Thread: NBC Olympics: Zagunis on Korfanty

Blog Entries

NBC Olympics: Zagunis on Korfanty

Ed Korfanty coaches two of the top sabre fencers who will compete at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing: world #1 Becca Ward and defending Olympic champion Mariel Zagunis. Zagunis spoke with NBCOlympics.com about her relationship with Korfanty.

[Full Article]

Sounds like the interviewer has heard about the whining. Nicely handled by Mariel. Ed has been working with Mariel for some 13 years. Because they have worked so closely, and well, doesn't mean that Ed can't be as effective and helpful to other fencers.

Better to work on filling the glass more, not on whining it's not completely full.
    Whoopee! My avatar is back.

Blog Entries
    Let's be respectful here.
    Beer, it's whats for dinner! ~ a young snowboarding Canadian
    The meek don't want it! ~ sticker on a rock band's guitar

It it good to see that the moderator has finally taken the initiative as it relates to this issue. Ed Korfanty is a class act in American fencing, and the constant assaults on him by some on this forum were quite disturbing. Thanks Craig.

Blog Entries
    "moderator finally taking some action" - You mean reporting fencing news and articles, which I've been doing for, oh, 10 years plus now?

Or, do you mean cleaning up all of the ad hominems (some from you I might add) that have churned up on this forum lately?

I'm just about to get started on all of the personal attack **** going on.

As to this interview. Let's look at the NBC Olympics Story Line:
    • Defending Olympic Champion
    • Youngest world champion and multiple world title holder
    • Both from same club
    • Both with same coach
    • Individual "combat" sport

How would you write the script? Hell, the "team mate vs team mate" play could not be better written and here it is, all bundled nicely for NBC. If you look at the Fencing pieces that are available on Comcast inDemand, you'll see the beginnings of this story.

The loser here is Sada, the bronze medalist who gets zero mention because she's not part of the "old guard/new guard" storyline.

Craig

She'll just have to win Gold or something then...

Quote Originally Posted by fencerbill View Post
    Better to work on filling the glass more, not on whining it's not completely full.
    Heretic, Wingate and others:

I'm going to do my level best to Pollyanna it the rest of the way to Beijing.

See? That was a happy face, because life is great!

But in the meantime, please remember: I've been up close and personal to these events every day for the past few years. None of you have. As such, with all deference due, your ignorance of the things that have transpired borders on the apocryphal.

Now, let's all root for our fencers in Beijing!

I'm off to fill my coffee cup all the way to the brim, as a metaphor for how to live life now...
    "Sometimes we, as coaches, get into that dictator mode where you just tell and you don't listen and you don't try to understand them." Tom Izzo, Mich. St.
    "Fraud is the creation of trust. And then: its betrayal."
    William Black, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    The loser here is Sada, the bronze medalist who gets zero mention because she's not part of the "old guard/new guard" storyline.
    At the risk of someone thinking I'm making some sort of political statement, I'll just say that the girls in my club have decided to cheer for Sada . LOL
    That's it, I'm done with the discussion forums on F.net. It's had its uses, but the ideologues, ranters, and "experts" have drowned too many of the conversations. I'm changing my password to something random and never logging in again.

MdA
    I think it is a great article...compared to the one we had in SI recently. This is a human interest story that NBC can build on all the way to Beijing. When was the last time we had returning Olympic medalists in fencing. As someone told me recently, I am always an optimist...but I really believe all this will make for some of the best media coverage we ever had for fencing.
    Lets' just not blow the post Olympic public opinion surge....again. Keep that website up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MdA View Post
    Keep that website up!!!
    A facelift wouldn't hurt either...

Did someone plant these questions???

I don't know if it's because I've been reading about this issue on f.net and I'm more aware of the situation but I find it ironic that the questions were so specific to the relationships among the three. And, honestly, what can she say about her coach when asked on national network right before the Olympics??? Also, isn't her mother the manager for the women's saber team? Diplomacy would be the key here, I'd think.

Seems like a journalist worth his salt might do some research beforehand. It isn't inconceivable that they might have turned up the dirt here on f.net. I don't think it's a conspiracy.