Thread: replacing a bad reel wire

Just Joined

replacing a bad reel wire

I'm fixing some reels for my fencing club. I need to replace the wire in one. I tried a few types of wire I found at Fry's, but none of them retract well, because of their shape or stiffness.
    Does anyone here have a recommendation for a replacement wire, and a suggestion on where to buy it? I've looked all over for a flexible wire with a circular cross section, with no luck.
    Thanks.

What brand of reel is it?

Just Joined
    I think it's a France-Lames. It's pretty old.

Is it turtle type coming out of the top it hard to find wire to work in the because of the way the feed out of the top
    Tim Loomis
    Ye Olde Armourer MASTER ARMOURER
    DO YOU TRUST YOUR ARMOURER
    GOD Loves His Warriors
    www.yeoldearmourer.com

HDG
    Is the cable interchangeable b/w brands? If so, buy real reel cable from a fencing vendor; it will probably be more expensive ($57 / 20m at LPUSA), but it will at least be a known quantity.

If it says France Lames it is probably a russian style "landmine" reel. I absolutely hate working on these things. A landmine reel has a small mast coming out of the center of a circular reel. The mast rotates 360 degrees. None of the landmines I have scene will work with PVC or plastic coated wire which means you absolutely have to used the old, crappy, prone to breakage and ohm resistance buildup clothe covered wire. TCA sells a version of thie wire for their overhead reels but I would recommend getting actual Prieur wire as it has been more durable in my experiance. Much harder to find though. For Prieur wire you can check with American Fencer Supply or just contact Prieur directly. Depends on how much of a hurry you are in. If you can post a pic it would help to tell you for sure.
    Just another lost soul saved by the (hit) First Church of EPEE!

Bona Na Croin. "Neither Collar nor Crown"

HDG

Prieur Reel Replacement Cable

While looking for something else, I found this at SwordMasters -- should meet your needs.

Some options for reel wire

Uhlmann Style from BG
    Scroll Down to see the cord

Favero Cord from Sword Masters
    Favero Cord

LP style cord from Sword Masters
    LP cord

Prieur Style Cord from Sword Masters
    Prieur Style

Overhead Flexible Reel Wire
    Overhead

As suggested by other people the Prieur or the overhead wire is probally your best bet. You could call Sword Masters and explain what your set up is, and he might have a sugestion to help you.
    A vulture boards an airplane, carrying two dead raccoons. The stewardess looks at him and says, "I'm sorry, sir, only one carrion allowed per passenger."

Quote Originally Posted by HDG
    While looking for something else, I found this at SwordMasters -- should meet your needs.
    Interesting that Swordmasters appears to use the same picture for replacement wire for Prieur, Leon Paul, Favero and Sky (?) reels but does show a different picture for replacement wire for Uhlmann reels.

The type of replacement wire to be used depends on how small a diameter it must go around. Jacketed wire can be used for Uhlmann, Favero and even Leon Paul reels because the diameter is not too small. Leon Paul reels originally were supplied with a fabric jacketed wire.

But Prieur reels and Russion lookalikes (so-called Landmine type) have the wire going around a pulley less than 2 inches in diameter. I have not seen jacketed wire do well in these conditions.

If the wire has to go around a small diameter, wire such as sold for Uhlmann reels just can't take the constant bending. It very quickly cracks and the conductors break.

All of the original wire for the named reels have a fibreglass or synthetic "leader" which resists longitudinal stress. Wire without such support does not seem to do well.

I have replaced wire in over a hundred reels. I recommend buying the replacement wire recommended by the manufacturer.

If you do find an alternative, please use this forum to tell the dozens of armorers who have been looking in vain.
    Whoopee! My avatar is back.

Quote Originally Posted by fencerbill
    Interesting that Swordmasters appears to use the same picture for replacement wire for Prieur, Leon Paul, Favero and Sky (?) reels but does show a different picture for replacement wire for Uhlmann reels..

It's his web master. He does not fence. Does not have a clue that Prieur pic is suppose to be the orange wire?
    Scott has all OEM wire as listed above. Not aftermarket, its the good stuff. The sky reel wire is of course not OEM, he has it made up.

Gary Spruill

I agree with fencerbill. The original is the only way to go. It is actually 3 seperate wires (red, white and yellow) with an inner thread. There are Chinese copies without the inner thread. It is half the price and you will be lucky to get 1/10 the use. Jacketed wires do not work with the Prieur reels.
    Donald Hollis Clinton, Jr.
    DHCJr@juno.com

To Teach is to Learn (Japanese Proverb)

Knowing the rule book by heart means nothing, if you don't understand the rules.