Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fencers living abroad

Fencers living abroad

Any fencers living and fencing abroad? Did you join the local country's fencing association? Do you join national level competitions? And are you able to qualify for international events? Are international events usually restricted to "nationalized" or native representation? Or are their expats fencing for the country that they live in?

I'm a long way from competition, but curious about how this works if, for example an American fencer is living long term in a European nation and fencing competitively.
    "Forget your fears and want no more..." VNV Nation

"Our body is a machine for living. It is organized for that, it is its nature. Let life go on in it unhindered and let it defend itself."
    Leo Tolstoy

I'm French, I've lived in the US for a long time, and I could fence in national circuit events, but I couldn't fence in nationals or any qualifying event for nationals (until I had a Green Card). I did join the National organization in the US, just because I could, but also because I wanted to get a rating in the US and help the organization grow.

I couldn't compete in international competitions representing the US, until I had become a permanent resident (i.e. Green Card holder).

I am moving to Switzerland this year: I will join the national organization there, and I will be able to compete in national events (including nationals, even though I don't have the permanent residency nor the citizenship). So this year I will actually belong to 3 different national governing bodies in 3 different countries on 2 different continents. Kinda cool ;-).
    • Epee is the Louis Vuitton bag of fencing: only the best can get it, and the rest of the masses must content themselves with cheap knockoffs (sabre, foil)
    • To not recognize the power of the French grip is to be in denial

Blog Entries
    Am very much a scrub fencer in a weak region for épée in France--so I doubt I would consider circuit events here, even were I to qualify somehow. As it is I get my clock cleaned in regional events. I'm a member of the FFE, for what it's worth.

I fenced in New Zealand a few years ago when I was studying there. All that was required of me to fence nationally was a USFA membership. They allowed me to fence in (and win) the national championships that year, but I could not represent NZ internationally. Of course, their rules are quite relaxed for cultural reasons and the need for more competitors.

Yeah, I suggest if you want to fence abroad, come to New Zealand!

*NOT EUROPE*

I am he
    The bornless one
    The fallen angel watching you..

Blog Entries
    I'm an American living in Germany. I can fence in pretty much any event I want, including satellite FIE tournaments. I've never tried to fence in the qualifier for a regular FIE tournament, but I don't think it would be a problem (other than getting my clock cleaned). The only exception are individual state and national championships, which are restricted to German nationals. I do fence on teams that participate in various national team championships. You're allowed one "foreigner" on a team. I also have been to open tournaments in France and was allowed to fence with no questions--see comment above re: clock cleaning.

Cheers, MR
    Why sabre? Because you don't take heads with the point.

American here fencing at the same club as Sabreur. I fenced my first local tournament the two weeks ago and got my backside handed to me. Pretty sad... However, it was a great learning expierence. I have only been fencing Epee for about a year now...

Fencing at a local German club is fun, but it has taken a while for me not to feel like an outsider as my German is not all that good.

American currently in Britain- I have joined the BFA and I think that since I've done that instead of fencing within their system as an FIE member representing the U.S. I can compete in nationals. I'm not an FIE member at all, in fact, and this year I haven't even renewed my USFA membership because I'll be gone all year.

I also joined the FIS in Italy when I was there for a year, and I could compete in regional and national events.

Quote Originally Posted by annacattiva
    American currently in Britain- I have joined the BFA and I think that since I've done that instead of fencing within their system as an FIE member representing the U.S. I can compete in nationals. I'm not an FIE member at all, in fact, and this year I haven't even renewed my USFA membership because I'll be gone all year.

You can only compete in the british individual nationals if you are a british citizen/passport holder.

You are able to fence the team event at nationals however.

I lived in britain for all of 2004, and after joining the BFA was able to fence all national level competitions except for the national championships.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wpotere
    Fencing at a local German club is fun, but it has taken a while for me not to feel like an outsider as my German is not all that good.
    Probably not a bad thing--I'm comfortable enough in French where cursing comes all-too-naturally. Have to make an effort to remember to cuss in Murkin.

I'm a Canadian who is in the same club as Sabreur and wpotere. Right now I'm waiting on two things. First being somebody from the CFF getting back to me about me getting an FIE licence through them, and then figuring out the competition schedule and what the various things mean. Once I'm over those two hurdles, I'm off to get my clock cleaned vigorously.

