View Poll Results: Which site do you prefer for online tournament registration?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Active.com

0 0%
  • AskFRED.net

69 98.57%
  • No Preference

1 1.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online event registration...

Online event registration...

This poll is mostly geared toward New England Div. fencers, as NE has used both systems, but obviously all responses are welcome...

comments as to why are also welcome, of course.

-m
    Last edited by epeemike81; 09-27-2006 at 02:21 PM.

ಠ_ಠ
    Blog Entries
    i had no idea active.com existed

i'd have to say askfred for the features and being well established.

I like active.com for races but had no clue that they did fencing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle
    i had no idea active.com existed
    It's a non-fencing-specific event registration site.

since I posted the poll, I'm not going to comment beyond that. others can if they want.

-m
    Last edited by epeemike81; 09-27-2006 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wahrman
    I like active.com for races but had no clue that they did fencing as well.
    it's a simple generic event registration system. It allows online reg for any event you want of any type, but doesn't, thus, provide as many services specific to the event in question (in this case a fencing tournament).

-m

Blog Entries
    I avoid using it. At all costs.

I have no planning-ahead-skills at all, and I will fill out the PdT registration form the minute it comes out and mail it in, because I do not want to have to use active.com.

Not only do you get charged a surcharge, but if something weird happens, you're kind of screwed. I think I remember something about someone registering for a team event AFTER they registered for individuals (still well before the deadline) and they were double charged for something?

It makes even less sense considering that the division now uses Fred for all other tournaments.

Furthermore, if we're using Fred for the boring local weak tournaments, and people get used to looking there for them, why on earth will they go to the division page to find out about Pomme? It's incredibly counter intuitive.

And stupid.

......... So, anyone have any strong feelings on the subject?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by epeemike81
    it's a simple generic event registration system. It allows online reg for any event you want of any type, but doesn't, thus, provide as many services specific to the event in question (in this case a fencing tournament).

-m
    Mike doesn't have to answer this, but: If a well known, specific service, fencing oriented site exists (As it does) what reason would anyone have to use something else?

Because fencing is such a specialized equipment heavy sport you would not even get the benefit of random tricle over participation - ex: if I was an athlete looking to run in a road race but came upon an open registration 3 on 3 basketball tournament I might sign up. I cannot imagine that happening with a fencing competition.

I'm curious if there are advantages that anyone sees to active.com (there may be - I'm honestly curious).
    "I cannot ensure success, I can only endeavor to deserve it" - Capt. John Paul Jones

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninX
    Mike doesn't have to answer this, but: If a well known, specific service, fencing oriented site exists (As it does) what reason would anyone have to use something else?

Because fencing is such a specialized equipment heavy sport you would not even get the benefit of random tricle over participation - ex: if I was an athlete looking to run in a road race but came upon an open registration 3 on 3 basketball tournament I might sign up. I cannot imagine that happening with a fencing competition.

I'm curious if there are advantages that anyone sees to active.com (there may be - I'm honestly curious).
    My understanding is that the division offered the option to pre-pay and reg on Active before there was such an option on Fred, and then never switched. I might be wrong.

Blog Entries
    So the pre-pay was an advantage (and a substantial one) that has now been matched by Peet, right?
    "I cannot ensure success, I can only endeavor to deserve it" - Capt. John Paul Jones

Blog Entries
    As an out-of-towner, but one who's starting to drive longer distances, I'd love it if you guys were on Fred, since it makes it easier for me to look everything up at once, rather than hunting down a dozen different sites.

Now if only Philly used it to snare ourselves out-of-towners.

ಠ_ಠ
    Blog Entries
    i personally only use fred. if you want me to go to your tournament, if its not on fred, i won't be going. i don't bother looking for tournaments anywhere else.

its just too convenient there (the only thing i'd do to improve it would be to stretch the upcoming events table out a little longer).

I would answer it if I could, but I don't understand it anymore than you...

I certainly DON'T see a reason.

-m

Blog Entries
    I've had to use Active.com twice in the last couple of weeks (one was for a road race), and I really dislike it. FRED is much better.
    “The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.”
    Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by qatet
    As an out-of-towner, but one who's starting to drive longer distances, I'd love it if you guys were on Fred, since it makes it easier for me to look everything up at once, rather than hunting down a dozen different sites.

Now if only Philly used it to snare ourselves out-of-towners.
    The good news is, thanks to DJ Apostrophe, we ARE on Fred.

-m

So the pre-pay was an advantage (and a substantial one) that has now been matched by Peet, right?
    imo, more than matched. Peet's fees are lower.

I don't know one way or the other whether MP is right that we were using active before Peet added the feature.

-m

I've had occasion to observe the use of Active.com and I really disliked it. Difficult to use, and very sneaky about hiding their fees, as well as being sneaky about tricking you into signing up for membership things that you don't really want, but think you have to sign up for in order to enter your event... AskFred is way better and I have been very happy with how it works.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by epeemike81
    The good news is, thanks to DJ Apostrophe, we ARE on Fred.

-m
    But we're not for Pomme de Terre. All the other events we might do through Fred (qualifiers? maybe?) are strictly for people in the division, so it's not as big a problem.... it is an issue for Pomme though...

Quote Originally Posted by MyrddinsPrecint
    But we're not for Pomme de Terre. All the other events we might do through Fred (qualifiers? maybe?) are strictly for people in the division, so it's not as big a problem.... it is an issue for Pomme though...
    hey, you'll get no argument from me!

-m

There's a surcharge for Active, so unless it's required, why would anyone use it? Askfred is much easier to use, and easy to edit if your plans change.

Erg. Not only is there a surcharge for active, but I still get spamed about "memberships" and crap. Annoyance all around.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast