Thread: Seaweed Alert

Seaweed Alert

We just arrived at Miami Beach today only to find seaweed all along the beaches. I hope this clears up before Friday. Is this normal for the beaches around here?

That depends. Is it crawling towards you chanting "brains!"?

Is it seaweed or algae? I know we have problems with both in our lakes 'round these parts. It's gross.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
    That depends. Is it crawling towards you chanting "brains!"?
    Nope. Even scarier, "flaming bagels!".

HDG
    Quote Originally Posted by physicspackage View Post
    We just arrived at Miami Beach today only to find seaweed all along the beaches. I hope this clears up before Friday. Is this normal for the beaches around here?
    The weather (and hence the surf) has been a bit rough the last few weeks. The city will clean it up anon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HDG View Post
    The weather (and hence the surf) has been a bit rough the last few weeks. The city will clean it up anon.
    Too bad-one of my fondest childhood memories was taking a stick and looking through beds of seaweed to find "treasures"- old fishing lures, conch egg cases (with teeny tiny conchs still in them), "mermaid's" purses (ray egg cases), crabs, critters, etc. all on board for the ride.

Probably not as nice these days-with plastics and all that.

The seaweed may be gone next week. Just be glad its not jelly fish and man-o-wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Phincer View Post
    The seaweed may be gone next week. Just be glad its not jelly fish and man-o-wars.
    *shudder* THAT brings up highly unpleasant memories!
    That's it, I'm done with the discussion forums on F.net. It's had its uses, but the ideologues, ranters, and "experts" have drowned too many of the conversations. I'm changing my password to something random and never logging in again.

I imagine the Man-O-Wars are still there somewhere though; they certainly were when I was down a little bit ago. Anyone know how the beach is looking at Key Biscayne? I tend to think of it as a much nicer beach.
    I now dangle to the left....my tassle. Get your minds out of the gutter.
    "Martin was not an optimist; he was a prisoner of hope." Optimism is about assuming there's evidence that justifies your outlook while hope is about creating the evidence and procuring your own happiness or vision of the world. - Professor West

Hey Dawg, Man-O-War is a winter inconvenience. Westerly breeze brings them in. Summer, Sargasum Grass. Great for fishing. Troll a weed line with some ballyhoo and look for a school of dolphin. KIll, Kill (Curse of Lono)

Wade out into the surf with a cup/bucket and pick up some of the grass (pale yellow with small leafs and round balls attached) Shake it over the recepticle and find small shrimp, crabs and a host of other neat things.

Crandom Park is still out at Key Biscayne. Taken over each week end by various parties of non documented - well, let's not go there. Virginia Key, right before Key Biscayne still has Jimbo's. Always a treat for 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg2121 View Post
    I imagine the Man-O-Wars are still there somewhere though; they certainly were when I was down a little bit ago. Anyone know how the beach is looking at Key Biscayne? I tend to think of it as a much nicer beach.
    We are staying on Hallandale Beach (between Ft Lauderdale and Hollywood) and yes, seaweed is everywhere. It is still a nice beach and it is fun to poke the seaweed for shells.
    " ... or spend fifty years learning to begin to learn to beat your adversary at fencing. After that you can start on mathematics, until it is time to learn to plough. White, T.H. The Once and Future King (emphasis added)

We are on the beach now and the seaweed is greatly reduced. The surf is a little rough but OK. Still time to get some non seaweed beach time before the fencing starts.