Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Southeastern Sectionals

2006 Southeastern Sectionals

Just a quick posting to let folks in the Southeast (U.S.) know that the date and place for the 2006 championships have been confirmed. They will be held May 6-7, 2006 in the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex. Additional information and a web site will be provided soon. The paperwork should be forwarded to Bill Becker this week to make it official, although the venue has been secured.

Awesome. Can't wait.

Won't May 6, 2006, be a problem, as it is an SAT testing date?

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/...calenfees.html
    But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

If I'm not mistaken there is more than one SAT testing date... Besides the ACT is better anyway.
    I think. Therefore...I am not a tar heel.

It is an SAT date. It was also the only date we could find in that narrow window between the Divisionals and the SN entry deadline, and national tournaments, and holidays.

I'm not insensitive to the potential conflict. My son starts college this fall and we had to juggle SAT/ACT with school exams and swim meets.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by fluidfencer
    It is an SAT date. It was also the only date we could find in that narrow window between the Divisionals and the SN entry deadline, and national tournaments, and holidays.

I'm not insensitive to the potential conflict. My son starts college this fall and we had to juggle SAT/ACT with school exams and swim meets.
    Thanks, ff. I've also been informed by the USFA that the '...avoidance of test dates (is) a desirable but not necessary condition for setting dates for national competitions....', and the same applies to qualifying events.

Birmingham, AL, May 6-7, 2006. Got it, and we're there.
    Last edited by Goofy; 08-09-2005 at 10:56 AM.
    But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Since the location seems to be nailed down pretty early this year, will information about the host hotel and schedule also be available early. This would seriously help with travel plans, as well as time off work or vacation planning since many of us in the Southeast Section are probably planning on going to nationals this year. Thanks!
    Check out my store:
    Fencing apparel for KOS and others

"Ah.......I see you have a sword! I have one too! They're very manly and tough!" -Mulan

http://fencinggirl.blogspot.com

This is a sexual subliminal message!!!!!

I can't remember the date and location for Sectionals being set so far in advance. The GA Division has yet to set its schedule. Having this date in stone will help out a lot. Thanks for getting this together so early!
    Frank Pratt
    Rome Fencing Club; Rome, GA, USA

We have already blocked rooms at the downtown Sheraton at a cost of $89 (before taxes). Give us some time to get all the details. I will try to coordinate with Bill Becker to get all the information on the SES web page, and it will definitely be on AskFred. The hotel is directly adjacent to the venue, with several decent places to eat (from Subway to fine dining, with a bar). I would like to have arrangements made for a nice place at about half that cost as well, or as close as we can get, which actually won't be that hard but a short distance to drive. I'm talking about a new hotel with warm free breakfast kind of thing.

More later.

Quote Originally Posted by fencergal33
    Since the location seems to be nailed down pretty early this year, will information about the host hotel and schedule also be available early. This would seriously help with travel plans, as well as time off work or vacation planning since many of us in the Southeast Section are probably planning on going to nationals this year. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy

Besides a testing date its also graduation weekend for many colleges.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr2fence
    Besides a testing date its also graduation weekend for many colleges.
    True, but the same could be said for any weekend in May or early June. If you wait until late May or June, you start to run into High School graduations, which causes even more problems, especially in the U19 age group. I know what you're talking about, though. When I was in college, Sectionals was always on graduation weekend (on Mothers Day, usually.) I missed Sectionals my senior year because I was walking at graduation that weekend, despite the fact that the event was a 45 minute drive from campus (as opposed to several hours on the road or an hour in the air during any other year.)

To Davidís credit, this is a big improvement over previous years, where the date was sometimes not announced until just before or just after the New Year ! Having the event planned this early allows High School Junior/Seniors time to plan to take the SAT on another date. Besides, by the time May rolls around, itís too late for the Seniors to get one more SAT score into the colleges, and the Juniors will have another year to get the test out of the way (if they even take the test that early.)
    Frank Pratt

Did Birmingham get any damage from the hurricane? If so, is everything still set to go with the venue and date?
    Check out my store:

"Ah.......I see you have a sword! I have one too! They're very manly and tough!" -Mulan

Quote Originally Posted by fencergal33
    Did Birmingham get any damage from the hurricane? If so, is everything still set to go with the venue and date?
    I don't think so. I was in Birmingham a couple of days ago and there did not seem to be any serious damage. A lot of people were without power, but I doubt that there is anything that will cause a problem for Sectionals in May.
    Frank Pratt

ಠ_ಠ
    Blog Entries
    April 29-May 6 Sat-Sat Examinations

i hope epee's on sunday

Or maybe you won't have an exam on the last day. Maybe you'll get lucky and your last exam will be Thursday or Friday. I thought you picked up saber anyway?
    Check out my store:

Does anyone have the entry form? Also, does anyone know what days u-19 and div 1a ME are on?
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moment, lost in time. Gone, like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die" -Phil Ken Sebben

Quote Originally Posted by D+F+P=Hadouken!
    Does anyone have the entry form? Also, does anyone know what days u-19 and div 1a ME are on?
    Here is a link with th sectional flyer on it, second news item from the top: http://www.va-usfa.org/
    Just another lost soul saved by the (hit) First Church of EPEE!

Bona Na Croin. "Neither Collar nor Crown"

Just as a note to those concerned about the SATs, you can probably arrange to take them in Birmingham, if you can find a testing site near the center. Assuming you're not fencing one of the conflicting events...

Wow...am I the only person in the Southeast that really doesn't want to go to Sectionals b/c it's actually farther away than nationals?

edit: (when did I become a senior member...time flies)
    I now dangle to the left....my tassle. Get your minds out of the gutter.
    "Martin was not an optimist; he was a prisoner of hope." Optimism is about assuming there's evidence that justifies your outlook while hope is about creating the evidence and procuring your own happiness or vision of the world. - Professor West

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg2121
    Wow...am I the only person in the Southeast that really doesn't want to go to Sectionals b/c it's actually farther away than nationals?

edit: (when did I become a senior member...time flies)
    You are not the only one. I have never been to them. For that much time/travel/money, I will just go to a NAC. Not sure why anyone goes to them that is not fairly local, except for those who are div 1 or missed their slot in the Div II/III and is willing to spend the money on a long shot.
    Just another lost soul saved by the (hit) First Church of EPEE!

Bona Na Croin. "Neither Collar nor Crown"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast