Thread: Epeeists, what size grip?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Epeeists, what size grip?

I think the grip I'm using may be too big. But the size down one feels really tiny. I'm currently using an Uhlmann Visconti size Large. I wear a size 9 glove.

What size do you use and how big is your hand?
    Just because it's funny:
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Slo-mo
    If you don't want to lose fencing privileges at USFA-sanctioned events, then refrain from throwing flamagels at those events.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Currently I use a large Uhlmann visconti grip, but am trying out a medium, and might switch. I wear size 12 gloves.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    As odd as it sounds, I like to find one that is comfy and then go a size down. You don't really want to have your hand all the way around a grip. You want to be holding it with the tips of the fingers instead of nestled in the palm of your hand. When you are holding your grip, you should be able to slip the finger of your off hand in between the pal and the grip of your weapon. Promotes finger control, keeps you from having a death grip and will give you smaller, more controlled actions. It just is not very comfortable...
    Just another lost soul saved by the (hit) First Church of EPEE!

Bona Na Croin. "Neither Collar nor Crown"

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    yeah i think civille has it right, because thats exactly what my coach made me do when i picked up my second weapon (i too use the ulhman visconti large/medium) and i have to admit the control seems better with the medium. also i dont know what size glove i use but my hands are meat hooks so...

p.s. the medium is deffinately harder on the muscles in my hand but i still like it more
    i hit them because i love them

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I have a size 9.5 glove, and I use a medium visconti grip. I also use a Zivcovick B, modified Russian(ewww), and a large visconti. BY FAR my favorite is the medium absolute visconti beause it gives me much better control. The Ziv B grip is a close second.
    A vulture boards an airplane, carrying two dead raccoons. The stewardess looks at him and says, "I'm sorry, sir, only one carrion allowed per passenger."

HDG
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by epeeisky
    modified Russian(ewww)
    Modified in what way(s)?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HDG
    Modified in what way(s)?
    Well after awhile I grew to really hate the TCA Russian I have(at first I loved it). I shortend the grip by about 1 inch. I then rounded out alot of the sharp(90 edges) on the grip so that it fit in my hand smoothly, and then added some hatching for a better grip. It makes me tolerate the grip enough that I don't change it, but would never buy one or reccomend one again.
    A vulture boards an airplane, carrying two dead raccoons. The stewardess looks at him and says, "I'm sorry, sir, only one carrion allowed per passenger."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    from what you've all been saying, I think I'll give a Medium a try. Thanks a lot. I'll let you know how it works out after it comes in and I have some time with it.
    Just because it's funny:
    If you don't want to lose fencing privileges at USFA-sanctioned events, then refrain from throwing flamagels at those events.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    For the record, I wear a size 9.5 glove and use small visconti grips. My coach wears about a size 11 glove (cause his hands are giantly wide, but not very long), and uses a small visconti as well.
    ^^

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I've tried a small and that definitely isn't gonna work. I've got too much finger to wrap around it.
    Just because it's funny:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    If you have long fingers, you can get the Uhlmann visconti in a long version. I used to use a medium/long visconti. The fencing post had some a year ago even though they aren't on the web page. I don't know if they have any now (I've switched to the Schermasport visconti).

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by little_old_me
    I've tried a small and that definitely isn't gonna work. I've got too much finger to wrap around it.
    Ah, the difference... I don't wrap my fingers around the grip at all Just fingertips on grip, the rest of the fingers around the grip, in an 'open' grip.
    ^^

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by keropie
    Ah, the difference... I don't wrap my fingers around the grip at all Just fingertips on grip, the rest of the fingers around the grip, in an 'open' grip.
    This is as it should be. You will have a much easier time getting the super tight actions and very fine point control used by high level fencers using this method.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

alternative to visconti

I would suggest trying belgian grips as well, I find the visconti tend to bunch up my hand something fierce. just my $.02 but what Cville says also applies with this grip fingers not palm etc etc.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    I use either LP or Shermasport Belgians. The finger prong can give you a bit more leverage in certain situations and you can get a bit more snap into your flicks without using as much vertical/snap movement just by slightly raising the wrist and the "pulling" with the middle finger. It is a bit hard to describe without actually seeing it. There is a reason thought that the visconti and the Belgian are the two most popular grips. They both have advantages/tradeoffs but for the vast majority of fencers one or the other works out to be the best balance of pro's and con's. If you are going for a tight and controled game I would stay away from the more fringe grips such as the Russian and so forth.

ಠ_ಠ
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    i use a medium

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I wear a sixe 7.5 glove and use a Russian grip. But I also use visconti small grips.
    I want to be remembered when I'm dead. I want books written about me. I want songs sung about me. And then, hundreds of years from now, I want episodes of my life to be played out weekly at half past nine by some great heroic actor of the age.
    ~Blackadder

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Thanks everybody. Yeah, I know about the "hold it with your fingers, not your palm" thing. I recently discovered that I was holding my weapon incorrectly. When I changed my hand position, I started to notice that the Large grip may be too big. That's why I am considering switching down to a Medium.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks for the advice.
    Just because it's funny:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I use a medium visconti, but am considering going down to a small.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moment, lost in time. Gone, like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die" -Phil Ken Sebben