Thread: Alumni Support of Collegiate Clubs

Alumni Support of Collegiate Clubs

Ok so I know some college fencing clubs out there (read UMASS) have an alumni network that provides money for things like food at tournaments.

I am interested in more info about what the money is used for, what other clubs use alumni support and how?

And how does the alumni work it, in terms of fundraising deciding what the money should be used for etc

What does the alumni get out of the deal? We were thinking of a newsletter with team updates

UMD sports clubs for next year are setting up tax deductible fundraising accounts for each club, so I'm interested in starting an alumni support group to take advantage of it. Looking for ideas

Thanks
    What's the "real" world again? I don't think I can see it from my window

Blog: http://evileprechaun5.livejournal.com

The organization that I'm most familiar with is Friends of UMass Fencing (FUMF).

Money is collected via annual dues paid by members of the BoD, periodic fundraisers (usually combined with social activities), mostly-unsolicited donations, etc.

Money is used for meetday food (as mentioned), equipment purchases, some team entry fees (PdT, Nationals, as situations warrent), and building a long-term capital fund.

There is a BoD that meets 3-4 times annually to determine direction for the organization and to allocate spending.

FUMF publishes their own newsletter which gets sent to the current team, parents of the current team, and all FUMF members (membership is free). Alumni get that good feeling from being able to help give back to the organization that, presumably, meant so much to them for four (or in many cases, five or even six) years. Newsletter is quarterly (roughly) and distributed electronically (used to be hard-copy, but that gets expensive when you have a longish mailing list and free membership).

The other similar organization that I've been involved with is the alumni support group for Hopkins Fencing, Blue Jays Unlimited. Organized as a part of the overall athletics support for the school. Each team has their own account and people responsible for spending decisions. Standard university solicitations for annual membership at a variety of membership levels. Money is used for long-term largish projects and for gifts to graduating seniors (school blanket).

-B
    "Oh but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Blog Entries
    I can't help you very much--- under current rules, the Smith Fencing Team, because it's a club team, cannot ask alums for money.

which i think is REDICULOUS.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MyrddinsPrecint
    I can't help you very much--- under current rules, the Smith Fencing Team, because it's a club team, cannot ask alums for money.

Which I think is what the FUMF was created to get around. Or, if not, it would certainly help to get around it. Unfortunately, we're all insanely busy with our own lives, and not really centered in one geographic location. (I get the impression that UMass fencers tend to stick around New England for some time after graduation.)

If some enterprising Smithie were to publish a newsletter and give us information (unlike the website, which is rarely updated, it seems), then it might remind us that the Belles exist, and encourage us to give the team some support.

Quote Originally Posted by MyrddinsPrecint

I feel your pain. While this is one silly rule Maryland does not have, we have many many others . There are times being a club stinks, but we have fun with it anyways
    What's the "real" world again? I don't think I can see it from my window

Blog: http://evileprechaun5.livejournal.com

Quote Originally Posted by qatet
    Which I think is what the FUMF was created to get around.
    No. UMass Fencing IS allowed to hit up alumni. Donations, which get routed through the school (losing 8% in the process to the school's alumni administration) are tax deductible, which is NOT true of donations to FUMF (FUMF is a federal tax-exempt organization, but is structured as a social club rather than a charitable organization, and as such doesn't pay taxes but also doesn't result in deductions for donors). Depending on one's goal as a donor there are absolutely times when it's more beneficial for everyone involved to donate without going through FUMF.

-B
    "Oh but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"