Thread: Tip tape and general call for advice

Just Joined

Tip tape and general call for advice

Howdy y'all. First of all I want to thank everybody who welcomed me into the forum. Ahh shucks! Second, sorry for the lack of prescence on the boards, been hectic here in Japan with the schools. And third help!!!

My first question is "Does anybody have a decent link to where I can get colored tip tape? Especially purple if they even make such a critter?" I've been kinda helping out the local high school fencing team and they have been ultra cool in letting me coach and getting in some bouts. So I want to get them a little omiage (present), especially since the only colors available here are just your standard black and white.

As for my second question-and this is going out to epeeists-especially to the queen herself-Do you have any coaching tips that I can use for the kids? One of them, Daisuke, is a frickin epee machine! The coach is good but, being Japanese, he tends to be STRICTLY by the book, and though the kids' forms are textbook example of classical fencing, they sometimes can be predictable. High school nationals are coming up in mid August and I would really like to teach them somethings that are a little bit outside the box to give them that extra edge. ANYTHING would be extemely appreciated ranging from footwork to tactics. Thanks in advance everyone!
    "The enemy's gate is down!"
    Ender Wiggin

Quote Originally Posted by aztecookami
    Howdy y'all. First of all I want to thank everybody who welcomed me into the forum. Ahh shucks! Second, sorry for the lack of prescence on the boards, been hectic here in Japan with the schools. And third help!!!

My first question is "Does anybody have a decent link to where I can get colored tip tape? Especially purple if they even make such a critter?" I've been kinda helping out the local high school fencing team and they have been ultra cool in letting me coach and getting in some bouts. So I want to get them a little omiage (present), especially since the only colors available here are just your standard black and white.

As for my second question-and this is going out to epeeists-especially to the queen herself-Do you have any coaching tips that I can use for the kids? One of them, Daisuke, is a frickin epee machine! The coach is good but, being Japanese, he tends to be STRICTLY by the book, and though the kids' forms are textbook example of classical fencing, they sometimes can be predictable. High school nationals are coming up in mid August and I would really like to teach them somethings that are a little bit outside the box to give them that extra edge. ANYTHING would be extemely appreciated ranging from footwork to tactics. Thanks in advance everyone!

hmmm... I would suggest teaching them how to manipulate tempo with their footwork. Like during a bout, mix up the length and speed of the steps, to create a very confusing footwork pattern. Of course, this requires very constant drilling of footwork to implement effectively. Teach them how to duck to avoid attacks. Make it fast duck by basically "letting go" of the leg muscles and falling fast to the gound (though still in control). These moves can suprise many opponents.

Also, as stated in my quote, good fencing is the proper application of space and time, space being the distance, time being the tempo. If your fencers can attack at the right distance at the correct moment, they will score. The best way to cultivate these qualities is through footwork drilling and lessons emphasizing the proper use of technique in an advantageous time. Make sure to master base skills. You learn how to sit in en garde before you can advance and retreat, you learn how to parry before you can riposte, you learn how to make a regular attack before you learn how to do a beat attack. Look at the FOUNDATION of every action, and strengthen the foundation before you strengthen anything else. Heres an example of a beat attack, with the top most important qualities that need to be strengthened on the top.

Beat attack v 1.0
    En Garde
    |
    |
    Footwork
    |
    |
    Extention
    |
    |
    Lunge
    |
    |
    Lunge+ Extention
    |
    |
    Beat
    |
    |
    Beat+Lunge+Extention
    |
    |
    Proper Tempo and Distance

You can figure out other actions for yourself, but think of the foundation when contemplating the end result.

Thats my advice anyway.
    Last edited by D+F+P=Hadouken!; 06-25-2005 at 12:04 PM.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. And from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moment, lost in time. Gone, like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die" -Phil Ken Sebben

Just Joined
    Thanks! I'll definately put your advice to work this upcoming practice. BTW love the Hadouken! Just as cool as Kame Kame Ha!
    Ender Wiggin

All purpose tape for fencing is Gaffer's tape. This is a type, not a brand, of tape used by the music industry. It comes in multiple widths and multiple colors, 1/2", 3/4", 1", 2", 3" and just about every color including camoflage.

The larger sizes are good for strips while the 3/4" and 1" are good for tip tape. For beginners 1" is probably better as 3/4" just makes it around the tip.

Look on the web for "Camera Tape" as this is what the smaller sizes are usually called. If you have a large camera store, you can probably find it there.

There is purple. I know 2 Armorers that use that as their primary color.
    Donald Hollis Clinton, Jr.
    DHCJr@juno.com

To Teach is to Learn (Japanese Proverb)

Knowing the rule book by heart means nothing, if you don't understand the rules.

Just Joined
    ARIGATOO and GRACIAS Donald! I think you just made a bunch of Japanese high school fencers REALLY HAPPY!!! You are sooo rockin' like Dokken!
    Ender Wiggin

Purple tip tape? Did anyone ask Purple_Fencer? He sells equipment and I bet if anyone would have purple tip tape, he'd have a line on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Larrison
    Purple tip tape? Did anyone ask Purple_Fencer? He sells equipment and I bet if anyone would have purple tip tape, he'd have a line on it...
    As a matter of fact, I do....I'm one of the armorers Donald was referring to (I THINK the other's Dan Dechaine....but I'm not sure). When I was fencing foil competitively, my foils had purple tape...and purple's my company color!

aztecookami....drop me a line.

BTW....sorry I didn't see this sooner...the competitive drum corps season in California just started and we had three shows in three days...I'm beat!
    Need fencing equipment? See me at H.O.M. Fencing Supply

Going to your first tournament? Read "Choose yer weapon, Laddie (or: Dude, where's my foil?)"

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Fencer
    As a matter of fact, I do....I'm one of the armorers Donald was referring to (I THINK the other's Dan Dechaine....but I'm not sure).
    You're an Armorer? You don't drink beer, you don't like bagpipe music and you never go with us to eat sushi. Just kidding! You and Dan were the ones I was talking about.
    DHCJr@juno.com

Knowing the rule book by heart means nothing, if you don't understand the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by DHCJr
    You're an Armorer? You don't drink beer, you don't like bagpipe music and you never go with us to eat sushi.
    Sorry....I fail all the required armorer tests *hangs head in shame*

Guess I'm the designated driver next time I work an event, huh???

Going to your first tournament? Read "Choose yer weapon, Laddie (or: Dude, where's my foil?)"

...the competitive drum corps season in California just started and we had three shows in three days...I'm beat!
    Is that some sort of drummer humor?
    Just push the button!

Quote Originally Posted by DHCJr
    You're an Armorer? You don't drink beer, you don't like bagpipe music and you never go with us to eat sushi. Just kidding! You and Dan were the ones I was talking about.
    OK, so I pass the three criteria. Does that mean I'm a Certified Level III?
    Available Now!!"The Care and Feeding of All Things Fencing", Third Edition go to The Armorer's Store or Fencing.net

Quote Originally Posted by Mergs
    No....just certifiable!!! but we all knew that!

What session of Armorer's college are you attending??

Quote Originally Posted by Chafunkta
    Is that some sort of drummer humor?
    Nope....I'm a brass player....three days in a row is ROUGH on the feet and the lips. At least the fields we were on were pretty good...1 of them were the new artificial type with crushed tires underneath the actual surface. VERY nice to march on. When you DON'T remember anything specific (like a dip or other rough spot), that means it was a good field.

No that is just 3 of the attributes of an Armorer. The first test is tearing tape and then there is . . .
    DHCJr@juno.com

No....just certifiable!!! but we all knew that!

What session of Armorer's college are you attending??
    Ah, yes, there is that.

I'm going to the third session. Have you finished with that little tidbit I sent you?
    Available Now!!"The Care and Feeding of All Things Fencing", Third Edition go to The Armorer's Store or Fencing.net

HDG
    Quote Originally Posted by aztecookami
    http://store.yahoo.com/cinemasupplies/per1camtapwh.html

Ah, yes, there is that.

I'm going to the third session. Have you finished with that little tidbit I sent you?
    Little???? We need to work on your definitions!

Drum corps season makes it really difficult to get to it...I'm still plowing through it.

We're in the same session! Just a warning...if we end of rooming together...I snore.

We're in the same session! Just a warning...if we end of rooming together...I snore.
    WARNING! My wife wears ear plugs to bed. Especially if I've had few beers, which I intend to do at the Finish Line. I understand 'Big Dan' has a penchant for the brew, too! Maybe we should be at opposite ends of the hall and give'em stereo!