Thread: Yet another "New Jacket" thread -- sweat heavily; seeking lighter material maybe?

Yet another "New Jacket" thread -- sweat heavily; seeking lighter material maybe?

I think it's time to retire my Allstar (Athens model?) after six years of reliable wear. I've been generally happy with its comfort and weight, but I sweat pretty freely and it doesn't take long for the damned thing to get soaked.

I'd actually be OK with replacing the Allstar with the same model, but before I do it might be nice to ask for your feedback on lighter and/or stretchy material options. I actually like a fitted design (no big tummy problems), and it's important that the product stand up to frequent cleaning in a standard washing machine.

Your suggestions, please?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    I'd actually be OK with replacing the Allstar with the same model...

...and it's important that the product stand up to frequent cleaning in a standard washing machine.

Your suggestions, please?
    Allstar 'Startex' or Uhlmann 'Olympia'.

Both are light, stretchy, fits well and stand up for being frequently washed. (Just remember: No fabric softener.)
    Fencing is my only PvP.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilverzmurfen View Post
    Allstar 'Startex' or Uhlmann 'Olympia'.

Both are light, stretchy, fits well and stand up for being frequently washed. (Just remember: No fabric softener.)
    I actually have to disagree on this one... I use an Uhlmann Olympia and while it's a high quality jacket, I find it to be on the heavy side, and for those of us who sweat heavily, it absorbs sweat like no tomorrow.

It is very tough, though, and stands up to washing machines extremely well.

I've heard good things about the the Leon Paul Sydney, though, as well as the Negrini FIE kit. I use a Negrini underarm and am extremely impressed with it.
    "If I were ever to challenge you to a duel, your best bet would be battle axes in a very dark basement." Misquoted from The Prisoner

"Technical excellence is the antecedant of tactical creativity." - Nat Goodhartz

But those things which belong neither to God nor to Caeser, feeleth free to writeth them off, for yea, they are deductable.

Look at the PBT "ultralight". If there's a light breeze, you can actully feel it through the fabric. It almost feels a little freaky coming from a heavier uniform, but perspiration evaporates very quickly. I've washed it at least 2 x per week for 2 years and it's holding up fine. It's not very stretchy, however.

I second both of the above. The Negrini and the PBT Ultralight are both excellent. The Negrini is a little heavier, but a little bit better quality (not much though). If you really want light, Cartel makes the lightest FIE equipment out there. I have one of their uniforms and it's about half the weight of my PBT Ultralight. That said, it's a bit less durable and I've had to have a little stitching done in the 3 years I've owned it.

I can't seem to find an PBT Ultralight online. Can you point me to a page?

My mistake, they call them "Superlights". I'm constantly getting my superlative prefixes mixed up.

http://www.fencepbt.com/pbthome3.nsf...n%20Superlight

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Epee View Post
    My mistake, they call them "Superlights". I'm constantly getting my superlative prefixes mixed up.
    "VeryVeryLight" was my next best guess.
    Thank you.

Leon Paul Sydney.
    Fairly light, and has a special sweat wicking lining.
    Makes you feel cold when you put it on
    "First, second, third, dead f***in' last." - Greg Glassman

Gav
    I've got a Sydney jacket and it's very good. Best I've owned.

The duellist jacket is also reputedly very light - though personally I think the material is a little thin. Some of my friends have said good things about it.