Quote Originally Posted by Furry
    I'm a Canadian who is in the same club as Sabreur and wpotere. Right now I'm waiting on two things. First being somebody from the CFF getting back to me about me getting an FIE licence through them, and then figuring out the competition schedule and what the various things mean. Once I'm over those two hurdles, I'm off to get my clock cleaned vigorously.
    Furry ... the CFF handles FIE licenses through their website. So long as you're a member of the CFF (which I think might have to be done through one of the provinces), you can order an FIE license online:

https://www.sporg.com/registration?l..._type=windowed

I don't know about other provinces, but if you need to get your CFF membership through Ontario, you can do it here:

http://www.fencing.on.ca/membership/

Other provincial associations can be found here:

http://www.fencing.ca/provinces_eng.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kalivor
    Furry ... the CFF handles FIE licenses through their website. So long as you're a member of the CFF (which I think might have to be done through one of the provinces), you can order an FIE license online:

https://www.sporg.com/registration?l..._type=windowed

I don't know about other provinces, but if you need to get your CFF membership through Ontario, you can do it here:

http://www.fencing.on.ca/membership/

Other provincial associations can be found here:

http://www.fencing.ca/provinces_eng.htm
    Random response time on a message board better than that of email I sent out. Sometimes the internet is just too gawddamn cool.

I'm Brazilian, started fencing when I came to Canada last year. I pay the provincial association fee, categorie competitive. All I know is that I can compete in the Atlantic Fencing League, don't know if I can go to national events. Doesn't really matter because I compete just for fun. I'm not expecting to become a professional fencer or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo
    I'm Brazilian, started fencing when I came to Canada last year. I pay the provincial association fee, categorie competitive. All I know is that I can compete in the Atlantic Fencing League, don't know if I can go to national events. Doesn't really matter because I compete just for fun. I'm not expecting to become a professional fencer or anything.
    I know that you can definitely compete in the Canadian Selection Circuit events. There are often U.S. fencers there, and occasionally some from further afield.

To compete at Nationals, Easterns or Westerns, the rule is as follows:

"Competitors must be residents of Canada for at least six (6) months before the Championships or be Canadian citizens."

Though I have no idea how they'd know if you were breaking this rule.

Quote Originally Posted by veeco
    I'm French, I've lived in the US for a long time, and I could fence in national circuit events, but I couldn't fence in nationals or any qualifying event for nationals (until I had a Green Card). I did join the National organization in the US, just because I could, but also because I wanted to get a rating in the US and help the organization grow.

I couldn't compete in international competitions representing the US, until I had become a permanent resident (i.e. Green Card holder).

I am moving to Switzerland this year: I will join the national organization there, and I will be able to compete in national events (including nationals, even though I don't have the permanent residency nor the citizenship). So this year I will actually belong to 3 different national governing bodies in 3 different countries on 2 different continents. Kinda cool ;-).
    Veeco, where in Switzerland will you train? Zurich? Which club in Zurich will you join if in Zurich?
    Cheers,
    Pauli
    Beat it...Jab it...Stab it...FENCE IT!!!

***little t***Fiskebäckskil!***
    Take me 2 YVR!

Quote Originally Posted by kalivor
    I know that you can definitely compete in the Canadian Selection Circuit events. There are often U.S. fencers there, and occasionally some from further afield.

To compete at Nationals, Easterns or Westerns, the rule is as follows:

"Competitors must be residents of Canada for at least six (6) months before the Championships or be Canadian citizens."

Though I have no idea how they'd know if you were breaking this rule.
    Hmm... I have a temporary residence license and I have been here for over an year. that should do the trick!

South Africa has exactly the same problem as New Zealand: we are just too dam far away from everything. Our national events are called Opens so that any one can fence in them. We have the odd exchange student and some Egyptians every now and then. People don’t even seem to argue about the National Championships.

I am probably going to live or study in Europe while going to world cups in 2006.
    I will probably spend most of my time in London but will travel around if i can afford it. I can also fence in France (for reasons that I should not mention ) so could any one tell me what some of the best foil clubs in France are and maybe some details?

If any one comes to this neck of the woods then PLEASE fence in our comps!

BoutAfrica, for foil in Paris you should definitely check out the PUC (http://www.puc-escrime.org), which is where the national men's foil coach is teaching, and where most of the national team members fence.
    • Epee is the Louis Vuitton bag of fencing: only the best can get it, and the rest of the masses must content themselves with cheap knockoffs (sabre, foil)

Quote Originally Posted by Pauli
    Veeco, where in Switzerland will you train? Zurich? Which club in Zurich will you join if in Zurich?
    Cheers,
    Pauli
    Hi Pauli,

Check your PMs. Yes I will be in Zurich.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast