Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005-2006 USFA season - where are the NACs

JEC

2005-2006 USFA season - where are the NACs

As posted earlier (by Goofy) see: http://www.fencing101.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18260

This is the proposed schedule for the 2005-2006 season:

October 7-10, 2005: Division II/ Cadet/Youth 14
    November 11-14, 2005: Junior/Cadet
    December 9-11, 2005: Division I/Veteran
    January 13-16, 2006: Division I/Junior
    February 17-20, 2006: Junior Olympic Championships
    March 10-13, 2006: Division II/III/Veteran
    April 21-24, 2006: Division I/Youth 14/12/10
    June 30-July 9, 2006: Division I & Summer National Championships - Atlanta

Atlanta is the location for the 2006 Div I /Summer Champs.
    I also heard a rumor that there will be a NAC in Houston!!
    Anybody knows anything other rumors?
    Epee is the Sword.

My only addition to this topic is an eternal gripe about no national events happening on the upper east coast.
    Out Of The Ashes

And they won't be until those darned blue states turn red. Then that would be an indicator that the economy has gone through the basement and caving in fast, so that convention center space can be had for pennies. The downside is that none of us can afford to fence anymore.
    =)=///

Question

Why is it Summer nationals are only held in the states that will insure 90+ degree heat in July?
    The Epeeman, the Epeeman, in frayed and tattered gear
    Can lick his weight in wildcats and can drink his weight in beer
    And for the foil and sabreman he hasn't any fear
    For he's a late edition of the dashing Musketeer.

ಠ_ಠ
    Blog Entries
    now you can complain some more about the heat: i'm fairly certain one of the nacs will be in miami, and i think it'll be the first div2.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle
    now you can complain some more about the heat: i'm fairly certain one of the nacs will be in miami, and i think it'll be the first div2.
    Not as bad as the Vetren World Champs in Tampa in August!
    luckily I still got 12+ years before I can fence there but it will be hot.

Besides Miami in October Vs. Atlanta in July thats an easy choice. It will only be in the 80's here then. plus in Miami if you go out to dinner smelling of Sportscreme you just fit in with the retireees that flood the area about october.

I just always thought the USFA did the schedule backwards because they were always North in the winter and south in the summer.
    The Epeeman, the Epeeman, in frayed and tattered gear
    Can lick his weight in wildcats and can drink his weight in beer
    And for the foil and sabreman he hasn't any fear
    For he's a late edition of the dashing Musketeer.

Quote Originally Posted by broncofencer
    Why is it Summer nationals are only held in the states that will insure 90+ degree heat in July?
    Can you say "cheap convention center space"? (I knew you could )

I suspect it has more to do with sadism on the USFA's part. Last year's JOs in Cleveland, in February? Then the nationals in Charlotte? Blegh. Blegh, I say.

The downside is that none of us can afford to fence anymore.
    Yup. Which is why I can't get to these things in Houston and Sacramento, even if my fencing were up to shape for them.
    Out Of The Ashes

Last year's JOs in Cleveland, in February?
    That was actually quite pleasant. Cleveland/Columbus are easy driving distance from Western NY. And it was, what ... in the 30s, with a light dusting of snow?

Anybody remember that youth NAC in Saratoga in...Feb...02?? We got something like 4-5 feet of snow over the course of the three day weekend. I desperately wanted to trade in my per diem for a lift ticket to Whiteface.

darius

That was actually quite pleasant. Cleveland/Columbus are easy driving distance from Western NY. And it was, what ... in the 30s, with a light dusting of snow?
    Cleveland might be a nice, leisurely morning drive from Rochester, but it's an 8 hour slog from New Paltz...magnified by the presence of two people who don't know the meaning of the words "shut up I'm trying to sleep back here". And maybe I'm just too used to Queens weather, or maybe you're just used to freezing in Rochester, but I was pretty frigid.
    Out Of The Ashes

HDG
    Although we are mostly rubes and illegals down here, we have been introduced to this futuristic device called "air conditioning", and although its magic scares us terribly, it does keep us cool.

ಠ_ಠ
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HDG
    Although we are mostly rubes and illegals down here, we have been introduced to this futuristic device called "air conditioning", and although its magic scares us terribly, it does keep us cool.
    i've learned firsthand that just because you have AC in a building doesn't mean it works, or works well enough to cool down a big fencing tournament.

i've learned firsthand that just because you have AC in a building doesn't mean it works, or works well enough to cool down a big fencing tournament.
    For a gym, yes.

Convention center, umm, no, usually those have pretty dependable climate control. The convention buisiness is pretty cutthroat, and if word gets around that a facility doesn't have reliable climate control, its not going to book many tournaments.

Of course, this might lower the price then, and make it more attractive to the USFA!

Was there AC at the Merchandise Mart in Charlotte last year? it got HOT in there... so it was either horribly ineffective, or non existant... anyone happen to know which?

-w

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Apostrophe
    Was there AC at the Merchandise Mart in Charlotte last year? it got HOT in there... so it was either horribly ineffective, or non existant... anyone happen to know which?
    Insufficiently effective. It was in existance and turned on. It merely had trouble handling the load by early afternoon.

-B :)
    "Oh but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

I think, as a general rule, USFA should avoid the cattle barns like the Merchandise Mart and the one in San Diego. The looks aren't that great ya know. I prefer the sleeker Denver, Richmond, Sacramento, Austin, Cleveland... venues.
    =)=///

I agree with Eric, and would like to add the GWCC in Atlanta, and the Chattanooga convention center to the list.

-w

HDG
    A/C issues aside, anybody have any firm info on sites? The coming season will be my first since returning to fencing to enter NACs. Looking forward to getting schooled...

ಠ_ಠ
    Blog Entries
    i'm decently firm on the miami one. can you or anyone confirm it?

and if its in the same convention center as sectionals were a few years back, id like to think it would be good. if memory serves me correctly, it was huge and had pretty good ac.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast