Thread: Prep Exercises

Prep Exercises

What kind of exercises would be good prep work to begin getting into the sport?

To give some background, I am 5' 6" tall, and just a hair over 200lbs. Ya, I know I am overweight, it's why I want to get into the sport. I have had reconstructive surgery on my right ankle due to a car accident, so I know I'm going to need to focus on getting it limber and conditioned.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!!
    Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society.
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post

To give some background, I am 5' 6" tall, and just a hair over 200lbs. Ya, I know I am overweight, it's why I want to get into the sport. I have had reconstructive surgery on my right ankle due to a car accident, so I know I'm going to need to focus on getting it limber and conditioned.

I've enjoyed biking. I've gotten a bunch of leg strength, wind, and lost weight. It's easier on my knees than running. I don't know how it would affect your ankle.

(I've lost count of how many times I've "come back" to fencing after a hefty period away.)

Personally, jumping rope in the garage has been about the most practical conditioning exercise that I've found. Biking would probably be better, but I have two kids under 5 and need to stay close to the house.

Fencing footwork can be a good workout itself. See the training tips:

http://www.fencing.net/training-tips/footwork.html

that Craig has provided.

Good luck and have fun with it. Don't let a little extra weight keep you from starting your fencing lessons. If you wait until you're in top physical shape, you may be the best-conditioned lousy fencer in the sport.

1. I second the rope jumping and footwork, though I don't know how it would affect your weak ankle.

2. Since I got tendonitis in my weapon elbow I've been doing grip exercises, handlebar twists and tricep pulldowns for physical therapy; they would probably be good for conditioning, too.

3. Lunges are a must so that you don't pull your groin when you start training.

I've done all sorts of cross-training over the years, and I've found that running stairs has had the most direct relation to fencing for me.

Taking two stairs at a time gives you a stretch and builds strength that seems directly related to a lunge. You can start by walking stairs and work into running. It's aerobic, and strength building.
    - Wisdom is the knowledge of how much you don't know.

You will not lose weight by starting fencing. Maybe after a year of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post

Jump rope. Jump rope. Jump rope.
    We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Founding Father of the 516,649 Post Thread.
    http://www.fencing.net/forums/thread29458.html

These guys can shape you up fast.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Blog Entries
    Jumping rope is one of the best exercises, but if you have joint problems, and depending on your age, jumping rope doesn't work too well. I can't do it any more. I prefer a workout on a good elliptical trainer because I don't have the impact problems you get from jumping rope.
    “The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.”
    Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Peach View Post
    Jumping rope is one of the best exercises, but if you have joint problems, and depending on your age, jumping rope doesn't work too well. I can't do it any more. I prefer a workout on a good elliptical trainer because I don't have the impact problems you get from jumping rope.
    I agree with Peach. The elliptical will be good for your joints, and biking wouldn't add any stress either. If I were you, I'd do these daily for at least 30 minutes, and in combination with your footwork work, you will build up the muscle strength to protect your joints. Eventually, as your muscles get stronger, you could add jump roping, as it is an excellent workout -- they say that 5 minute of jump roping is equivalent to a 20 minute run. In addition, jumping rope will enhance your footwork -- look at boxers and how important jumping rope is to their regimine.

Oh, and stretching after fencing will be very important too.
    Last edited by nahouw; 06-07-2008 at 04:38 PM.