Thread: USFA names Jim Page Director of High Performance

USFA names Jim Page Director of High Performance

Just received this email:

The United States Fencing Association is pleased to announce that Jim Page has joined the organization as its Director of High Performance. Jim has had an illustrious career in the world of Olympic Sports, most recently serving as Managing Director of Sport Performance for the United States Olympic Committee. Jim has also worked as a high performance consultant for several other National Olympic Committees, specializing in the design of sport performance plans.

Prior to his administrative career, Jim was an Olympic Athlete and then an Olympic Coach in the sport of skiing. As the head coach of skiing at Dartmouth College, he led his team to the NCAA Championship. These experiences will be of tremendous benefit in his interaction with the coaches and athletes in the fencing world.

During his career at the United States Olympic Committee, Jim was responsible for developing both the athlete support program and the specific program that was instrumental in moving the USA from its previous high of 13 medals to 34 medals at the Salt Lake Olympic Games in 2002.

As Director of High Performance for the United States Fencing Association, Jim will have direct interaction both with coaches and our International Performance Steering Committee. Additionally, Jim will be taking on the task of refining the existing US Fencing High Performance Plan for Beijing 2008 and beyond.

Reporting to Jim will be Andrea Lagan and Corinne Greenman.

Thank you.

Michael Massik
    -B
    "Oh but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

And where does this fall regarding the IPSC?

Does he work under Jane Carter, or does his position oversee her, or is she replaced by Page?

Did Andrea get a job boost as well, above and beyond her well deserved World Championship Team Manager slot?
    "Sometimes we, as coaches, get into that dictator mode where you just tell and you don't listen and you don't try to understand them." Tom Izzo, Mich. St.
    "Fraud is the creation of trust. And then: its betrayal."
    William Black, Ph.D.

I am somewhat familiar with his previous work.

This may be a GREAT move for the USFA.
    Take your time. Read carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Slo-mo
    And where does this fall regarding the IPSC?

Does he work under Jane Carter, or does his position oversee her, or is she replaced by Page?

Did Andrea get a job boost as well, above and beyond her well deserved World Championship Team Manager slot?
    Andrea has a National Office position. In that role she will be reporting to Jim Page, as mentioned in the release.

Jane, as committee chair, is not a salaried employee. Presumably she would retain her position. I assume that Jim Page will be the staff liason with the IPSC.

The email that I've quoted above is all of the information I have on the topic, but it sounds like Jim Page is in the position vacated when Jeff Cohen resigned. I have no information about whether or not any modifications were made to the responsibilities or duties in that position.

-B
    "Oh but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Mo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Epee
    I am somewhat familiar with his previous work.

This may be a GREAT move for the USFA.
    When does he start?

The Momster
    A friend will bail you out of jail,
    a true friend will help you hide the body...
    : )

last Tuesday.

I know of his work and this is a great moved for USFA.
    Tim Loomis
    Ye Olde Armourer MASTER ARMOURER
    DO YOU TRUST YOUR ARMOURER
    GOD Loves His Warriors
    www.yeoldearmourer.com

Mo
    Quote Originally Posted by oiuyt
    Andrea has a National Office position. In that role she will be reporting to Jim Page, as mentioned in the release.

Jane, as committee chair, is not a salaried employee. Presumably she would retain her position. I assume that Jim Page will be the staff liason with the IPSC.

The email that I've quoted above is all of the information I have on the topic, but it sounds like Jim Page is in the position vacated when Jeff Cohen resigned. I have no information about whether or not any modifications were made to the responsibilities or duties in that position.

-B
    Does anyone know his responsibilities and duties? Since this is a salaried positiion and I would assume Andrea's is too, how will this change the running of the HPC?
    I can surely see the need for more oversight of coaches and especially the need for an administrative position for the National coach for use of allocated funds.
    Any answers?
    The Momster

I met him on Thursday. He seems like a very nice guy and very interested in learning as much as he can about fencing.
    Don't let 'em drop it. Don'tlet'emdropit. Stop it... bebop it.

~Charlie Mingus

Could this be something that has taken place while Nancy Anderson is our fearless leader? Or would that be too much for some people to credit her with?
    Whoopee! My avatar is back.

Mo
    Quote Originally Posted by fencerbill
    Could this be something that has taken place while Nancy Anderson is our fearless leader? Or would that be too much for some people to credit her with?
    Why I think you may be right fencer Bill.
    Also Jim Page worked for the US Ski Team. The Winter Olympics just ended. He may have been busy until now and not willing to quit his job for the US Ski Team when they needed him.
    He sounds even better!

Momster

Quote Originally Posted by Mo
    Why I think you may be right fencer Bill.
    Also Jim Page worked for the US Ski Team. The Winter Olympics just ended. He may have been busy until now and not willing to quit his job for the US Ski Team when they needed him.
    He sounds even better!
    Best guess from a bit of surfing is that he wasn't involved with the Torino effort. Found references to his retirement from the USOC in December 2004. He was certainly involved with preparations before Salt Lake.

-B

When did Jeff Cohen depart? We hardly knew ye.
    Whoopee! My avatar is back.

Quote Originally Posted by fencerbill
    When did Jeff Cohen depart? We hardly knew ye.
    It was a while ago. Around last August, I believe. With the extended medical leave prior to that, he was actively with the organization for a fairly short time.

-B