Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina Fencing Clubs

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

North Carolina Fencing Clubs

I first want to apologize if this has already been mentioned in a different thread. I will be a freshman at college this upcoming year and was looking for a local club to occasionally fence at and possibly direct some tournaments. Please mention any clubs with a strong base in foil, since that is my "weapon of choice." Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Senior Member IHateMrPotatohead's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Well, North Carolina is a really big state.

If you are going to UNCC, I would suggest Touche or KOS. If you are going to Chapel Hill, I would suggest RFC. If you are going to Appalachian State, I would suggest the club on campus. It just depends. Could you give us some more information?
    Quote Originally Posted by IHateMrPotatohead
    I can't think of anything to put down there!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    IHMPH is right, we need to know what area in NC.
    Whatever doesn't kill you, is gonna leave a scar...

gother than thou TooLoftheDeviL's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    If you are going to Chapel Hill, I would suggest RFC.
    If he was going to chapel hill, why wouldn't you suggest the club that's there?
    Last edited by TooLoftheDeviL; 08-17-2006 at 02:39 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TooLoftheDeviL

I would. If he was going to school there, but he doesn't say where. Coach Miller is great
    Whatever doesn't kill you, is gonna leave a scar...

Senior Member IHateMrPotatohead's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Sorry...typo. My brain wasn't working. Yes. If he's going to Chapel Hill, there is NCFDP, or Chapel Hill Fencer's Club.
    Quote Originally Posted by IHateMrPotatohead
    I can't think of anything to put down there!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Contact John Myers with Triplette Competition Arms. He is a fencer and would have knowledge of clubs and higher education learning facilities that support sport fencing. And give John my regards!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TooLoftheDeviL
    1) I believe that the original poster is going to Duke and is on their NCAA team. I'm not sure how much time he'll have to do anything non-NCAA between classes and his team. I know that we don't see many of Alex's students at open events in the region.

2) Even if the original poster were at UNC, he might be interested in driving to Raleigh from time to time. Unless it's changed much, NCFDP (the non-NCAA club on the UNC campus) has some very good foilists, but it just doesn't have the numbers of foilists that RFC has. Last year, it looked like most of the open bouting at NCFDP was epee. For strong and varied Div II and III foil in the area, it's hard to beat RFC. On a decent night, we have 6 Cs, a few Ds, and another dozen or more Us and Es.

3) Raleigh Fencers Club has a Sunday practice, which might be convenient for college students who just want to get in a bit more practice even if they're on the other side of the "Triangle." There may also be some open bouting on Friday nights, but I'm not sure whether that'll be happening this fall or not.

Of course, I'm clearly biased since I fence at RFC.

mytouch2003, if you're interested in hearing more about RFC, send me a PM or an e-mail, and I can give you whatever details you need.

If you're a rated foil referee, there may be several clubs within an hour drive or so who may be interested in hiring you this year. (RFC, NCFDP, and the Greensboro clubs all hold tournaments, and we'll probably see more dedicated/paid referees this season.)
    Last edited by tbryan; 08-17-2006 at 03:27 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I can't really say as I've seen John around much, though he may very well still know where the good fencing spots are. Pretty much the question has been answered though. You can ref more or less anywhere especially if you have a rating b.c. there aren't many rated refs around. If you want to fence foil Touche is probably the club with the club with the highest volume of decent foil fencers followed by KOS (both in Charlotte). After that Chapel Hill has the strongest training environment but few dedicated foilists; you can however find some very strong not so dedicated foilists and a few premature retirees that still practice. RFC is also a nice place, good people, nice facility, but maybe two or three strong bouts. If you're near Fayetteville try All American it's a good spot. Appalachian is pretty laid back, but if you're up that way it's a place to fence and damn can those kids drink. Only other option is actually fence varsity for Duke (or UNC, but you can fence at Chapel Hill w/o being on the team)
    I now dangle to the left....my tassle. Get your minds out of the gutter.
    "Martin was not an optimist; he was a prisoner of hope." Optimism is about assuming there's evidence that justifies your outlook while hope is about creating the evidence and procuring your own happiness or vision of the world. - Professor West

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg2121
    Appalachian is pretty laid back...damn can those kids drink.
    What a stellar endorsement. I'm completely serious here, that is one hell of an endorsement.
    Hello.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Thanks to everyone for such a quick response. I will be attending Duke next year and be fencing as a member of the team. Due to such a busy academic/athletic schedule, I am unable to participate in the work study program. That being said, I was looking for another way to possibly earn some money to help pay off tution fees. The first thought coming to mind was to direct at local tournaments or high school competitions. So would I just contact some clubs when I arrive on campus??? Thanks again.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Well, the pay rate for officials down here varies from the hearty pat on the back to maybe $60-80 a day (though I tend to top out at $40/day, I suppose some events may pay better). You can be fairly busy with local events, as there have been (traditionally) a fairly large number, but that may change this year (at least in terms of sanctioned events). The scheduling meeting for the division is next Saturday (the 26th of August), and then you can probably get a better idea of events. Note that some events held in the state will likely be unsanctioned events (added afterwards), and therefore might not show up on the schedule. I still expect that at least some of these events would be happy to pay refs.

The closest club to Duke campus that holds events is NCFDP (the club at Carolina). Stop by and stay hi, I'm there every Tuesday and Thursday (though I am considering making the trek out to Raleigh on occasion, just for giggles and such).
    ^^

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jeebus
    What a stellar endorsement. I'm completely serious here, that is one hell of an endorsement.
    There are a few posters on here I would consider more authoritative on this topic, but not too many.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KD5MDK
    There are a few posters on here I would consider more authoritative on this topic, but not too many.
    I'm highly entertained that people seem to (rightly) consider me a good authority on this matter but most likely for all the wrong reasons.
    "Martin was not an optimist; he was a prisoner of hope." Optimism is about assuming there's evidence that justifies your outlook while hope is about creating the evidence and procuring your own happiness or vision of the world. - Professor West

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I'm judging you by the company you keep; counter-riposte and Mauler.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Are they throwing a party anytime soon?
    When you have three Romulan Warbirds blocking the escape route, Worf has an emotional breakdown about his childhood toy, Riker announces he's gay, Data's positronic brain gets a virus, and Geordi quits because he's had just one too many imminent warp core breach.... Just sit back, breathe, and follow these simple steps:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Umm the answer to that is more or less any time as far as I know. I could get more details but really it's the type of place where drinking and partying is often the primary activity more so than anything else.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Duke fencing

If you are going to Duke talk to Mt. Begiunet (hope I didn't misspell his name) the head coach. I am pretty sure he or one of his assistant coach's have clubs that are public.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Don't you run a club out there too, John?
    "If I were ever to challenge you to a duel, your best bet would be battle axes in a very dark basement." Misquoted from The Prisoner

"Technical excellence is the antecedant of tactical creativity." - Nat Goodhartz

But those things which belong neither to God nor to Caeser, feeleth free to writeth them off, for yea, they are deductable.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Alex has a club that is open to Duke faculty, staff, students, and family of faculty/staff. I think there may be a youth saber program going on there, too (there was recently). I'm pretty sure that's it.
    ^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast