View Poll Results: What kind of shoes do you fence in?

Voters
285. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adidas Adistar

21 7.37%
  • Adidas D'artagnan

20 7.02%
  • Adidas D'artagnan II

36 12.63%
  • Adidas Equipment

28 9.82%
  • Adidas Stabil 5

14 4.91%
  • Other fencing shoes

58 20.35%
  • Other non-fencing shoes

108 37.89%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of shoes do you use?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

What kind of shoes do you use?

At the Pomme de Terre this weekend, I noticed that a high number of people were using Adidas Stabil 5 court shoes, and further that an especially high number of good fencers were using them. in fact, 3 of the six opens (ME, MF, and WS) were won by fencers using Stabil 5. In my limited time in fencing, I think this is the first time I've seen a specific, non-fencing shoe gain such a high level of popularity, and I wonder just how much popularity it has gained.

Thus, I'm posting this INCREDIBLY flawed poll.

-m

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Still using my Asyms... but I've finally succeeded in wearing a hole through the sole of the shoe... i'll be looking at stuff at nationals / other shoes when I get back, and make a decision as to what to get sometime in late july / early august.

-w

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I'm on my second pair of black-stripe Adidas. I'm not sure they have a name other than black-stripe...? I picked them up about 3 years ago on a closeout, since I liked the first pair so much, and kept them until now, when the first pair finally truly bit the dust. They fit just right.

I tried the Asymmetrical ones but really didn't like them at all, mostly because the heel was too wide compared to the ball of the foot, so it felt like my foot would be slipping out all the time.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Only just bought my new d'Artagnan, find them much lighter than my previous gymshoes, therefore easier to fence with.
    On the other hand, no comparison to any other shoes.
    And despite the difference in weight of shoes, I wonder whether really the shoes create THE essential difference.
    As I said, I wonder.....
    Curious to follow this thread....
    Beat it...Jab it...Stab it...FENCE IT!!!

***little t***Fiskebäckskil!***
    Take me 2 YVR!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I'm loving the Asyms, but my pair will probably be retired come year's end. I'll definitely be checking out the LP shoes at Nationals. It looks like a choice between that and the Adidas Stabils.

It stinks that you can't get the really fun-colored Stabils in the US.

darius

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    PBT Fortunas
    But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I chose other fencing shoes; I have a pair of onitsuka tiger fencing LA's that I use half of. I wear the back shoe, but my front shoe is a running shoe, from asics.
    "Their interpretation is, however, refuted most elegantly by your system of radioactive atom + amplifier + charge of gun powder + cat in a box"
    -Albert Einstein, in a letter to Erwin Schrödinger

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I like my D'art I's, but will probably be in the market for new shoes once I finish de-ghettoing my fencing gear (read: getting all my own stuff). I'm looking at either the Adistars or the Satbil 5, although I don't like how high the heel seems on the Stabils.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordway
    I'm on my second pair of black-stripe Adidas. I'm not sure they have a name other than black-stripe...? I picked them up about 3 years ago on a closeout, since I liked the first pair so much, and kept them until now, when the first pair finally truly bit the dust. They fit just right.

I tried the Asymmetrical ones but really didn't like them at all, mostly because the heel was too wide compared to the ball of the foot, so it felt like my foot would be slipping out all the time.
    I dearly loved my black stripes. Dearly. To the point that I get appallingly violent feelings when I see people wearing them, regardless of the apparent size.

I wear the retro blue-stripe Adidas, but they're starting to stretch out, so I'm watching reports about the new LP shoes with particular interest.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by epeemike81
    At the Pomme de Terre this weekend, I noticed that a high number of people were using Adidas Stabil 5 court shoes, and further that an especially high number of good fencers were using them. in fact, 3 of the six opens (ME, MF, and WS) were won by fencers using Stabil 5. In my limited time in fencing, I think this is the first time I've seen a specific, non-fencing shoe gain such a high level of popularity, and I wonder just how much popularity it has gained.

Thus, I'm posting this INCREDIBLY flawed poll.

-m
    Many non-specific shoes have gained popularity with competitiors. Especially in Epee, and especially abroad.

The earlier Stabils were popular, but not as.

I remember when all the epee fencers were wearing the Adidas Feather Tennis shoes, some still wear the newere models.
    And I remember the 88 Olympics with the whole French Epee Team wearing Nikes.

And of course the Asics Tiger Volleyball shoes. Everyone wore those. From Mike Marx in his jr. days, to Olympic Champ Eric Srecki.
    We're no threat, people, we're not dirty, we're not mean
    We love everybody but we do as we please
    When the weather's fine,
    We go fishin' or go swimmin' in the sea
    We're always happy
    Life's for livin', yeah, that's our philosophy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Shoes

I just got the Addidas Adistar Hi tops and they are really comfortable and i like the added material over the stabilizer area so the inserts don't rise up out of the groove and the hi-tops are a little higher than the older hitops and they are true to size. they are really a great shoe
    "I know you're tired, and I'm supposed to give some sort of inspirational speech or something...but remember this....Pain heals, chicks dig scars, but glory is forever."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I've just started wearing a pair of Hi-Tec Venom XP squash shoes. I think they're great so far, but I wonder how long the gum rubber sole will last, especially on the side of my back foot. My last pair of fencing shoes were DArtagnan I's which I wore into the ground. I couldn't quite face wearing the D'Artagnan II's. They seem less well made than Adidas shoes in the past for the same price. (And the colors don't look so good with whites.)
    The Venom XP's have a low profile, good traction (after the first hour of slipping on dusty floors) and are very light. I think the construction of the heel is better for lunging than the Stabil 5's. At first, I couldn't feel the floor as well with them, but changing my orthotics around helped that. They feel wickedly cushy after my past-their-prime D'Artagnan's.
    Here's a pic.
    http://www.nrgsports.co.uk/products_...ef1761ac0ad8ff
    This is the women's style. The men's styles have different (more manly ) colors.
    The Venom XP is being closed out and will be replaced by Venom II in August, but I talked to a Hi-Tec dealer who said the new model will be almost the same as this one.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I picked up a pair of these in February and really like them. I supplement them with a mixed pair of an old adidas black stripe shoe on my back foot and the front foot of a pair of asymetricals for tournaments with nicely padded strips.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I dual-purpose these for squash and fencing, and they work great. The right shoe slides around a little on lunges, but that's just because my right foot is a little smaller than my left, and I couldn't really afford to get two pairs and mix-n-match.
    A second decade of excellence

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I've just got to know. With the Stabils, is the shoe very heavy and does it allow you to move as well (or comparably as well) as the Dart I's? If these shoes are that good then I'd much rather get them than the Adistars.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by epeemike81
    ...Adidas Stabil 5...
    Not the 'Stabil 5' shoe, but...
    Fencing is my only PvP.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelFencer
    I've just got to know. With the Stabils, is the shoe very heavy and does it allow you to move as well (or comparably as well) as the Dart I's? If these shoes are that good then I'd much rather get them than the Adistars.

The Stabils are heavier, but the actual weight is really irrelevant to movement.

The most important element of movement is fit.

For example, take a look at basketball players. Some them are extremely quick, and able to jump ridiculously high. Some of them wear some of the heaviest shoes available, yet they still are able to accelerate, change direction and leap.

So, if you really want light shoes, don't get the Stabils. If you understand that you'll adjust, and get used to the weight and they fit your foot, go for 'em.
    When the weather's fine,
    We're always happy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I have those hideously green Asics. I've heard some not-so-nice things about their durability, so I picked up two pairs. I'm hoping they'll hold up as well as my old D'arts did, which gave me a good year and a half of life, which is more than I get out of my normal sneakers.
    Out Of The Ashes

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by achilleus
    The Stabils are heavier, but the actual weight is really irrelevant to movement.

The most important element of movement is fit.

For example, take a look at basketball players. Some them are extremely quick, and able to jump ridiculously high. Some of them wear some of the heaviest shoes available, yet they still are able to accelerate, change direction and leap.

So, if you really want light shoes, don't get the Stabils. If you understand that you'll adjust, and get used to the weight and they fit your foot, go for 'em.

Actually... I wear the Stabil 5s and they are very light. Probably the lightest court shoe I've ever worn. I would guess that while they are slightly heavier than the the D'arts, the difference is negligible. Also, the heel is not high at all. Despite the appearance, your foot sits very close to the ground, similar to the addidas Samba soccer shoe, althought with more padding.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by fencingguy
    Actually... I wear the Stabil 5s and they are very light. Probably the lightest court shoe I've ever worn. I would guess that while they are slightly heavier than the the D'arts, the difference is negligible. Also, the heel is not high at all. Despite the appearance, your foot sits very close to the ground, similar to the addidas Samba soccer shoe, althought with more padding.
    I take it you've never worn the Hi-Tec squash shoes? Or some of the other Adidas volleyball shoes? Or the Adidas feather tennis shoes? All those come in lighter than the Stabils.

They are great shoes thought...
    When the weather's fine,
    We're always happy

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast