Thread: Scherma Sport Supplier

Scherma Sport Supplier

Does anyone know of any vendors in the US that carry the scherma sport tips? I've seen the daigrams and specs on them and would like to check them out... no screws and seemingly indestructable tips are definitely appealing

Just Joined
    flik.......You can check out www.estoc.com
    They have a stainless steel screwless epee tip that THEY claim to be the best. They are a French supplier and manufacter that will ship to the US.( I think )I have not ordered any thing from them befor but I did e_mail them once and they mailed me back a nice letter and included two nice leather bell pads for free ( a nice suprise to me ). I guess it's not the scherma brand you mentioned but it may be simular.

Maybe Dave Neveel ( or someone esle ) will post something about these tips if he has some knowledge about them. ( Thanks Dave for all your post on equipment so far. They have helped me alot.)

Well good luck flik....................D.

------------------
    Free speech has enlightened the world !
    Free speech has enlightened the world !

Armorer
    Negrini has a website (www.negrini.com) and sells the Scherma sport foil and epee tips. They have an online order system and I believe will ship to the U.S. (it'll cost you in terms of freight and duties, naturally). Prices are in Lira-- the screwless epee tip is 44,000 lira w/o VAT (I don't know if they charge VAT for international orders). That comes to $21 U.S. (what the heck do they do when pricing something like a house-- do they go to units of megalira and gigalira? )

-Dave Neevel
    "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."
    -Douglas Adams

Triplette offers something called a "Galaxy Tip". you might want to check it out. It is supposed to have the best features of the French and German tips. I haven't used them, i like my German tips. I just put a little extra tape around the screws to protect them
    Whatever doesn't kill you, is gonna leave a scar...

Blog Entries
    Re Galaxy, be careful trying to mix and match the screws with Allstar's, someone who did that once said they looked like they'd work when you did that, but they'd pop right out.

Mike

Armorer
    The Galaxy points are no more compatible with German points than standard French-pattern points. They're more-or-less a French point with a metal-over-plastic tip insulation instead of the plastic-only on Prieur tips; the screws thread directly into the collar rather than threading into the barrel and pressing against a lipped collar (as with German points). However, their compatibility with standard French points is also a bit iffy-- some of the dimensions are just slightly different from the Prieur (or HPC) pattern points, so mixing Prieur-style and Galaxy parts doesn't always work well (speaking from experience here).

-Dave Neevel
    -Douglas Adams

Dave,

Regarding the Galaxy tips. I recently asked Philip Jones of Triplette about them (prior to my "migration" from French to German tips) and he said that they don't carry them anymore because Galaxy is out of business.

Have you heard anything about this?

Paolo
    "He is a man of splendid abilities but utterly corrupt. He shines and stinks like rotten mackerel by moonlight." "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

Blog Entries
    I got an interesting reply when I was asking some of the suppliers about the SCHERMASPORT tips. Walter Triplette emailed me and told me they carried the tips a few years ago, but they didn't hold up under rough treatment and they won't go there again. No word on the ESTOC models yet. (I'm not sure if they revised the SCHERMASPORT tips since the time Triplette carried them or not either, might be something to look into)

Mike

Armorer
    Yeah, I'd heard it mentioned that Galaxy wasn't in business anymore.

-Dave
    -Douglas Adams

i just got the same reply from triplette. I've heard schermasports screwless tips were indestructible though. i'd still like to try them

Blog Entries
    A new wrinkle on it, I got an email from Physical chess. They said that the Italian tips (Schermasport) had been discontinued. However, they were going to offer the french made Estoc screwless tips at Physical chess starting this september.

I think I'll order some when they come out, should be interesting.

Mike

kro
    Mike, did PC mention how much the tips would cost? I was about to order 5, but if PC will have them next month I can save a bundle in shipping. Thanks for the info on the discontinued foil points. (I was going to order a few of them today)

kro

Blog Entries
    Nope, didn't say in the email.