the medal accomplishments during the Olympics. That includes directing the Executive Director (who manages the National Office) to update the website since they are the ones who manage it.

Dan
    Uhhhh...if the current admin leaves after the Games....how can they implement anything based on our successes? They'll be out of office and authority....thus, the incoming admin is the one who will deal with it....so any question about a plan to capitalize by the incoming admin is correct?
    Need fencing equipment? See me at H.O.M. Fencing Supply

Going to your first tournament? Read "Choose yer weapon, Laddie (or: Dude, where's my foil?)"

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Fencer View Post
    Uhhhh...if the current admin leaves after the Games....how can they implement anything based on our successes? They'll be out of office and authority....thus, the incoming admin is the one who will deal with it....so any question about a plan to capitalize by the incoming admin is correct?
    It is perfectly valid to ask what the new adminsitration's plans are. However, they can't implement that plan until they take office, even if it's as simple as "update the website!".

Someone pointed out some months ago that it seems silly that the bylaws end the term of the administation at the end of the Olympics, since they would be best suited for making plans to capitalize on success. I tend to agree with that sentiment... perhaps the bylaws should be changed to allow for that.

Dan

Blog Entries
    Someone, somewhere has to have enough horse sense to do something and do it now. The MST just got silver, and fencing has topped gymnastics (are they done yet?) in the medal count.

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission.
    Last edited by Phincer; 08-17-2008 at 08:08 AM. Reason: grammar
    Phincer

Kalle et al:

Dude, it just happened. And the new Officers and BOD haven't even been constituted yet. If we'd been able to spend time in San Jose preparing for this instead of ... other distractions ... well, that is water under the bridge, but still, it took away energy and time. However, any plan that was to be put forth right now would be grossly incomplete.

But, yes, we do need a comprehensive, overall strategy that fits in with the rest of the reforms and renewals. Its being developed as we speak.
    That's it, I'm done with the discussion forums on F.net. It's had its uses, but the ideologues, ranters, and "experts" have drowned too many of the conversations. I'm changing my password to something random and never logging in again.

Quote Originally Posted by oso97 View Post
    If we'd been able to spend time in San Jose preparing for this instead of ... other distractions ... well, that is water under the bridge, but still, it took away energy and time.
    You are amazing.

And dare I ask what you mean by "we"...
    Take your time. Read carefully.

Blog Entries

capitalization of success

I agree the new officers should have some plan to do things on a national level to promote the success that we have had at the Olympics. Locally, each one of us should be doing something now, today, and over the next 90 days as most of the USA goes back to school. You don't have to wait to market and sell fencing and this success. If you do, you and your fencing group with miss out.
    "who do you think you are?"
    "Do you think by making someone a knight, you make them a better fighter?"
    "Yes"

Blog Entries
    Dan and Oso,
    If you guys are honestly suggesting that the incoming administration should wait till they take office before they start planning, then you're enabling the problem.

It doesn't matter if it just happened. Only retards plan after the fact. There was definitely an expectation of some medals. There should be a plan already. Couldn't meet in San Jose? Surely there is some sort of amazing technology in existence that can help people communicate over large distances.

But I have no interest in hearing the excuses of cheerleaders.

I'm happy to give (at least some) of the new administration the benefit of the doubt. There surely must already be a plan.

Brad?
    Last edited by Jason; 08-17-2008 at 10:03 AM.

gother than thou TooLoftheDeviL's Avatar
    I hope this plan includes updating the website SOMETIME soon with the w. sabre team, w. foil team, & m. sabre team result?

Honestly... facebook is a more reliable source for fencing news from the olympics right now. wtf

Dan and Oso,
    If you guys are honestly suggesting that the incoming administration should wait till they take office before they start planning, then you're enabling the problem.

It doesn't matter if it just happened. Only retards plan after the fact. There was definitely an expectation of some medals. There should be a plan already. Couldn't meet in San Jose? Surely there is some sort of amazing technology in existence that can help people communicate over large distances.

But I have no interest in hearing the excuses of cheerleaders.

I'm happy to give (at least some) of the new administration the benefit of the doubt. There surely must already be a plan.

Brad?
    They couldn't meet and plan because we the people had the audacity to demand that an election be held....

Dan and Oso,

Dan wasn't saying wait to make a plan. He was just saying don't blame the website updates on the new officers, since they can't do anything about that yet. It'd be like complaining to Obama that we're still stuck in Iraq after the election, but before the inauguration*.

-p

* Notice that I assumed Barack will win?

Maybe take it up with the USOC? They've got the purse strings and a vested interest in the success of the elite fencers.
    I know my share of history
    How hard it is to be free
    From wearing masks that turn to skin
    Hiding what you could have been

NJ Fencing Alliance is having a 10000fencers day on Sat, Sept 6th in the center of Memorial park in Maplewood, NJ. Demonstrations, information, raffles, past and present Olympians, politicians, bake sales and a goal of 200 people enrolling on the www.10000fencers.com web site.
    4hrs = 200 new people exposed to fencing. We have 2 corp sponsors, the cooperation of the town rec dept and the town government, the school board and the state champion hs fencing team. We intend to split all of the donations/proceeds between the HS parents Assoc. and a fund to aid US fencers win even more medals in London 2012. I'm going and I think its going to be a blast!

Saturday, September 6 9am-1pm Memorial Park Tennis courts, Maplewood, NJ. you're all invited.

Quote Originally Posted by 500gms View Post
    Demonstrations, information, raffles, past and present Olympians, politicians, bake sales.
    Did you say bake sales? Has anyone informed Seth Kelsey about this?
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WON'T YOU BUY MY TACTICAL WHEEL!!!????

The thing we need to be doing right now is taking care of our own. Use this time to help your club and division grow. Don't expect the USFA to do it for you. You shouldn't expect the government to feed you and give you a roof over your head. Expecting the USFA to do anything to help your club is a kin to that.

I think the NJ folks have the right idea. Spread the word about fencing get people interested. The new officers will do something once they take office. The question we should be asking is not what the USFA can do for you but what can you do for the USFA. Spread the word!
    I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.-Galileo Galilei

Blog Entries
    Actually, I'm curious about what the USFA can do for itself.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast