Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post-Memphis Observations/Comments

Senior Member IHateMrPotatohead's Avatar
    I would like to reiterate the coldness factor. However, I would definitely rather be cold than hot, so I can't really complain too much.

One of the great things I noticed, was that there was a TON of space for bags and people around each pod. Compared to Miami last year, this venue was great!
    Quote Originally Posted by IHateMrPotatohead
    I can't think of anything to put down there!

eac
    Quote Originally Posted by Phincer
    1. Venue was very cold-which was great for the fencers most of the time, but bad for the fencers when there was more than an hour between pools and DEs.
    No comments about anything else, but as someone with a long break between pools and DEs (very bottom of the tableau with a bye and not blazingly fast set of refs/bouts), it was not difficult to just wear a coat and then fence with someone to warm up shortly before the DEs. I like cold venues.

4. Memphis BBQ not as good as Texas BBQ.
    Its too bad you didn't get out to eat....

The Rendezvous is good, not the best but good ...

Chiz

Since I'm far too lazy to actually start my own thread I'll try to have it here. Jason already hinted at some refereeing incompetence so everyone else weigh in. Who was good? Who was bad? Who was just clearly not having a good weekend? Name names, tell stories, the whole nine. Refs take your shots too. The fencers and coaches have no shortage of their own wtf moments. Let the fun begin.
    I now dangle to the left....my tassle. Get your minds out of the gutter.
    "Martin was not an optimist; he was a prisoner of hope." Optimism is about assuming there's evidence that justifies your outlook while hope is about creating the evidence and procuring your own happiness or vision of the world. - Professor West

As for the directors, I was not impressed. In one DE, I came forward attacking, my opponent clearly took my blade, two lights. Somehow, the touch was mine. So, I allowed my opponent to take my blade three more times in the bout, and each time, touch for me. I was also informed by this director that cuts in which someone cocks back and swings as hard as they can are "just how sabre is". Unfortunately I can't remember his name, but I believe one of our board members was observing him.
    Ich steige ab, Hab keine Zeit, Muss jetzt zu den anderen Pferden, Wollen auch geritten werden

C'est pas la chute, c'est l'atterrissage.

Quote Originally Posted by rcmatthews
    As for the directors, I was not impressed. In one DE, I came forward attacking, my opponent clearly took my blade, two lights. Somehow, the touch was mine. So, I allowed my opponent to take my blade three more times in the bout, and each time, touch for me. I was also informed by this director that cuts in which someone cocks back and swings as hard as they can are "just how sabre is". Unfortunately I can't remember his name, but I believe one of our board members was observing him.
    If he says that saber may include people hitting hard, well, that is part of the game. If he says that a person who pulls back still maintains right of way against an obvious attack into preparation, then he's way wrong.
    =)=///

Senior Member IHateMrPotatohead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg2121
    Since I'm far too lazy to actually start my own thread I'll try to have it here. Jason already hinted at some refereeing incompetence so everyone else weigh in. Who was good? Who was bad? Who was just clearly not having a good weekend? Name names, tell stories, the whole nine. Refs take your shots too. The fencers and coaches have no shortage of their own wtf moments. Let the fun begin.

I was a little freaked out when I asked my epee ref to test. He pointed to the floor and said, "go ahead, test." I said, "Umm. Sir? Aren't you supposed to do it?" At that point, he rolled his eyes, walked up, and pressed the tip of the blade down. Rolled his eyes again, and walked back to his spot.

Other than that, I thought most of the reffing was pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by IHateMrPotatohead
    I can't think of anything to put down there!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eac
    I like cold venues.
    He wasn't dissing the cold venues-more the wait time between pools and DEs and the sound issue. Also wanted to make sure all the new(er) fencing parents/supporters always remember to bring a jacket and comfy shoes.

SBS
    Just Joined
    My overall thought was that it was fairly well run but the line for equipment checks friday morning was unbelievably long, and I think the commentary of the finals bouts will take some getting used to. Other then that Memphis was a fairly nice city (I can't say whether Memphis BBQ is better then Texas BBQ or not but it was still pretty darn good).

My DH asked me to post this (before any of you get on him about not posting himself-he's on a business trip and can't get to a computer):

2. Thought the idea of announcing quarter, semi and final bouts on elevated strip was a great idea, but it had the following adverse effects:
    a) no one anywhere else in the venue could hear a thing while this was going on, so coaches and fencers could not hear each other on strip.
    b) The really bad part was that after a while everyone was tuning out the PA system and not hearing the strip change announcements.

But he suggests small portable speaker/s and a microphone that can only be heard in the general vicinity of the strip where announcing is going on. This is not expensive, and it is portable.
    </snip>
    The finals strip was not elevated, (at least is wasn't on Saturday.) It should have been, though.

I agree with the comments about commentary. Many people don't understand the ref's hand signals (particularly non-fencers,) and it's very difficult for anyone to hear the referee. Commentary is a very good idea, but it should only be audible to the spectators. We had a hard time hearing our own referee in our pool during the Cadet MS finals.

The venue was indeed cold. I noticed it, and several others commented on it. There was a lack of cheap food (one expensive concession stand and 4 empty Coke machines.) Overall, though, it was a pretty nice venue.
    Frank Pratt
    Rome Fencing Club; Rome, GA, USA

it was freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by edew
    If he says that saber may include people hitting hard, well, that is part of the game. If he says that a person who pulls back still maintains right of way against an obvious attack into preparation, then he's way wrong.
    NO hitting hard is not part of the game. It may happen occasionally, but it is certainly not part of the game.
    Ich steige ab, Hab keine Zeit, Muss jetzt zu den anderen Pferden, Wollen auch geritten werden

Blog Entries

Post-Memphis Observations/Comments

My DH asked me to post this (before any of you get on him about not posting himself-he's on a business trip and can't get to a computer):

He spent two days at the Memphis NAC and had the following observations/comments:

1. Venue was very cold-which was great for the fencers most of the time, but bad for the fencers when there was more than an hour between pools and DEs.

