Thread: Philadelphia Gala

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Philadelphia Gala

I saw that two national champions entered the Philadelphia Gala event yesterday (Don Davis and Chamley-Watson). Does anyone know the results?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Don won the event. Stephen Alexis (don't remember where he fences) was second, Chamley-Watson third and Marcus Howard, FAP fourth.

I was only there for evening event - final four - so I don't know any of the other results. The final bouts were all very good.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I was there yesterday so I know everyone who was in the top 8 but I didn't stick around till the awards ceremony so I don't know the placement order. I (Eric Bowden of Clinton Fencing Club) made the 8, my student Brendan Cusack also made the 8, Lucile Jarry of Fencing Academy of Westchester was also in the 8 and Stephen Jan from FAW made the 8. Didn't seem like anyone at least in the 8 earned new ratings.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Alexis fences for Brooklyn, I believe Mike Dote is his coach. I'm a bit surprised Miles didn't win...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Miles fenced Don to make it to the gold medal bout, it was very close 15 to 13 - I think. Don has a good sense of time and uses his athletism well, it was effective. All the final bouts were close.

Lucille was 5th - I don't remember where the rest of you placed - sorry.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    1. Davis
    2. Alexis
    3. Chamley
    4. Howard
    5. Jarry
    6. Cusack
    7. Bowden
    8. Jan

Fantastic job by FAP. The finals were amazing - there must have been 200 people present.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ToucheVerte View Post
    Fantastic job by FAP. The finals were amazing - there must have been 200 people present.
    Thank you! And thanks to everyone who came and fenced or helped out or just watched! It was a fun night. We like seeing our kids all gussied up every once in a while. My favorite thing that we added this year was the ability to have instant replay, as needed, on the video that we projected on the wall (for anybody who missed out, you can see the set-up here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/12678031@N00/1690385972/. It was only used once, but it's good to have venues where people can practice using those appeals.

We have our ideas on what to change for next year, and are already working on planning it out. Hope to see all y'all foilists in 2008!

And, yes, we're working on getting the results up on Fred - they went home with the bout committee. Oops! They'll be up as soon as we can get in touch with her and remind her!
    Last edited by qatet; 10-22-2007 at 11:41 PM.
    Kate Thomas - Delaware Valley Fencers Club - www.dvfencers.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Also -

Lucile Jarry - 1st Female
    Miles Chamley-Watson - 1st Junior
    Brendan Cusack - 1st Cadet
    Jonathon Lee - 1st Youth

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToucheVerte View Post
    Totally agree. The setup for the finals was phenomenal! The quality of the fencers was awesome. The audience was enthusiastic and had great energy. The reffing was world-class. Excellent prizes. The even had video replay! By far the best tournament I ever attended. I have already marked my calendar for next year!

Thanks to everyone who made it happen.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Stephen is a Jr.... I wonder why he didn't win 1st jr...
    If a little dreaming is dangerous, the cure for it is not to dream less but to dream more, to dream all the time~Proust

~The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fencerontheline View Post
    Stephen is a Jr.... I wonder why he didn't win 1st jr...
    Ahhh... first Jr outside the top four.

He did a really fantastic job, btw. Congratulations for your hand in it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by qatet View Post
    I would have thought that third counted as part of the top four...

-B
    "Oh but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    They're doing Speshul Math.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Now... I'm... confused...

I wasn't paying any attention to anything that was announced that evening. (Or apparently anything that was written up on this board!) Perhaps Stephen got the top Jr. prize and it was reported incorrectly here? (I hope!) Perhaps we have deplorable math skillz (to go with my poor reading skillz) and gave it to Miles out of a muddled sense of age? I... don't... know! Perhaps we gave it to the first person out of the four? That might be what we did - I see to remember another year when a cadet was either the winner or one of the top four and we had a bit of a debate about whether or not they got _all_ the prizes - top senior, Jr, cadet, etc.

Which is perhaps a long way of saying Idunno!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

He did a really fantastic job, btw. Congratulations for your hand in it.
    Thanks.

To be perfectly honest, what made me the most happy was that he wasn't happy about his result.
    If a little dreaming is dangerous, the cure for it is not to dream less but to dream more, to dream all the time~Proust

~The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Of course it's likely to be moot, as it will be extraordinarily difficult to give ANY of them most of the prize money, while still following the organizers' statement of "* all prizes will be awarded in accordance with USFA and NCAA rules."

Note that for NCAA purposes gift certificates are equivalent to cash. As are promises of future payment (say, after graduation).

Don doesn't have to worry about this, but everyone else listed certainly does.

-B
    "Oh but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oiuyt View Post
    Of course it's likely to be moot, as it will be extraordinarily difficult to give ANY of them most of the prize money, while still following the organizers' statement of "* all prizes will be awarded in accordance with USFA and NCAA rules."

Note that for NCAA purposes gift certificates are equivalent to cash. As are promises of future payment (say, after graduation).

Don doesn't have to worry about this, but everyone else listed certainly does.

-B
    Well, the prizes for Jr and cadet are small plaques and hang-on-you-wall type weapons (and maybe other stuff? I think I saw swag from B4OB on the prize table?), so they could get those. It's just the top 4 and top woman who have cash prizes. That would be funny... offering cash prizes for top Jr, cadet and youth!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Well, the prizes for Jr and cadet are small plaques and hang-on-you-wall type weapons (and maybe other stuff? I think I saw swag from B4OB on the prize table?), so they could get those. It's just the top 4 and top woman who have cash prizes. That would be funny... offering cash prizes for top Jr, cadet and youth!
    Ah, got it. Hard to say from the FRED listings with specify the total prize pool ($1500) and a list of recipients, but not a breakdown (at least that I saw) saying how much is going to each.

Of course there's still the issue for 3/4 of the top 4 and the top woman.

-B

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Thank you! And thanks to everyone who came and fenced or helped out or just watched! It was a fun night. We like seeing our kids all gussied up every once in a while. My favorite thing that we added this year was the ability to have instant replay, as needed, on the video that we projected on the wall (for anybody who missed out, you can see the set-up here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/12678031@N00/1690385972/. It was only used once, but it's good to have venues where people can practice using those appeals.

We have our ideas on what to change for next year, and are already working on planning it out. Hope to see all y'all foilists in 2008!

And, yes, we're working on getting the results up on Fred - they went home with the bout committee. Oops! They'll be up as soon as we can get in touch with her and remind her!

Will there be a video of the final four released?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dadofbag View Post
    Will there be a video of the final four released?
    I'll try to remember to ask - we certainly have the video from this year and previous years. If I don't post anything back here, try emailing FAP at maestromasters@msn.com.