Thread: National Point Standings

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar

National Point Standings

If I'm reading the Athlete's Handbook explanation of how points are calulated and awarded correctly, current standings should be based on the last three events, whatever they were. Is this correct? And events before those are dropped?

I notice that the tables on the USFA website show columns ( in the case of my events ) for the last two NACs highlighted ( in blue ), but the Nationals column is in black and points have not been added into the totals. Is this right, or have the Nationals results been left off by mistake?
    Last edited by Inquartata; 12-24-2005 at 09:11 PM.

Well wouldn't the Nationals results be last year's results and thus not be part of the calculation for this years national rankings?

Mo
    Quote Originally Posted by KShan5[PrFC]
    Well wouldn't the Nationals results be last year's results and thus not be part of the calculation for this years national rankings?
    Summer Nationals for Cadet Junior and Senior counts for this year. For those categories it is the first meet of the season. I am not entirely sure if that is also true for Veterans.
    For the Youth Events, Summer Nationals is the last competition of the season.
    Results for 2005 count for the 2005-2006 Season for the Cadet, Junior and Div 1 age groups.
    Mo
    A friend will bail you out of jail,
    a true friend will help you hide the body...
    : )

The details do seem to depend on which event it involves. The Senior standings have 4 events listed, the points from 3 of which are totalled. Some others only have three, and only the points from two are totalled. From my reading of the Athlete's Handbook Nationals counts until the next year's Nationals...but I could be misinterpreting that...

I'm very confused.

Mo
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquartata
    I'm very confused.
    Yes we know but that is OK!!

Mo
    A friend will bail you out of jail,
    a true friend will help you hide the body...
    : )

I'm bumping this in the hope that as people filter back after Xmas someone can explain which events are counted for calculating point totals and which are dropped, and when...

NB Is it any wonder I am horrified every time someone suggests replacing the present rating system with a "chess-like" points system? I can't even figure this relatively simple business out, much less a math-intensive rating-seeding scheme...

Quote Originally Posted by KShan5[PrFC]
    That's the whole point of them being "rolling points"

And another bump, after the ahem! extensive site outage...

Inq:

As I read the Athlete Handbook, it's the best 2 0f 3 of the Vet's events, plus points (if any) from the Vet's World Champs.

In the points table you referred to, for most of the competitors, the points from Summer Nats are less than either of the two Vet's events in 2005...so they fall by the wayside. Where there is no March/December score, the Summer Nats points seem to be added in properly.

Hi!

If I'm reading the Athlete's Handbook explanation of how points are calulated and awarded correctly, current standings should be based on the last three events, whatever they were. Is this correct? And events before those are dropped?

I notice that the tables on the USFA website show columns ( in the case of my events ) for the last two NACs highlighted ( in blue ), but the Nationals column is in black and points have not been added into the totals. Is this right, or have the Nationals results been left off by mistake?
    When I look at the .pdf files, nothing is highlighted in blue or any other color. If you tell whether it is vet or senior points list that you are referring to, sorting out everything gets easier.

Have a nice time!

Peter Gustafsson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Slo-mo
    Inq:

As I read the Athlete Handbook, it's the best 2 0f 3 of the Vet's events, plus points (if any) from the Vet's World Champs.

In the points table you referred to, for most of the competitors, the points from Summer Nats are less than either of the two Vet's events in 2005...so they fall by the wayside. Where there is no March/December score, the Summer Nats points seem to be added in properly.
    The Veteran World Championships points, I believe, drop off for figuring team standing after Summer Nationals (they are used solely for seeding, somebody correct me if I'm wrong), and it looks as if the current set-up with age group competitions means that 50-59 and 60+ points for NACs are now the same as the Summer National points (the lower scale, because you're competing only against people in your age bracket).

Quote Originally Posted by PeterGustafsson
    When I look at the .pdf files, nothing is highlighted in blue or any other color.
    Possibly that is another glitch courtesy of my ongoing browser "issues". Although I did check the standings on another computer, which does not refuse to open PDFs...

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Slo-mo

This is part of what puzzles me, since the Summer Nats Veteran events are more recent than the Dec 2004 Vet event, which they seem to be counting instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Peach
    The Veteran World Championships points, I believe, drop off for figuring team standing after Summer Nationals (they are used solely for seeding, somebody correct me if I'm wrong), and it looks as if the current set-up with age group competitions means that 50-59 and 60+ points for NACs are now the same as the Summer National points (the lower scale, because you're competing only against people in your age bracket).
    So, I still don't see why they are using the December 2004 event instead of the more recent Nationals events for totting up the points...

Blog Entries
    So, I still don't see why they are using the December 2004 event instead of the more recent Nationals events for totting up the points...
    I just checked the Vet-40 MS and Vet-combined standings and the PDFs say they are using the December 2005 event. I checked the results for the December 2005 event and they match up with the points (1. Logatchev, 2. Hicha, 3. Poule/Barbour). I'm confused--are we seeing different things? Have you refreshed the page?

Sorry about that, I was looking at an old printout from last October.

So, it's the last TWO events, not the last three, which are used to calculate the standings?

If so, why are the results from Nationals even listed? They are irrelevant, correct?

No, it's the highest points from two of the three meets.

For example, in the Men's Vet -40, if you look at places #5 and #7, they're using the Summer Nats points in the total.

Ah! Thanks, an explanation even a sabre fencer who has been hit in the head one too many times can understand.