2. Thought the idea of announcing quarter, semi and final bouts on elevated strip was a great idea, but it had the following adverse effects:
    a) no one anywhere else in the venue could hear a thing while this was going on, so coaches and fencers could not hear each other on strip.
    b) The really bad part was that after a while everyone was tuning out the PA system and not hearing the strip change announcements.

He offers no solution about air conditioning-better too cold than too hot.

But he suggests small portable speaker/s and a microphone that can only be heard in the general vicinity of the strip where announcing is going on. This is not expensive, and it is portable.

3. Too bad about the fires in Memphis that shut down the trolley.

4. Memphis BBQ not as good as Texas BBQ.

Anyone else have any observations/comments?

Lots of space

Lots of space for people to move around; that was refreshing. Wish all venues could be laid out so well.

I have to agree - it was darn cold in there!

I didn't go to the concession stand until Monday, but how can Marriott justify selling hamburgers for $6 when they are just a small, dry patty and bun?!? At least when I pay $5 for my popcorn at the movies it's fresh, spilling over the edge of the bag, and dripping with butter...

The refereeing I experienced was pretty bad. I don't know their names, but I wouldn't say them if I did... though I'm committed to being able to one-light it most of the way next time and being several points ahead so when the ref lets all the time run down during a break (like going to write down a card, for example) it's my opponent's problem.

I have to say, however, that the walk into the venue was blissfully short, parking was available within a reasonable distance, and there was plenty of space and chairs. Nice job on that.

2.75 for a granola bar

Quote Originally Posted by teamusaepee
    and being several points ahead so when the ref lets all the time run down during a break (like going to write down a card, for example) it's my opponent's problem.
    A couple of solutions for when this happens and you AREN'T ahead:

* Point out the running clock to the referee
    * Hit the floor outside the strip -- the touch triggered will stop the clock

-B
    "Oh but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

The directing for my pool & DE bracket bit the big one. Out of the three directors I experienced in Div 2 W Sabre, one was decent (a female ref), one was incompetent and needs to read the rule book and one (*cough*JoelPipkin*cough*) was definitely biased in favor of certain fencers. The incompetent one did my pools and only ONCE gave a yellow card to a girl that crossed over in every single bout she had (except mine).

WTF?

He even awarded her a touch that clearly occurred after she had crossed over while chasing another fencer. Unfortunately, none of the fencers asked for a floor judge... I didn't let her leave the "box" so there wasn't any need in my bout. He needs to read the freaking rule book.

and speaking of rules... when fencer A attacks and scores a touch (one light) and fencer B drops their blade AT THE SAME TIME AS THE HIT... touch for fencer A - right? Not in Memphis. The biased ref says no touch, fencers back on guard. Also, in a previous bout (mine) fencer A attack falls short, fencer B (me) pauses so as to not get hit on the remise and then both fencers come together to hit, two lights, touch goes to fencer A. Again I ask WTF?

As for the other half of the brackets, apparently they had decent directors because no one I knew complained about it.

How the heck can we get such crap handed to us at a NAC but you can go to a regional event (Pacific Coast Section) and get Hristo, Tomek, Derek C, and even Robbie doing a kick-butt job.

Quote Originally Posted by demon_fencer
    The directing for my pool & DE bracket bit the big one. Out of the three directors I experienced in Div 2 W Sabre, one was decent (a female ref), one was incompetent and needs to read the rule book and one (*cough*JoelPipkin*cough*) was definitely biased in favor of certain fencers. The incompetent one did my pools and only ONCE gave a yellow card to a girl that crossed over in every single bout she had (except mine).

WTF?

He even awarded her a touch that clearly occurred after she had crossed over while chasing another fencer. Unfortunately, none of the fencers asked for a floor judge... I didn't let her leave the "box" so there wasn't any need in my bout. He needs to read the freaking rule book.
    Sorry to hear that you went through a lousy experience. Div II/III is largely a developmental event from refereeing perspective just as it is for fencing. So they use a fair number of yet-to-be-proven and/or have-yet-to-learn-how referees. It could've also been a case of fairly decent and proven Foil referees being used for earlier rounds of Sabre (to try it out) and being told beforehand, "BTW in Sabre we don't follow rules. So take care out there."

As for the region-vs-NAC comparison, you're in the luck as far as the phenomenal refereeing talents that are present and available in your area. For the rest of the country, more often than not, what you experienced at the NAC is still way over the quality they get where they come from.... Sometimes they just flat out don't have enough people locally/regionally who even know how to ref. And oftentimes in areas blessed with super-reffing talents, chances are many of them are just not available to ref non-NAC/non-World Cup events.
    Last edited by Mauler; 10-11-2006 at 02:00 PM.
    When you have three Romulan Warbirds blocking the escape route, Worf has an emotional breakdown about his childhood toy, Riker announces he's gay, Data's positronic brain gets a virus, and Geordi quits because he's had just one too many imminent warp core breach.... Just sit back, breathe, and follow these simple steps:

gother than thou TooLoftheDeviL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by demon_fencer
    and speaking of rules... when fencer A attacks and scores a touch (one light) and fencer B drops their blade AT THE SAME TIME AS THE HIT... touch for fencer A - right? Not in Memphis. The biased ref says no touch, fencers back on guard.
    ... what?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast