Thread: My new equipment comes in tomorrow!

Just Joined

My new equipment comes in tomorrow!

Well, I ordered some equipment from Blade Fencing (www.blade-fencing.com) last weekend, and it should be in tomorrow.
    I got the 5-Piece starter set (Beginner's glove, jacket, helmet, foil and carrying bag), up 'till now I've been using the generic club equipment.
    I've only been fencing for a few weeks now, so don't know much about quality... but if anyone has anything similar, comments are always appreciated.

On a sidenote, my instructor suggested that I get a visconti grip when I purchase my next foil. What's a good vendor that won't blow my budget? I've heard some mixed reviews about certain places, but I'd like to get a forum-based oppinion too.

Don't forget to buy an underarm protector. You'll need it for all competions, and it's a good idea in practice too.

I think the closest vendor to you is probably Fencing.net itself, you might do best ordering from them and saving on shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph
    Well, I ordered some equipment from Blade Fencing (www.blade-fencing.com) last weekend, and it should be in tomorrow.
    I got the 5-Piece starter set (Beginner's glove, jacket, helmet, foil and carrying bag), up 'till now I've been using the generic club equipment.
    I've only been fencing for a few weeks now, so don't know much about quality... but if anyone has anything similar, comments are always appreciated.
    I never understood why people buy stuff first, and THEN come on the forums asking for comments. doesn't it work better the other way around?

There lots of comments about Blade-fencing. The general concensus is that while their equipment does not completely suck, they customer sevice does.

What I also want to know is why most beginners looking for comments/advice always seem to go to Blade and Physical Chess for their stuff. If you search for "fencing gear" or "fencing equipment" on Google.com, Blade is always on the first page, but so are BG and AF (both much cheaper), and Physical Chess is never on the first page...?
    Last edited by penguin_2000; 04-20-2006 at 10:13 AM.
    Never do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

I wish you luck in the timely reception of your complete and correct order. Also in the longevity of your equipment. Both of which Blade is notorious about. From personal experience they overcharge and cheat people out of money when they can. I had bought a glove from them to replace a glove that was falling apart, after a few months of practice I was back to using the other glove as it was in better condition.

Blog Entries
    Seraph,

Shameless plug for the Fencing.Net Store since this is my site.

We strive to keep our prices at or better than "the market" and since we're in GA you would get quick shipping AND you would be supporting a fencing business in the southeast.

Take a look at the catalog when you're ready to get more gear and definately read up on what people here say about the different vendors; it's pretty consistent with who is judged to have good or bad customer service.

Cheers,
    Craig

On a sidenote, my instructor suggested that I get a visconti grip when I purchase my next foil. What's a good vendor that won't blow my budget? I've heard some mixed reviews about certain places, but I'd like to get a forum-based oppinion too.

Blog Entries
    A new club member ordered a lame from Blade and was rather surprised when it arrived to find the Blade logo was a printed pattern on the lame. When did they start doing this?

I think this convinced all the other club members not to buy anything from Blade ever again.

HDG
    Blade's not my preferred vendor, but I have purchased from them on a few occasions (blades and tip components) and haven't had any problems -- including one return that was my fault.

Is it me or is the name for the saber on their home page, not realy appropate?
    Wanting to escape from the lab.

Quote Originally Posted by EpeeBunney
    Is it me or is the name for the saber on their home page, not realy appropate?
    I wonder what genious would call name a sabre "Fleche". It is indeed stupid.

HDG
    Quote Originally Posted by larkmaj
    I wonder what genious would call name a sabre "Fleche". It is indeed stupid.
    That is the brand name of the blade -- Ukranian I think.

Quote Originally Posted by HDG
    That is the brand name of the blade -- Ukranian I think.
    It is a better name than "Flunge" as well.

On a side note, does anyone have any comments on they Dynamo FIE blades they sell?
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

Dax
    I have a Dinamo(its not Dynamo) FIE blade that I got for a bargain at JOs from triplette. If you like a good siff blade these are ones to look at. The blade seems pretty indestructable and I fence with it a lot, its my practice blade, and it has no little notches when you run your finger down the side(and this is after a lot of hard parries I do every night). Its a really solid dependable blade and I would recommend it, its only my practice weapon because I use a BF FIE blade for tournaments, but it is my backup. Very nice blade IMO, worth the money.

don't buy new grip yet

Seraph,
    Grips are very specific to hand shape and fencing style. Don't buy a new sort of grip until you have tried it out. You can do this by trying other people's equipment at your club, or by trying some from vendors. At competitions, vendors usually have samples of the left and right hand grips that they sell.

Have fun fencing!