Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lexan Masks: Turnaround

Lexan Masks: Turnaround

So, just thought I would add my 2 cents to the debate: when I heard that Lexan Masks were compulsory I was VERY unhappy: I raged against the FIE as I said they were too unsafe too expensive etc...
    Then I went to Worlds and HAD to buy a Lexan Mask. Having used one, I can now say that I beleive them to be safer than mesh masks: (they seem to take a hit better and I think the Lexan is actually stronger than the mesh...)
    Also, now that I have used one, I am a huge fan: the increased visibility is great and I have now bought a fol/epee Lexan mask to go with my sabre mask...
    Everyone who I have spoken to re this issue has felt the same way they are in fact an improvement!!!

thank you sir

Ok. The problem is this: Poeple look [bad] in a Lexonic mask or whatever you call that [deleted]. When you fence you are not looking into the camera and you aren't really focused on a fixed spot. Your eyes look kind of like you're high on something. Ok?
    Last edited by Craig; 10-28-2005 at 11:25 AM. Reason: stop trying to game the word filter...

And your perception of appearance matters why? I was wondering how long it would be before someone who likes the things would show up and tell us why. thanks Cyranox.
    If you give a man a fire, he is warm for the night.
    If you set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

come on man...
    what the hell is wrong with you? Fencing is all about looking good while you f up your opponent. The lexicinica mask makes you look like you are some kind of a retarded cross-eyed rapist. How cool would Darth Vader be if you could see his nerdy eyes though his mask?

Mirror

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseLunge
    come on man...
    what the hell is wrong with you? Fencing is all about looking good while you f up your opponent. The lexicinica mask makes you look like you are some kind of a retarded cross-eyed rapist. How cool would Darth Vader be if you could see his nerdy eyes though his mask?
    RL
    Just add a lightly silvered reflective surface to the backside of the lexan. The spookey part of Darth was a combination of dark and mirror? How cool would it be to see yourself being attacked by you?

Chiz

I agree with Cyranox11, the masks arenít so bad. In a few years time we will probably think that mesh masks look dumb because we're not used to them anymore. My only complaint is that the lexan seems to distort things a bit. I think it might be from the curve

As far as being camera friendly goes, there are numerous occasions were the eyes can be seen through the Lexan in still shots. There are fewer opportunities during live filming but enough to give the viewer an idea of who the fencer is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyranox11
    Everyone who I have spoken to re this issue has felt the same way they are in fact an improvement!!!
    the major problem i have besides safety is that i don't want my opponent seeing my eyes. funny thing with the mesh masks is that during the intensity of the bouts i'm not even bothered by visibility at all..focus on the opponent.

the only really good reason to not like the mask is if they are unsafe. a number of people use the visor mask in my club and i can say that it makes no difference to me whether i can see their eyes or not.

this is two fold:

one, i am looking at their chest anyway

and two, if they are any good they probably have a fixed view point on my chest and don't give any signals by looking where they are about to hit.

the only thing that gets me is when i can see one particular guy's big cheesy smirk after he has hit me.

i would also be very happy to see wireless fencing, if they can do it with no major changes to the rules.

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    No, there are PLENTY of reasons to dislike the things, doc. You must not have been reading the forums.

Now let me counter Cyranox's anecdotal evidence: I have looked at and tried a friend's Lexan mask, I believe them to be unsafe, and I still hate them. "Everyone" I've spoken with feels exactly the same way I do!

Voila. Are we all convinced now?

Quote Originally Posted by the doc
    the only really good reason to not like the mask is if they are unsafe.
    Nope

the 2 others are

2) They are ugly

3) Individual freedom to not use them
    Just forget these broken foil test timings !

Use clear visor masks for fishing,

and video to film your mother-in-law.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquartata
    No, there are PLENTY of reasons to dislike the things, doc. You must not have been reading the forums.

Now let me counter Cyranox's anecdotal evidence: I have looked at and tried a friend's Lexan mask, I believe them to be unsafe, and I still hate them. "Everyone" I've spoken with feels exactly the same way I do!

Voila. Are we all convinced now?
    You won't convince me with your sweet words!

Seriously, I've tried one, and the visibility is great when new. Then they start to fog, get scratched (sabre may not be that bad, but epee fencers will put scratches all over those things...), and well, it kinda sucks. It was actually so bad, that one guy actually built a fan into his mask to help with air circulation. Won't that be cool? We can be really high tech and all have fans in our masks. And add windshield wipers...

Then there's the whole breathability thing. And it weighs a lot more. And did I mention I'm not convinced it's safe? The medical commission hasn't fully approved them in regards to being safe, so you can say you feel safe and entrust your face to it. I won't.

That said, a couple people (and I mean couple. 2. That's it, I haven't found more) I have spoken with like the masks. But they are in the minority here. I mean way minority. They're the odd guys at the tournaments with the long hair, really out of shape, and they smell funny.

There, did I convince anybody?
    We're no threat, people, we're not dirty, we're not mean
    We love everybody but we do as we please
    When the weather's fine,
    We go fishin' or go swimmin' in the sea
    We're always happy
    Life's for livin', yeah, that's our philosophy

The medical comkmission's concern was with CO2 retention rates, which were way high (y'know....becuase of that solid plastic plate in the way of proper ventilation)

A fan mounted inside teh mask for air flow betrays a design flaw in the mask that by itself does not address the medical commission's concerns, thus the need for an outside source of ventilation.

SEMI is concerned that we armorers cannot test the lexan...there's also the fact that there are no specs on torque on the bolts that hold the plate in place....that there HAVE been broken shields and ones falling out DURING fencing...

The arguments for TV coverage are specious at best...the safety concerns from SEMI and medical should've sent these things back to the drawing board....but then there was Roche to just ignore them....thanks, Rene...
    Need fencing equipment? See me at H.O.M. Fencing Supply

Going to your first tournament? Read "Choose yer weapon, Laddie (or: Dude, where's my foil?)"

Quote Originally Posted by achilleus
    Then they start to fog, get scratched (sabre may not be that bad, but epee fencers will put scratches all over those things...), and well, it kinda sucks. It was actually so bad, that one guy actually built a fan into his mask to help with air circulation. Won't that be cool? We can be really high tech and all have fans in our masks. And add windshield wipers...
    i thought they had some spray you could use on the visor that reduced the fogging?? either way, it still scratches pretty bad. i've seen the leon paul model and the owner said they SUCK..and i still don't want my opponent seeing my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by glowstix
    i thought they had some spray you could use on the visor that reduced the fogging?? either way, it still scratches pretty bad. i've seen the leon paul model and the owner said they SUCK..and i still don't want my opponent seeing my eyes.
    It's probably like a diving mask.

Welders tell me the same thing.

Spit works.

HDG
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Nope

the 2 others are

2) They are ugly

3) Individual freedom to not use them
    #3 is not a reason to dislike them, only a reason to dislike their use being mandated.

Apparently the initiation of the clear masks has been postponed again so we donít have to rush out and bye new masks just yet.
    What I want to know is, are new designs coming out in the near future? Leon Paul, All-star, PBT. Are there any plans for new models?

Needs to get Outside Inquartata's Avatar
    Probably. And then, those who have the current ones will have to go out and buy the "new" versions.

Joy upon joy.

plus! what if you sneeze?!?! eeeeeeeeewwww!!
    ex-JAySE SUiCiDE. that name was getting on my nerves.

I'm not really egotistical...I'm more pompous.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkid196
    plus! what if you sneeze?!?! eeeeeeeeewwww!!

i'd imagine the same result as in a regular mask...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast