Thread: crossword puzzles and fencing

crossword puzzles and fencing

Having just watched the movie Wordplay my best friend (who is also a fencer) and I had the same thought. The people who seriously do crossword puzzles are a lot like fencers

And as they were interviewing the people who attended tha nnual crossword tournament and the atmosphere around it it seemed a lot like a summer nationals type thing, except people were competing over crossword puzzle's instead of fencing.

Any other people think this? or are my friend and I completely off of our rockers (def possible )
    What's the "real" world again? I don't think I can see it from my window

Blog: http://evileprechaun5.livejournal.com

I was doing a crossword the other day. The clue was "Fencer's foil", four letters. The answer? "epee". Wrong, I tell you! A foil is not an epee!

Quote Originally Posted by Go? Fencing?
    I was doing a crossword the other day. The clue was "Fencer's foil", four letters. The answer? "epee". Wrong, I tell you! A foil is not an epee!
    The clue should have been "Not as good a weapon as foil".
    A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by akaiyuki
    The clue should have been "Not as good a weapon as foil".
    Or rather "The foil improved".
    Fencing is my only PvP.

Cryptics only

I know of several top ranked fencers (nationally and internationally) who are all very competent cryptic crossword solvers as well as brilliant high speed sudoku solvers. The two go hand in hand. Some play a mean game of chess as well.

Plain old crosswords are pretty boring.

Simaraon
    "Wherever you go, there you are (and so am I)" - Balaestra's Daemon.

"This divine beauty is evident, fugitive, impalpable, and homeless in a world of material fact; yet it is unmistakably individual and sufficient unto itself, and although perhaps soon eclipsed, is never really extinguished: for it visits Time and belongs to Eternity." - George Santayana

Quote Originally Posted by seak
    Having just watched the movie Wordplay ...
    Gotta see that movie!

... my best friend (who is also a fencer) and I had the same thought. The people who seriously do crossword puzzles are a lot like fencers

And as they were interviewing the people who attended tha nnual crossword tournament and the atmosphere around it it seemed a lot like a summer nationals type thing, except people were competing over crossword puzzle's instead of fencing.

Any other people think this? or are my friend and I completely off of our rockers (def possible )
    I don't know, but when my friends and I travel to competitions together, we always pass the time on the plane by doing crossword puzzles. Is there a natural affinity between fencers and puzzlers? And do different types of puzzles appeal to proponents of different weapons? Someone should do a study ... or a poll.

Blog Entries
    I liked "Wordplay" too, though it reminded me of the general amiability and intense competitiveness of almost every enthusiast's convention I've ever witnessed--including Star Trek conventions.
    “The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.”
    Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures

I would consider joining SCA--even briefly--if they allowed bat'leth.

Then we'll see which has more intense competitiveness.

/trekkie
    "...But that doesn't mean that sabreurs aren't fun. They are, and tend to be better kissers as well which is more than reason enough to take my coach's advice and hang out with the sabreurs my age." - WP (best coach advice ever)

Quote Originally Posted by Simaraon
    I know of several top ranked fencers (nationally and internationally) who are all very competent cryptic crossword solvers as well as brilliant high speed sudoku solvers. The two go hand in hand. Some play a mean game of chess as well.
    I got hooked on sudoku after solving one on the newspaper one day (fairly recent). I love minesweeper too - does that count?
    A bunch of fencers that I know can solve the rubik's cube
    A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.

I've been doing crosswords since I was 10 (more than 30 years before I started fencing), and I'm at the point where I order the "Expert and Challenger" crossword books from Dell because they're the only ones that really challenge me any more.

Perhaps if I fence for 40 years I'll get that good at foil? (At least in the Veterans 80-90 category!)

Most crossword clues dealing with fencing are iffy in terms of accuracy. The word "epee" gets used a lot in crosswords because of all those "e"'s--very handy for people constructing puzzles in English.
    "Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never . . . never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense." Churchill, 1941

Blog Entries
    I do (complete without cheating) the NYT Friday and Sunday crosswords every week.

And if I kill them too quickly, I download the Washington Post and LA Times Sunday crosswords...
    Why sabre? Because you don't take heads with the point.

I like Japanese Crosswords (a.k.a. paint by numbers) like these
    You are only punished by those gods you believe in.

I do almost all the NYT crosswords, although Fri's and Sat's are usually pretty hard (and I don't always have enough time to try them). Sunday's are usually fun. Soduko are are ok, but I don't get as much of an enjoyment at the end.
    =)=///