Thread: 07-08 USFA Rulebook - When?

07-08 USFA Rulebook - When?

OK, so the new FIE rule book has been out for a while now, any idea when the new USFA rule book might make an appearance?
    "Rub her feet!" - Lazarus Long, Time enough for Love, Robert A. Heinlein

"Never moon a werewolf."
    Mike Binder

Certainly probably not before the September Board Meeting.

(I try to cover all my bases)

Too bad. I have never understood why the rule book for the current "year" is not available prior to the start of the competitive schedule. Any idea why the board does not meet before then?

"Never moon a werewolf."
    Mike Binder

The rulebook is not an annually-released document. Revised editions are released whenever there are changes.

-B
    "Oh but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

errr... I knew that? *sigh* I guess that I REALLY meant was: When are the REVISIONS due out?

"Never moon a werewolf."
    Mike Binder

Quote Originally Posted by erik_blank View Post
    errr... I knew that? *sigh* I guess that I REALLY meant was: When are the REVISIONS due out?
    The revisions have not yet been presented to the Board, much less voted upon. The next Board meeting will take place in September.

The most recently-approved rulebook is the one in effect at any given time.

-B
    "Oh but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Are rules changes likely to be made urgent and if approved, adopted immediately, or follow the 2nd hearing process?

Quote Originally Posted by oiuyt View Post
    The revisions have not yet been presented to the Board, much less voted upon. The next Board meeting will take place in September.

The most recently-approved rulebook is the one in effect at any given time.
    -B
    Ok, I do understand this, but I guess that what i was trying to get at earlier was if the board does not meet until after the start of the new competitive year (based on when the USFA membership expires), then competitors may be working with two sets of rules in any single competitive year.

"Never moon a werewolf."
    Mike Binder

Quote Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
    Are rules changes likely to be made urgent and if approved, adopted immediately, or follow the 2nd hearing process?
    In the past they have been made urgent. Recently with immediate application, at other times with an "effective" date.

-B

Think of the poor tournament organizers who are running an event that weekend who suddenly have to alter the tournamnent mid event as the BoD makes a rule applicable "immediately".

Quote Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
    Think of the poor tournament organizers who are running an event that weekend who suddenly have to alter the tournamnent mid event as the BoD makes a rule applicable "immediately".
    Sort of my whole reason for bringing this up in the first place. Anyone know why the BOD does not meet earlier than September? Is it in the charter? Some sort of rule that says 'this is when we meet.' Or is it more convention that no one wants to change?

"Never moon a werewolf."
    Mike Binder

Quote Originally Posted by USFA By-Laws
    11.Section Annual Meeting. The Annual Meeting of the Board of Directors shall be convened, upon not less than 45 days' notice, during the month of September or October.

12.Section Special Meetings. Special Meetings of the Board of Directors shall be called by the President, on at least 30 days' written notice to each member of the Board of Directors. Special meetings shall be called not less than two (2) times in each calendar year. Meetings of the Board of Directors shall also be called by the President, upon written request of five (5) or more directors.
    b) Not less than 14 days prior to any meeting of the Board of Directors, there shall be mailed to each member an agenda of matters proposed to be considered at such meeting. Business not mentioned in the agenda may not be acted on at a Special Meeting, except that, if:
    (i) a supplement to the agenda is sent by facsimile transmission,
    overnight delivery service, or email to the members not less than 72 hours prior to the meeting; and
    (ii) two-thirds (2/3) of the members present and voting at the meeting
    vote to consider the matter.
    Note that last season there was only one special meeting called (there was an additional meeting called and cancelled before it took place).

The most recent meeting was at the beginning of July. Some of the changes could have been presented there, but were not.

-B